Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Sure could use some help with these items. Ancients and old British perhaps?

YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 3, 2018 5:10PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Again I am turning toward other members here looking for help with the tokens I have imaged below.
These belong to a neighbor who wanted to know what these are. He explained they were dug up from a church property in England some time ago.
He indicated that the few he handed me is part of a considerable bag full he still has. He said: “I just took a few out to show you”. He has no idea what they are, if they have any worth or if they are collectables.
I have exhausted my searches and run against a brick wall.
Any help or suggestion is much appreciated.
Here it goes:
None of the items is magnetic or made of precious metal. It appears the metals are possibly brass, bronze and or copper and perhaps clay or similar.
Thank you so much for your input and help.

A Aggrington Conservative Associstion – 1 1/2D Coin?
Did not find any info about a coin at all

B ** Also have no luck with this token.** ( Perhaps Clay?)
When I picked it up from my desk, it broke in to 3 pieces without applying
any pressure. The unusual appearance caused me to look at the brake-
lines. I came to the conclusion that it might be a clay token or similar.
Again, can anyone identify this token?

C Holyhead Harbourworks Token
My search so far brought up some town and its harbour somewhere in
Great Britain. However I could not determine what exactly this token is.
Could it be a employee ID or similar? dimensions are:
Diam: 40mm thick: 1.2mm weight: 14.0 gr

D ** Is this Roman or Greek or something else?**
I am totally lost on this one.

E ** Again, is this roman or greek or something totally different?**
I have absolutely No idea.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Comments

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

D & E are not greek/roman or even ancient for that matter. What I dunno.

• bosoxbosox Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2018 5:32PM
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • bosoxbosox Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭✭

My guess is the Accrington token was a internal (perhaps a bar token) token for these guys;

https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/search/archives/49f3190e-2287-30a7-b91a-10caa2a4bd81

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2018 7:20PM

The first token has the words in the front 'Ardill Leeds', apparently the manufacturer. Apparently this was a three generation family firm, starting out as 'John Ardill & Co.' in the 1870s. It made 'Metal Checks' and wound up its affairs about 1960. The firm has several mentions on the internet.

B part of the embossed seal on a filled bottle? Early version of plastic?

D & E are very small! [Edit: in the sense of being lightweight compared to a half-penny or farthing]

• TitusFlaviusTitusFlavius Posts: 317 ✭✭✭

D and E appear to be late medieval, or early modern, European. E I'm pretty sure is a jetton, which I think I've seen attributed to Trier. D may be something similar, but perhaps from a different issuer. Do I make out fragments of Saint Patrick in the right-hand image of D? It's not my area of expertise, but those are my best guesses.

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2018 4:17AM

The Holyhead piece is a tool check, for a worker to check tools from the company for company work. The hole in the piece is for affixing it to a nail or peg on a board with the corresponding number.

D and E appear to be counter pieces or reckoning pieces used for counting money. E might be German in manufacture but could have been used on the continent or Britain.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you all so far.
    hopefully there will be more suggestions.
    Have a great weekend all

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2018 7:46PM

D and E are very tempting, but I was unable to get helpful results on the partial legends I see.
    \D:
    PAVLVS PP LV?
    TANI FANI S PAT

E:
    D? KVBC DC?
    many letters but can't read them very well

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2018 2:15AM

A. This is a token, not a coin. the use of "D" rather than "P" to denote the denomination indicates it is a predecimal token, dating from before the introduction of decimal currency in 1970. Being issued by a club, it is probably a club token: in the early 1900s, there were restrictions on two things: drinking after hours, and gambling. These tokens could allow you to do both, within the confines of the club, without technically breaking any laws.

B. This isn't a token, but a (presumably wax) seal of some kind, perhaps on a bottle of machine oil.

C. Holed numbered tokens from companies are usually what are known as "worker's checks" or "tool checks". For worker's checks, the company would have a token board, and a worker would take their token off the board when they arrived on shift, and put it back on the board when they clocked off. Management could then see who was on-site at any given time. "Tool checks" work on much the same principle, but they are for workers taking tools, so that the company knows where specific tools are at any given time if they are needed elsewhere.

D. This one is an actual coin, the only "coin" in your list, from the Papal States. Prior to Italian unification in the 1870s, the Pope personally ruled a large slice of central Italy; this coin is from that country. This one is a copper quattrino of Pope Paul III, who was Pope from 1534 to 1549. This is older than most of us have Italian coin catalogues for, but I did find this one on NumisBids which looks very similar.

E. This is not a coin, nor a token or medal, but a Jeton, or "rechenpfennig". Made in Nuremberg, Germany from the 1500s to the 1700s, they are very commonly found by metal detectorists in Britain and mainland Europe. They were used on "counting boards" to add up large sums, kind of like a mediaeval abacus. They were also used as card game gambling tokens at times when gambling with actual money was illegal. You can read up more about them on the UK Detector Finds Database website; that database calls this basic design the "rose/orb" type.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2018 7:19AM

SnapX,
    thank you so much for all that very interesting and comprehensive info.

you must have a ton of experiemce and knowledge in that field. personally, I have very little if any.
    I will persue your info and see how far I can get with it.
    As my neighbor indicated, there is "bag-Full of that stuff still at his home.
    I might come back with more if that is ok with you guys.

Thank you and have a great Sunday.