Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Questionable Ebay Bidding?

Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. I've always heard about supposed "shilling" on bids on the board here but had never myself actually run across anything fishy. However today I was looking at a 95 Vlad Bowmans Best PSA 9 and noticed there was an auction that was trading above multiple BINs for the same card/grade.

Card in question:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/142764117703?_trksid=p2471758.m4704

Currently at ~$71 + 3.50 shipping. There are BINS for Mint 9s for 65 flat w/ free ship. I looked at the bidding and saw this:

and looked at the bidders profile and they have only bid on 6 items with 2 retractions.

Does this look suspicious to anyone else? Am I just missing something?

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
  • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
  • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
  • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

Comments

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2018 6:20PM

Honestly it’s $70 So you think your getting shilled out of $5-$10 bucks?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

38% bidding history with seller? Not likely. Seems more like inexperienced chip bidding to me.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    38% bidding history with seller? Not likely. Seems more like inexperienced chip bidding to me.

Makes sense.I hope that's the case because if people are shilling for <$100 cards then that wouldn't bode well for higher end items.

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

@addicted2ebay said:
    Honestly it’s $70 So you think your getting shilled out of $5-$10 bucks?

I don’t think price matters. If you’re getting shilled, it’s annoying in any case.

• Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

It happens more often than you would think. There is currently a 10 card lot of PSA 9 items by one of the major auction sellers. The lot is the same (you can tell because of the certs) that was "sold" not more than a few days ago and bought by a low feedback member with a high percentage of bids with the seller. Also have seen a lot of this going on since PSA started tracking the prices whereby the same card is bought over and over again at prices well above (almost double) what the last ones have sold for and are still available at BIN for much less

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY