Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How would I get a 1955 Topps Roberto Clemente Rookie Card graded?

Hello I'm a newbie to this Sports Card forum, I usually hang out with the Coin Freaks. I just found a 55 Clemente Rookie Card I bought at a Flea Market back in 1976 or so. I know next to nothing about Card Grading but I think/hope/pray it's at least a 5. I just found the membership signup page for PSA and while trying to decide on Gold vs Platinum membership I see that values on submissions are limited to a maximum $499 per Card. Well, since I hope this Card is worth upwards of $2,000 , how do I go about submitting it for grading?

I was looking at upcoming shows and theres the National Show in Cleveland Aug 1-5. Would it be a better idea to submit my Card in person? I need a good excuse to hit a good Card Show and Cleveland is about a 4 hr drive for me.

Comments

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2018 9:10AM

I'm relatively new here too and I've found the members to be very helpful in this area - if you post scans of the card, you'll get lots of feedback from experienced folks letting you know their opinions of the grade you're likely to get. They'll even let you know if you may get grade qualifiers (off center, miscut, etc.). From there, you can figure out whether to submit it for grading and at what level (the pricier the card, the more it costs to grade - expand the "Card Authentication and Grading" option here for costs based on the estimated value of the card: https://www.psacard.com/onlinesubmissioncenter/).

Submitting in person seems to be a good idea if you can - you save on the insurance/shipping costs to PSA and the stress that I always feel when the item is in transit. They may even offer card grading on site at some of the bigger shows, which would also save insurance/shipping costs back to you.

Good luck.

Jim

• Options
    BatpigBatpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

First, you don't need a membership for grading. That's really only for bulk pricing. Second, visit the link that burghman posted to see pricing. Don't worry too much about valuation as it's simply an insurance value (replacement value), not what you think it will be worth if it gets the grade you think. Finally, post pics! We can give you opinions on grades.

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

Hey thanks to burghman and Batpig for the helpful replies. I think I'm going to carry the Card to Cleveland or a Philly Show.

I've been wanting to go to a big time Card Show for years so now I'll have something to inspire me to go.

Finally getting my 10 cent Flea Market Card slabbed and graded will be really cool. I got an old Photo Album full of Cards for $12.00. After culling out the bad ones I had 120 Cards left - so 10 cents each on average. Not bad at all.

A week later a Coin Dealer offered me a 52 Topps Mantle Rookie for $25.00. I kick myself for scoffing at that one. Even if wasn't genuine it still might be worth a few pennies now.

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Do you have pics of the card?

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2018 3:12PM

I could snap pics with my phone. .. but haven't posted pics in a long time. Might take a while to figure that one out.

Another Card I got is a 1960 Carl Yastremski Rookie. Most I've seen have a black printing line through them. Mine has a very light line. Mine certainly is not Mint State but it should grade fairly well. And at 10 cents ..... not a bad deal.

PS I'm locked in at work now. Cant do any pics from here.