Home Sports Talk
Options

Two choices, which will it be --- Tomorrow is the day the Cleveland Browns....................

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 25, 2018 2:23PM in Sports Talk

....................waste another Top Draft Pick trying to find a Quarterback.
--- or ---
....................use their No. 1 Pick to improve the Team and worry about a QB later.

I hope they make the latter choice but am not holding out hope.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2018 2:34PM

I would go Darnold with #1 then Barkley or Chubb at 4. Let Darnold sit till the coaches think he's ready even if its for the season.

I'm just praying that Belichick uses both 1sts on needs not a QB.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone who truly understands the game of football, for a multitude of reasons, knows that the Browns must choose a QB with their #1 pick.

The Browns by now should have properly done all the player evaluations needed to determine who is the top QB of this draft, and then select him.

Case closed.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

No way! They Absolutely should take Chubb #1, then at 4 they can take the gamble on a QB because it’s a crap shoot on which one will be the best regardless of what anyone says, They don’t need a RB so forget Barkley and take the next best player that is pretty sure to be a stud right away which is Chubb.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    No way! They Absolutely should take Chubb #1, then at 4 they can take the gamble on a QB because it’s a crap shoot on which one will be the best regardless of what anyone says, They don’t need a RB so forget Barkley and take the next best player that is pretty sure to be a stud right away which is Chubb.

It's not a crap shoot at #1 because the Browns have complete control of the situation. At #4, then it becomes a crap shoot because if the Browns don't wisely pick the QB of their choice, then the QB of their choice might be gone at #4.

There are no guarantees in the NFL draft, we all understand that. However the key to long term success is making the right decisions. The right decision at this point in time with the situation the Browns are in, is for the Browns to draft a QB at #1. Then if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out, but they wouldn't be faulted for making a bad decision.

Now if something negative comes out later about their #1 QB draft pick, that they should have known before the draft if they would have done the proper evaluation, then they should be faulted for that.

The Browns will select a QB at #1 - it's already etched in stone.

Case briefly reopened, now permanently closed.

• Options

Steve I believe you somewhat agreed with my point about it being a crap shoot on which QB will be the best, if anything history proves the Browns are horrendous when scouting first round QB’s so why gamble that they will be be right or most likely WRONG on their top choice? By taking Chubb #1 they get a better chance with their first pick being successful. Nobody knows which QB to pick first so take the defensive piece which will be put in place right away and then chose the QB that’s left, heck I think they could still have 2 maybe 3 choices at #4, case is ongoing until after the draft bud hate to break it to you

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chubb will be there at #4 unless somebody trades up for him. I know the Pat’s covet him.

I’m guessing Allen at # 1 and Chubb at #4

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@perkdog said:
    Steve I believe you somewhat agreed with my point about it being a crap shoot on which QB will be the best, if anything history proves the Browns are horrendous when scouting first round QB’s so why gamble that they will be be right or most likely WRONG on their top choice? By taking Chubb #1 they get a better chance with their first pick being successful. Nobody knows which QB to pick first so take the defensive piece which will be put in place right away and then chose the QB that’s left, heck I think they could still have 2 maybe 3 choices at #4, case is ongoing until after the draft bud hate to break it to you

Well then the Browns should take measures to stop being "horrendous" - it's known as working hard and working smart...and if they don't do that, then they will continue to pile up losing seasons.

If the Browns think that they can do it the lazy way, and simply read a few scouting reports from the usual pundits, and make their picks from that, and hope to get lucky and be successful, then frankly they are doomed to fail no matter what they do.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

They should go Barkley #1 and then get the best qb left at 4. I don’t think any of them stand out much from one another. And I must be the only person who likes Tyrod Taylor. Personally I’d keep Taylor around for a while and then they don’t have to worry about QB. Maybe go Barkley and Chubb at 1 and 4.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options

All I’m saying is none of these QB’s are sure fire candidates to be considered “Can’t miss” like a Manning or Luck. Cases have been made for every one of these guys to be the #1 and a bust, so the Browns can research all they want it’s literally a matter of opinion depending on who you talk to. I do see your point of view Steve I just disagree with forcing a pick because it’s condidered the “Right” thing to do. Either way I am just guessing and throwing my useless opinion out there. We will see who they pick tomorrow and how the picks pan out this upcoming season. Good luck Browns fans

• Options
    edited April 25, 2018 6:28PM

Paul - My viewpoint is based on the only acceptable way that I can be a rabid Eagles fan, and that's if my team strives to become the champion. One thing I've always liked about Jeff Lurie, the Eagles owner for a long time now, is from day one, i never had a doubt that he wanted to win a Super Bowl and would do what it takes to win.

Of course every team owner wants to win a Super Bowl, but do they do what it takes to get it done? Now that's a different story.

Sure, taking a non-QB at #1 will make the Browns a better team, that's not debatable. But would it really help them to get to a Super Bowl? My opinion on that is a definitive no.

• Options

Anyone who truly understands the game of football

there are far too many who know more about Football than all of us combined who BELIEVE in taking the best available athlete.

• Options

@keets said:
    Anyone who truly understands the game of football

there are far too many who know more about Football than all of us combined who BELIEVE in taking the best available athlete.

Come on now...that's usually a strategy for the later round picks, not the first round.

The first round is for need, and if the Browns ever want to truly have a chance of winning a Super Bowl, they need a quarterback to do it. Tyrod Taylor simply will not get them there.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if the Browns are praying that they get a phone call tomorrow to trade for one of their picks. Personally I think Lamar Jackson will be the best QB in this draft when it’s all said and done. He may not go until the 12th to 16th pick

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2018 9:39PM

Word is the Giants will take Barkley at #2.

The best option of the 4-headed QB monster has changed several times over the past few weeks. Now, I read Baker Mayfield is #1 on the Browns' list. A month ago it was Darnold, then it was Rosen. For the reason that none of the 4 appear to be clearly better than the other 3, depending on which day it is, the Browns may be best served taking Barkley at #1 (since the Giants will likely take him at #2) and then the best remaing QB at #4.

Rosen is already arguing with reporters after being asked innocuous questions. Reminds me of Ryan Leaf.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2018 9:47PM

@perkdog said:
    All I’m saying is none of these QB’s are sure fire candidates to be considered “Can’t miss” like a Manning or Luck. Cases have been made for every one of these guys to be the #1 and a bust, so the Browns can research all they want it’s literally a matter of opinion depending on who you talk to. I do see your point of view Steve I just disagree with forcing a pick because it’s condidered the “Right” thing to do. Either way I am just guessing and throwing my useless opinion out there. We will see who they pick tomorrow and how the picks pan out this upcoming season. Good luck Browns fans

Exactly. The notion that a QB drafted in the early first round has some magic power to elevate a team to a Super Bowl is simply not true, and past results clearly illustrate that. The average draft position of a Super Bowl winning QB is 54th. It's not like the Browns have to wait long to pick again in the first round, in any case.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

**Come on now...that's usually a strategy for the later round picks, not the first round.

The first round is for need, and if the Browns ever want to truly have a chance of winning a Super Bowl, they need a quarterback to do it. Tyrod Taylor simply will not get them there.

the Browns have proven ad nauseum that they tend to make the wrong choice when evaluating QB's in the draft. it is too much of a crap-shoot under the best of circumstances and this "class" of players at that position doesn't really have the franchise type of player that everyone wants, hence, they should pass on that position and improve the Team in other areas.

I don't pretend to know more than anyone else and there are legions of people who are more in tune with talent evaluation than I am. however, I have followed this Team for more than 50 years and have a sense of the community/culture/personnel that those individuals don't have. the Browns will almost certainly make the wrong choice again this draft because they lack the courage to stand against the pressure leveraged by the Local and National media to fix things quickly.

I say to build the Team slowly, pass on this QB class. the rest of the World that knows better says pick the QB and go for a quick fix.

I will admit I was wrong when/if they draft a QB and improve quickly, will the World do the same when that plan fails?? I really doubt it. instead, you will all harangue the Browns next season and tell them to draft another QB with a top pick.

if you don't learn from History you are bound to repeat it.

and if you draft Johhny Manziel the Second I will vomit!!! :)

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2018 4:04AM

@keets said:
    **Come on now...that's usually a strategy for the later round picks, not the first round.

the Browns have proven ad nauseum that they tend to make the wrong choice when evaluating QB's in the draft. it is too much of a crap-shoot under the best of circumstances and this "class" of players at that position doesn't really have the franchise type of player that everyone wants, hence, they should pass on that position and improve the Team in other areas.

I don't pretend to know more than anyone else and there are legions of people who are more in tune with talent evaluation than I am. however, I have followed this Team for more than 50 years and have a sense of the community/culture/personnel that those individuals don't have. the Browns will almost certainly make the wrong choice again this draft because they lack the courage to stand against the pressure leveraged by the Local and National media to fix things quickly.

I say to build the Team slowly, pass on this QB class. the rest of the World that knows better says pick the QB and go for a quick fix.

I will admit I was wrong when/if they draft a QB and improve quickly, will the World do the same when that plan fails?? I really doubt it. instead, you will all harangue the Browns next season and tell them to draft another QB with a top pick.

what you need to do is draft a new team to watch. Give up and move on

• Options

to be honest, I don't watch them. I follow what goes on with the Team but haven't watched much of the NFL during the past five years. I pay attention to things and follow the local media but the League isn't worth me wasting time and the Team offers little on the field.

if they make some effort to improve I might watch games, but they haven't done that. instead, the keep repeating themselves.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@keets said:

what you need to do is draft a new team to watch. Give up and move on

In all fairness to the Browns, Art Modell royally screwed Cleveland by moving the team to Baltimore around 20 years ago. I forget the year, but later, Cleveland had to totally rebuild as an expansion team, they got into some bad habits, and seem to keep repeating the same habits.

• Options

and we finally agree!! in the greater Cleveland area, Art Modell is viewed slightly better than the Devil when you talk to Football fans.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tend to agree with those who would improve the team in positions other than QB. Perhaps next year there will be a better QB the Browns can take with the first pick. BTW it was quite touching to see the city of Cleveland name the last day of January Hue Jackson Day in honor their head coach.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cleveland can afford to use one of those top picks on a QB,they have four picks in the top 35,five in the top 64. There is no team better than the Browns at adding additional picks and you'd think they have to hit on a QB sooner or later. If they really stand behind Hue Jackson's quarterback coaching abilities,let him pick his QB then have him sit behind Taylor till they feel he's ready.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brick said:
    I tend to agree with those who would improve the team in positions other than QB. Perhaps next year there will be a better QB the Browns can take with the first pick. BTW it was quite touching to see the city of Cleveland name the last day of January Hue Jackson Day in honor their head coach.

As long as it isn't a running back , you just grab those off the dollar menu at MCD's if you need some now

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to see them grab 5 long snappers in the first 64, make all the desperate teams give them first round picks next year when their guy gets injured.

• Options

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Josh Allen after his racist tweets were uncovered.

If I'm an NFL owner, there's no way this guy is playing on my football team.

• Options

the talk shows are already having fun with the Browns Thursday picks and it's hard to argue with them.