Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Free form crop tool for ancients photography

Does anybody have a tool, aside from Photoshop, for free form cropping?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

@QCCoinGuy said:
    Does anybody have a tool, aside from Photoshop, for free form cropping?

Yes Download irfanview it is a simple image viewing software that is free and you can quick select over an image and Press "Ctrl+Y" to crop the selecting area then save image to original destination folder to save the cropped image over the original or to a separate folder. You can also select the file size of the image/quality while saving.

I use this tool for all my photo editing for listing on my website and ebay it is the fastest way to crop images in my opinion as I crop hundreds of images a day.

all around collector of many fine things

• Options
    QCCoinGuyQCCoinGuy Posts: 326 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks @coinpro76! Looks perfect. Unfortunately, I have a Mac, so it's not compatible. Btw, what is your website?

• Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

After years of using Photoshop, I've found Pixelmator (for Mac) to be more capable for my needs and easier to use. It's not free, but very affordable. Their tools make it very easy and quick to grab the odd shaped outline of an ancient, compose web ready images, etc.

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

We use a very old version of Photoshop that works fine for now. You might be able to find one on the cheap.

I will have to look into irfanview for the future once this version of PS is so far out of date that it won't work anymore. That day will come. Does it have other editing tools for color/contrast/etc?

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    QCCoinGuyQCCoinGuy Posts: 326 ✭✭✭✭

@PatAR Thanks for the suggestion. The current version in the App store requires a newer version of OS X than what I have.

@CIVITAS I will look into that. Thanks!

• Options

I use a mac and my program of choice is GraphicConverter. You can try it for free from Lemke software though they ask that you pay if you use it regularly.

For freeform editing I would try to use the magic wand tool. If the background is not a similar color to the coin you can select the background without selecting the coin. You can change the settings to be more or less sensitive in selecting similar colors. Another way to freeform edit is the lasso tool. With that you trace the outline of the coin with your cursor, which is a lot more time consuming and frustrating.

Gimp is a popular free open source program that will run on mac but I never got into it. It should have those options as well.

And before you try any of those third party programs try the preview application and make sure it can't do what you want. It can do basic editing but I don't know if it has a magic wand or lasso.