Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Someone explain how this happens please

I sent a 68 bench rookie to Beckett it received a 2.5 I snapped it out of its case and sent it to psa and grade popped 8OC. How can grades be so different and I’m about to start snatching up every low Beckett grade and resub to psa

Comments

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well you selected qualifiers so that could be a large part of it. Post a scan if you can. It could be borderline miss cut but have nice corners and edges.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2018 7:55PM

@Matt0224 said:
    I sent a 68 bench rookie to Beckett it received a 2.5 I snapped it out of its case and sent it to psa and grade popped 8OC. How can grades be so different and I’m about to start snatching up every low Beckett grade and resub to psa

Even though BVG no longer puts the subgrades on the flip, they still assign those subgrades before calculating the overall grade. Beckett has a policy where you cannot get a final overall grade that is more than 1.0 greater than any one of the subgrades (I could be off by a half grade on that, and maybe it is 1.5; it is most certainly not more than 2.0). So, for example, if you sub a card to Beckett for grading and its subgrades are 10, 10, 10, 1.5 (if everything is perfect except for terrible miscut centering) you could land a 2.5 overall. SGC tends to do more of an average grade over the 4 aspects, so the same card might get a 7.5 with that same card at SGC, though it seems sometimes they use a weighted average as opposed to straight-up, which may yield more of a 6/6.5 or so. Or, with qualifiers, the same card could come back from PSA as 8(OC) which is equal to 6NQ.