Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2018 Bowman Superfractor Auto: The Shohei Ohtani golden ticket

Comments

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. So they say they will pay $60k for it and think they can then make $60k for it?? Sounds like whoever pulls it, and if it grades 9.5, throw it on ebay at a starting bid of $70k since there are other buyers out there for it.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

Hasn't in the past these types of cards been bought up by someone who plans to use it in some sort of retail repacks as the card to get? Sell like 100K worth of repacks with 99.9% junk but this card and a few others sprinkled in and profit.

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

who has a box on order of these besides me?

• Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

The one in the first of your links was relisted a day after auction close w/ a higher price under buy-it-now, and then ended early. The 2nd one was ended early as well, despite having a whole lot of high-roller bid activity. I wonder what the actual realized sales figures are for those 2 items since apparently they were negotiated off-ebay.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did these cards actually get purchased for that kind of dough? If so? Wow!

Mike
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, I was going to direct you to Topps.com as I was there earlier today and they had them for $99.99 but I just went back to get a link and they're now out of stock. Looks like it's off to the dark web and black market for you.

Arthur

• Options
    firedawg45firedawg45 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭

topps.com sold out in 2 mins cause everyone bought 12 boxes, lost out with 1 in my cart.

# 2 Pete Rose Master Set , also
    collecting 1977 topps baseball in psa 9 and psa 10
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! I was traveling back from Ohio to Kentucky on Wednesday on a business trip and hit a shop I frequent in northern KY when traveling (Planet Collectibles) and he had jumbos and regular boxes so I grabbed 2 jumbo boxes and a few packs. Local shop yesterday had some and I grabbed one jumbo and one regular box as well. Was at WalMart this am for some groceries and just checked and sure enough they had blasters, hangers, and packs. I only grabbed 1-2 of each so others could have some. Outside of a Heritage box or two Bowman Chrome is the one splurge I open every year. With Otani I feel like Willy Wonka now :D

• Options

How much were the jumbos Keith - I assume those are "hobby?"

Mike
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is awesome!!!

• Options

@Stone193 said:
    How much were the jumbos Keith - I assume those are "hobby?"

One place had them for $360-365 and the other for $335 iirc. Both places told me they sold out fast and prices to replenish their stock are getting stupid. Would imagine the Asian market plus being in SoCal plus a power pitcher and power hitter All wrapped into one is the perfect storm. Any cards I get will be sold ASAP and funds going into Mantle, Aaron, Ryan, and Bench cards.

KC

With my patience these boxes won’t be opened for weeks.

• Options

I'm picking up a couple of regular hobby boxes tomorrow but wondering if I should get a jumbo or two as well. I think I was quoted $325 on the Jumbos. I really hate to shell out that kind of money and heck, I really don't even know the difference!

• Options

Hobby gets you 1 auto for around $165 where jumbo gets you 3 autos for $340-360. Basically with jumbo you get one more auto for the same $$. Great thing about Bowman is that you will pull autos of players you have never heard of and 2-3 years later they are worth $200-500. Last year we pulled two Gleyber Torres autos which graded BGS 9.5 and he was one of the guys you wanted, but also pulled a purple auto or a guy we had never heard of. With all autos I put them in a sleeve and top loader just in case, and later in the summer I go back and check cards and look up the “purple auto guy” and it was Ronald Acuna and worth $500-600 :smile:

• Options

That's really cool Keith!

I went online to Walmart and they were sold out.

Then I went to Target and the 2018B hadn't popped yet.

I was searching for info on a board game I picked up and for some reason the search engine gave me a link to Target - they had popped - so I picked up a bunch of blasters - later that day? SOLD OUT!

Mike
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Acuna is worth a heck of a lot more than $600 now. Hope you still have it, Keith.

Arthur

• Options

Well, busted a jumbo hobby box and 2 regular hobby boxes today and it wasn't in mine. Only 4 base Ohtani's for me. My best pull was a Chrome blue refractor auto of Victor Robles #115/150. My other auto's were a blue chrome Mike Shawaryn #/150, purple chrome Shed Long #/250 and I guess regular chrome Matt Sauer #/499. I got another auto in my first box but I can't remember what it was. I was ripping them as I was driving home so I haven't gotten back into that box yet. Dig get some orange #'s25 cards as well

• Options

Yes I still have it plus a pair of Gleyber Torres auto rookies also BGS 9.5. The Acuna has all subs 9.5 or higher as well.

KC

• Options

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    Well, busted a jumbo hobby box and 2 regular hobby boxes today and it wasn't in mine. Only 4 base Ohtani's for me. My best pull was a Chrome blue refractor auto of Victor Robles #115/150. My other auto's were a blue chrome Mike Shawaryn #/150, purple chrome Shed Long #/250 and I guess regular chrome Matt Sauer #/499. I got another auto in my first box but I can't remember what it was. I was ripping them as I was driving home so I haven't gotten back into that box yet. Dig get some orange #'s25 cards as well

Wow Tim - now that's a real collector!

Couldn't even wait till ya got home to rip.

Mike
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found a case of jumbo boxes, anyone interested in a few boxes?

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

The LCS said that wholesale on Bowman were $75 hobby and like $130 jumbo from GTS when they were first available to order. Some dealers who ordered heavy are raking it in on this product.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

So cool when a player makes packs of cards hot!!

The prices may be drastically higher but this is what drove 80’s pack busting.

• Options

@maddux69 said:

Let me know what they are going for price wise and I might grab 1-3 if it helps out.

KC

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KendallCat said:

@maddux69 said:

Let me know what they are going for price wise and I might grab 1-3 if it helps out.

KC

They have them priced at $375 + tax, but I got them to $350 tax included. I checked case prices on eBay and they are north of 3k now. :#

• Options

Missed this:

Mike
  • Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

Lowest I saw at the Shriners Show today was $160 and $330 jumbo

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

$335 is what I got one for

• Options

@maddux69 said:

@KendallCat said:

@maddux69 said:

KC

They have them priced at $375 + tax, but I got them to $350 tax included. I checked case prices on eBay and they are north of 3k now. :#

Sent you a note in another thread. Thx.

KC

• Options
    If you can count your money, you don't have a billion dollars. J Paul Getty
  • Options
    mb2005mb2005 Posts: 165 ✭✭

Definitely good luck by the guy who got it....but also some bad luck : as of today, Ohtani is on the DL for 3 weeks with a sprained UCL....hello, Tommy John?

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do box prices drop now that it's been pulled?

• Options

Hiya Kyle

I think that pretty much takes the "excitement" off the table.

Mike
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭

seriously bad timing given the news today of the ucl tear. Might need to hold that more than a week,

• Options
    mb2005mb2005 Posts: 165 ✭✭

@OAKESY25 said:
    seriously bad timing given the news today of the ucl tear. Might need to hold that more than a week,

Or might need to hold that a couple years....."The earliest we might see him, should he have TJ surgery, would be the 2020 season."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2780543-report-shohei-ohtani-likely-to-have-tommy-john-surgery-to-repair-elbow-injury?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

• Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

Yup, and this is why I don't sell any high dollar cards online. I'd be nervous if I sold one of his big cards this spring using PayPal and the buyer has a 6 month return policy to get their money back.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

I wonder how PWCC and Probstein handle it when a buyer tries and returns something using the Paypal 6 month return policy due to the market tanking for a prospect or an injury. Do they just block them from bidding on any of their auctions going forward?

Robb

• Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

Robb, good question. And do they take the hit in those cases, leaving it a hassle free sale for the seller?

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

@fergie23 said:
    I wonder how PWCC and Probstein handle it when a buyer tries and returns something using the Paypal 6 month return policy due to the market tanking for a prospect or an injury. Do they just block them from bidding on any of their auctions going forward?

Robb

I'm not sure that's how this works. Here's the policy below. And there is a an exclusion to the 6 month window for items like gold and collectibles. I doubt either of these auction houses have refunded a purchase after 5-6 months due to decrease in value; or whatever BS excuse the buyer had because he got a free look.

3.7.1 PayPal

For PayPal, within 180 days after the purchase agreement was concluded, the Buyer initiates a resolution process for the Dispute and tries to solve this dispute with the help of tools and resources provided by PayPal. This can be done in the PayPal Resolution Center available after logging into the PayPal Account.

In case it is not possible to achieve a resolution the Buyer can file a PayPal Buyer Protection claim in the PayPal Resolution Center within 20 days after initiating the resolution process

3.7.2 eBay

For eBay, within 30 days from the later date of the dates provided as the estimated delivery date for the purchase item on www.ebay.de (“Estimated Delivery Date”), the Buyer initiates a resolution process for the dispute and tries to solve this dispute with the help of tools and resources provided by eBay, which applies for all dispute inclusive of such as per clause 5.3. This can be done in the eBay Resolution Center or directly from the “My eBay” purchase history.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.