Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1814 E over A Capped Bust Half O.108

lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow...I see a new addition to the Eastern Woods bust half collection. An MS64 E/A O.108 MS64.

His registry says "1814 E/A in STATES PCGS #6107 : O.108 a, Ex. Dale Friend collection. 'Finest Known, A+ Eye appeal as per Sheridan Downey' A coin of impeccable quality & provenance. Frosty mint luster overlaid in exquisite blending of violet and golden toning, superb originality. High grade examples of this charismatic early mint blunder are nearly impossible to locate. 4-5 uncs. exist and are squirreled away in collections. This is the Holy -Grail of E/A s. Thanks Dale , I know how fond you are of this coin."

What's the deal? Why would Dale give up this one of a kind? Something even better came along? Anyone know?

I love my AU55 (ex-Eastern Woods, by coincidence) but Dale's 64 is just unbelievable.
Lance.

Comments

• Options

For fun, if you got one post it!
    Lance.

• Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, I didn’t think Dale would part with his 1814 E/A PCGS 64....I can’t imagine a better example being available to upgrade to. I was fortunate enough to see Dale’s 64 in hand at the most recent FUN show earlier this year, along with the other PCGS 63. Dale’s example was awe inspiring and truly amazing!

Here’s my 1814 E/A O.108a PCGS 63
    Dave

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

beauties

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine's just a 35, but it is a neat variety!

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anybody have a link to some good closeups of overpunched letters on early U.S. coinage? Wish to study them to compare the effects on the under-letters vis-a-vis the effects on under-dates on overdated coins.
    TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 64 is a real beauty...your 55 is also a beauty...hell even that 35 is a real nice coin.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just went and looked and I don't have one. DANG!

Nice 55 Lance!

• Options

@CaptHenway said:
    Anybody have a link to some good closeups of overpunched letters on early U.S. coinage? Wish to study them to compare the effects on the under-letters vis-a-vis the effects on under-dates on overdated coins.
    TD

I can get you good close-ups of most any bust half overpunches if you let me know which you want, Tom. But you can probably get what you need from Coinfacts images, including the other denominations.

Sorry...I don't know of a site that has what you want.
    Lance.

• Options

Let me try CoinFacts.

Just want to see how the hole in the die that was the original letter was deformed by the overpunch.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a lowly VF20

• Options

Here is the CoinFacts image of the A/E.

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's mine - graded by PCGS at 30. I think it could go a little higher than that. Possible just the fact that I own it though.

Thanks @lkeigwin for the great photos!

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

Threads like this always remind me of why I don't mind having duplicates. I would have a hard time selling many of the coins in this thread even if an "upgrade" came along.

• Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

Always appreciate your posts! Always beautiful coins!

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    23Pairer23Pairer Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Lance, here's my "Dirty" 30.........

Great post, and beautiful coins!
    Bob

• Options
    1TwoBits1TwoBits Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice coins posted, I really like the E/A variety!

1TwoBits

Searching for bust quarters.....counterstamps, errors, and AU-MS varieties, please let me know if you can help.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file