Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2018 National in Cleveland - For those attending? Do you want to do a rip and if so? What?

Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone

I know it seems early but time has a way of flying.

I'll be attending - staying at the Sheraton.

Please chime in if you're going?

I hope Manny chimes in?

I'd like to have another rip - perhaps on Wed or Thurs at the BBCEx booth.

I was thinking of "what" we can rip that won't break the bank?

First thoughts - also from FB from Keith. Perhaps 93T Finest BB - we could also do a box of 83T BB - plenty of HOFer's there.

So, please let us know - what's your plans?

Mike

Comments

• Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

I just found out today that my brother is not going. The wife isn't really excited about the trip either. I'm gonna have to get creative to convince her to go. Thinking about a Indianapolis/Pittsburgh/Cincinnati/ Detroit/ Cleveland kinda thing. Probably more time traveling than enjoying. If I manage to get a co pilot, I will for sure be at the show on Thursday.

Can't help you on the pack ripping, that is a crime against humanity as far as I am concerned. I will likely be standing next to CPAMike crying at the carnage :'(

:D

I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is an outside chance I may attend. Plans TBD.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    kgibsonkgibson Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

I will be there starting on Thursday. See you then. :)

"You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."
  • Options
    MarsAttacksMarsAttacks Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

Will be in Cleveland from Wednesday thru Saturday with the family. Looking forward to seeing everyone at the show Wednesday, Thursday, and (maybe) Friday. Taking the Mrs. to see Hamilton on Thursday evening and to the ballgame on Friday. Should be another great year at the NSCC!

Go Dodgers!
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2019 11:43AM

• Options

@robert67 said:
    Hey Mike. We are booked at the Doubletree downtown Tuesday-Saturday. My wife and college bound son will be along this year.

Looking forward to my second National.

I like the idea of ripping 93 Finest, too. Great idea.

Hope to meet up with you and others at the BBCEx booth Robert.

If you remember last year we did a 79T box and it was a bust.

An 80T box and the "hunt" for Rickey would be less than 30 per pack is another possibility?

In addition - I do think an 83T box at something like 7 bucks a pack would be nice to rip.

Mike
  • Options
    BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

I am strongly considering going. Just haven't totally made up my mind. I've never been to one before.

• Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2019 11:42AM

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robert67 said:

@BenG76 said:
    I am strongly considering going. Just haven't totally made up my mind. I've never been to one before.

If possible please attend. You won't regret it. A truly great experience!

+1

Once you go to one you won’t miss another one. My whole family attends with me and for us it is like Christmas in July!

KC

• Options

I agree Keith - it's like the "Greatest Show on Earth"

Mike
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

good morning gents!

yes Mike I will be there this year again. Bringing my 22 year old daughter for her 1st Natty. Not sure where we are staying yet--making those this week. Time is sure getting here quick.

Thrs usually work best for the meet and greet at BBCE. 93 finest sounds good--where we gonna get 1?

plan is to go to the game Sat night

• Options
    edited April 29, 2018 1:06PM

@flatfoot816 said:
    good morning gents!

yes Mike I will be there this year again. Bringing my 22 year old daughter for her 1st Natty. Not sure where we are staying yet--making those this week. Time is sure getting here quick.

Thrs usually work best for the meet and greet at BBCE. 93 finest sounds good--where we gonna get 1?

plan is to go to the game Sat night

Hiya Manny

Good to hear from you.

I was thinking of calling up Steve and let him know if he gets one and I'll secure it for a rip. I thought it would be fun to add the 83T box since there's 3 HOF RC's and the per pack price will be cheap.

Looking forward to seeing you and your daughter buddy.

Mike
  • Options

Sounds good Mike. I thought last year we did the breaks on Friday or Saturday, and yes I agree an 83 box would be sweet to break as a group.

KC

Hiya Manny - glad you will be there again this year.

• Options
    edited April 29, 2018 8:35PM

I think it was Thurs?

I like the idea of Thurs. since the PSA luncheon is on Fri?

Mike
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

As of now I doubt that I will be able to make it this year.
    Jame

• Options

@jfkheat said:
    As of now I doubt that I will be able to make it this year.
    Jame

Sorry to hear this James.

Mike
  • Options
    lilmulelilmule Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭

Mike,

I sooo want to go, but will be on deployment. Maybe next year or the year afterwards, would like to meet fellow collectors on a face to face level.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

looking at the hotel layout it seems no matter what you will need a car or at least be using uber all week. Closest are about 15 mins ride. Not real collector friendly if you buy something early and don't want to lug it around the whole show.

Thinking we may stay downtown which is closer to the other attractions. Megan and I have been ripping packs since she was 6 and her sis Alex was 8. She is good luck so she may be ripping something special. Some years ago we pulled a 1 of 1 Cy Young auto from Legendary Cuts. We were all included in a beckett magazine article that to this day brings fond memories

• Options

Maybe next year Mike?

Mike
  • Options

Chicago is way more user friendly Manny.

Tho, the Hilton which I booked thru the National is about a mile away - which isn't too bad if I feel like getting some fresh air in the morning. I doubt it!

Mike
  • Options

@linuxabuser said:
    Hey all. I'll be there, and I'd love to rip some '93 Finest.

I'll definitely have to take an Uber too all week. I'll be at the Indians game on Saturday as well. My first National!

Looking forward to meeting you there Tyler.

Mike
  • Options

With the National coming.

I always marvel at how well organized many of you are with respect to your "wants."

So, what's on your wantlist?

Me? Always looking for a special board game and this year perhaps a few upgrades to a set or 2.

I'll make sure I have a list.

Mike
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2018 6:35PM

My wantlist is a Gibson’s within walking distance of my hotel and some Doubletree cookies

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2018 12:27AM

I would like to hear about successful past trades or flips to buy wantlist items. Is there more of a chance to come to an agreement with someone because of the population interested or less due to the availability in masses?

What is considered more liquid for trade or sale, vintage binders well organized by set year or every card regardless of grade already transferred to a card saver 1?

• Options

just booked the flights--hotel booked yesterday. Arriving Tues the 31st -- leaving Sat 6 AM sharp!

see you all there

• Options

93 SP box
    1983 or 85 Topps baseball box

Those could be fun breaks.

KC

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't touch 93, not at $2500-$3000 a box, but 83 and 85 will be fun.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options

How many packs in 93 SP?

also, how about 84 Topps football?

KC

• Options
    edited May 17, 2018 3:19PM

@KendallCat said:
    How many packs in 93 SP?

also, how about 84 Topps football?

KC

I believe there's 24 Keith - too pricey IMO.

Something, if available, and may be deemed fun - 93T Finest - the refractors are still popular and gradable.

As a bonus, yes, the 82, 83, 85T boxes would be fun to rip.

Mike
  • Options

I agree - too pricey. Whatever you select Mike I am in - still waiting for my 79 Winfield to turn into an Ozzie rookie :D

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

@TNP777 said:
    Hiya, Mike. See you in Cleveland! :smile:

I was on the fence about Cleveland, but that might be just what it takes to spin me right round.

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

@ZTarg said:

@TNP777 said:
    Hiya, Mike. See you in Cleveland! :smile:

I was on the fence about Cleveland, but that might be just what it takes to spin me right round.

Dammit. I just had to choose the non-refundable option. Lesson learned, Gerbie.

Seriously, though, now I'm looking forward to it even more. It'd be great to meet you, Z.

• Options

Always good to see you Geordie.

Where you staying?

A bunch of us are at the Sheraton (I believe that's the one selected by the National?) - hope to see many every evening in the bar as well as on the floor and "of course" at BBCEx - the official "rip day" and of course any time lurking.

Mary's not with me - so I have all the time to hang around as long as I like. Will be going to a ball game also!

now I'm looking forward to it even more. It'd be great to meet you, Z.

Looking forward to meeting you Nick - if you attend.

Mike