Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A Decent 1907 Halfcrown. Guess the Grade (ATS)

I tried really hard to capture this coin with iPhone both outside and inside. Failed to capture the "gold foil" toning that this coin has. And of course the joys of ownership of course make me say IMO possibly a bit under graded.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2018 1:13PM

The coin looks perfect, IMO. If not MS-67, then MS-65.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars,

It's really hard to ask for a grade opinion when your pictures are <ahem, no offense intended> so lousy. Whether you're an expert or not, surely you must know three things: (1) the picture must capture the entire coin (entire obverse + entire reverse); (2) a sincere attempt at being in focus; (3) not too big and not too small.

That being said, from what I can make out from what you provided, I'd say it's a 63 due to the number of marks I easily see on the obverse. It also has mottled toning, which won't cause the graders to give it the benefit of the doubt on borderline coins.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah yes, EVP you are so right about the poor quality. It actually has almost no marks, and certainly none of significance. The toning was so very special - not that fakey neon stuff but real golden. I'll try to give it another go in the morning.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's nice !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2018 5:23AM

Looks like it's a nice coin--would love to see better photos.

Is it a newer iPhone? The cameras can do a pretty good job with lighting (a couple of cheap Jansjos from Ikea) and something to steady the phone with (a stack of books). Add in a cheap bluetooth shutter release (though some earbuds have a volume trigger you can use) and then you lose the shake from touching the phone too. A half crown size coin should photo decently.

• Options

• Options

Uggh. Just not showing it, what looks like wear or soft strike esp in jaw and hair is not, if you expand I think you can see very little in way of marks or contact.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin. MS62

• Options

Hint: pretty much higher than that....

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Ok, will kill the interest but my sorry photos already did.

64+. This series, esp. if not the 1902 and 1910 dates are quite hard to come by in better states of preservation as poor Eddy tends to take many hits and also be softly struck. I have seen the PCGS 65 of this date and wouldn't trade this one for it.