Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Who is best to deal with on a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA 2-4?

I want to buy one and need your expertise. Thanks in advance and hope you guys are doing well.

** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **

Comments

• Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

I would talk to Levi Bleam at 707 Sportscards. He definitely has high prices - but he definitely has plenty of expertise to go with it.

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Card Country/Jeff Foy. I haven't seen him on here in a while, but I bet he is around! :)

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you find one decently centered in those grades, which is tough to find, it is well worth the price. There are plenty of them out there, but maybe 15-20% of them are well centered and 2-3% of them are dead centered. What is the price range you are thinking of? Huge difference from what I have seen in nicely centered examples and average ones.

KC

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

I concur; the market for so many cards has evolved to the point where we are seeing really strong multipliers for centered examples of cards that are routinely OC or tilted. The more iconic/in demand the card, the stronger the multiplier it seems.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

Kendall , 15-25k is where I want to be.

** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

With 707 you might pay double of what fair value is. Be patient and wait around for one on Ebay

• Options

@1980scollector said:
    Kendall , 15-25k is where I want to be.

IMO $15k will get a nice PSA 1.5/2 and $25 gets you a nice 2.5 and maybe a PSA 3. For a nice 2.5/3 you are looking at mid to high $20’s for a 2.5 and low to mid $30k range for a nicely centered 3. For a 4 probably in the low to mid 30’s for an average 4 and if it is centered it can get up to $50-80k depending on how dead on it is, other flaws, eye appeal... I have seen a few nice high end Mantle rookies from PSA 3-5 and the really nice ones collectors will pay a HUGE premium for them. Good luck in your quest and hope you find one.

KC

• Options
    thesouthdoesitagainthesouthdoesitagain Posts: 297 ✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2018 8:49AM

Whats up Nathan ..Is this for the new store? or for your PC?
    Wish I could make it up there one day in Mufreesboro Tn. (about 4hr ride)
    If this was last yr, (I had a lot of down days) I would of possibly sold you mine, then I would have the biggest regret ever.
    In fact, I love my 51 & 52 so much, I am going to make a trip to touch them.
    Let us know when you grab one and make sure to show it off!!!!
    You know where to find me, either here, Net54 or that other place we got called PCS.

Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2018 3:43PM

Be patient!

I waited a long time till a nice one popped up on eBay from a reputable seller that I thought was a fair deal. Believe it or not the best deals are Buy It Now’s.

I wanted a clean one with decent centering.

Sounds like you have about the same budget.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@addicted2ebay said:
    Be patient!

I waited a long time till a nice one popped up on eBay from a reputable seller that I thought was a fair deal. Believe it or not the best deal are Buy It Now’s.

I wanted a clean one with decent centering.

Sounds like you have about the same budget.

That's an excellent point. Some sellers may not realize how important centering has become to the value of certain baseball cards.

• Options

Centering is the key with the 52 Mantle IMO. I sold my 51 Mantle privately for a record price when a guy made an offer and everything went well, and if I ever sold my 52 I would do it the same way. eBay takes a huge chunk plus who knows what would happen selling to a stranger for that kind of $$ - $30k+ Most days I want to keep but every so often I consider selling it and doing other things with the $$.

• Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    Some sellers may not realize how important centering has become to the value of certain baseball cards.

If the sellers are unaware, the serious buyers are most assuredly aware.

With this discussion on the mountainous merit that centering has become to the value of certain baseball cards, the first card I thought of was a scarce, breathtaking, highly-desirable non-mainstream Mickey Mantle---any of his 1953-55 Stahl-Meyer Franks. 'Tis a rare bird to find nearly dead-centered, let alone 50-50, 50-50 dead.

One major reassuring quality of the 1952 Topps Mantle is its availability, though as it has been stressed, few specimens are well-centered to centered.

--- Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

• Options

I would love a centered Stahl Meyer that isn't mangled! Got any leads Indy?

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the idea about being patient.

Also, for that kind of money, I'd be happier if I could see the card: in hand.

What about also waiting for the National?

Jeff Foy was mentioned - he had a bunch of nice copies last year and I'm sure he'd be willing to entertain rational offers?

Mike
  • Options

DM23HOF--- To get the best of both worlds you crave, a Stahl-Meyer Franks Mickey Mantle that is well-centered and not mangled, is a tall as the stratosphere order. I really thought the specimen 4 Sharp Corners offered for many months on eBay had decent centering, but when I checked my scan of that beauty, it was 60-40 side to side, and close to 50-50 top to bottom. However, it was a PSA 1, smashed, but with remarkable color and print registry. Moot point however, since it recently sold.

I have seen the unique, one of one MINT 9. I assessed the centering as 52-48 side to side, and 50-50 top to bottom. No tilt, either. So, at least the far and away best specimen is very well-centered. You might recall the beauty that Mile High offered in late 2015. I tried to encourage my brothers here to strongly consider it. Several thought it was my consignment; no, not at all. All they could talk about was the mediocre centering. Second highest graded specimen, and a one of one at that level. It broke 30K, but still ....

Currently, Robert Edward Auctions is offering one of the two 1953 PSA 6s. Its centering is virtually the same as the 7. Absolutely breathtaking in every other aspect. However, for those who demand great centering, this specimen would be a stab in the heart. I think it is gorgeous, and I would love it AS IS, but that is me, and not thee. It's lot number 1281, if you're curious. Great REA write-up, as per usual. However, it trails far behind the pair of '52 Topps Mantles they're offering.

Some time I would love to share with you what one of the most renown dealers in the history of our hobby, Alan Rosen, said when he compared the '52 Topps to the Stahl-Meyer Franks Mickey Mantle. Mr. Rosen, tacit, frank, and pungent as ever, gave me a regal quote for my book, and he was not trying to sell me anything. Straight from the hip he was. This, from the man who handled all those fabulous '52 Topps high-number Mantles from his famous find, and who bought, owned, and sold the 1953 Stahl-Meyer Franks Mickey Mantle specimen that PSA would grade in 2002 as MINT 9.

I am starting to get concerned some may accuse me of railroading their thread. I will just say that I devoted a chapter in my book to the highest-graded Stahl-Meyer Franks Mickey Mantle. The book offers a nice sampling of immediate post-war regionals, many of which I do not own now, nor ever owned. However, I passionately loved writing about them, since I find them fascinating. NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN is available as a 480-page E-book on a CD, to be read by inserting the disk into your disk drive of your computer tower. I sell it from my home for $30. Or, it's also available through Amazon as a digital download for only $9.99. If you use Kindle, there ya go!

I better just shut up now. If any of y'all want info on my book, simple Google the title, and the 2016 press release should pop right up. Regardless, thanks for listening.

Back to the '52 Topps Mick pursuit. Centering is fine, well, and good. However, I must stress to strive for a specimen with great color intensity, crisp picture registry, and an unmarred appearance on Mickey's face, neck, and hat. That is where your eyes will always go to admire that great card.

Gotta help my wife. See ya. ---- Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

• Options
    edited April 22, 2018 7:05PM

I agree re: the PSA 6 at REA. The centering keeps me away, as great as it is in all other respects.

I also agree re: the 1952 Topps Mantle— bold color and registration is key alongside the all important and rare centering. The cap area is sometimes a bit blurry. And that blue background looks so much nicer when the color is rich. Hence why I fell in love at first sight with mine and will have it as long as I can...

• Options

@DM23HOF said:
    I agree re: the PSA 6 at REA. The centering keeps me away, as great as it is in all other respects.

I also agree re: the 1952 Topps Mantle— bold color and registration is key alongside the all important and rare centering. The cap area is sometimes a bit blurry. And that blue background looks so much nicer when the color is rich. Hence why I fell in love at first sight with mine and will have it as long as I can...

Would have to say this one is the best low/mid grade Mantle I have seen out there and saw it in person at the Louisville Slugger exhibit when Matt loaned it to them for a display. Color and centering are off the charts with this example. Tried my best but no matter how much Benadryl, Turkey, and red wine I gave the security guard he would not fall asleep ;)

KC

• Options

I've long felt the '52 Topps Mantle with the yellow Yankee logo box outlined in black has stronger, richer color intensity. Matt's 4.5 has that, as did the one I owned until the summer of 1995. I really miss that card. The one that sold for $2.8 million does not, but at MINT 9, with it coming from the Mr. Mint find, it is, as Joe Orlando put it, "One beautiful baseball card." ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)