Home Sports Talk
Options

High school baseball team wins 82-0; winning coach tried to stop the game

stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

http://www.sportingnews.com/other-sports/news/high-school-baseball-team-wins-82-0-old-rochester-regional-notre-dame-cristo-rey/mt0vfvp592j41x4nad9rmwqda

High school baseball team wins 82-0; winning coach tried to stop the game

A high school baseball team in Massachusetts didn't just win against its opponent last week, it defeated the team by an outlandish 82-0 margin.

That's right — Old Rochester Regional had 82 runs over Notre Dame Cristo Rey, with 32 coming in the first two innings.

Despite the clear mismatch between two teams in different conferences, the game wasn't stopped. Although Old Rochester coach Steve Carvalho did say he attempted to stop the game and tried different tactics so his players wouldn't run up the score.

“I’m sick to my stomach over this,” Carvalho said (via the Boston Herald). “We really tried everything possible. We told the kids don’t take extra bases, no sprinting – we even had kids bunting and they couldn’t make the routine plays. We had kids hitting balls 300 feet and jogging to first.

“We even asked that they stop the game after four innings and they said no. Believe me, we exhausted all options in our power.”

While Old Rochester won by a large margin, Boston Herald notes the most one-sided victory in high school history came in 1928 after Atlantic won 109-0 over Griswold in Iowa.

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dick Enberg would say...........Oh My!

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

they were probably tired from 82 trips around the diamond

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

That old rochester crowd is pretty full of itself just ask wareham high :/

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

The concern over running up the score is way over done. Players don't care. If they do, they should join the chess club instead.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

The pitch count must have been brutal.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not sure how the winning team “Tried” not to score. Really simple don’t hit the freaking ball just bunt or swing at air to get it over with, the stats at that point are inflated anyways

• Options

Pitching was so bad that Giancarlo Stanton got two hits.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    The concern over running up the score is way over done. Players don't care. If they do, they should join the chess club instead.

What should be remembered as well is that some of these high school players are hoping to get college scholarships in baseball, and of course the colleges look at the stats. The winning kids are more than happy to run up their stats for that.

Bottom line - the losing coach could have simply forfeited the game when it got out of hand, but for whatever reason he didn't.

• Options

Steve, those stats are meaningless and any scout would see that. Also 66-0 in Football is NOTHING compared to 82-0 in Baseball lol

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Steve, those stats are meaningless and any scout would see that. Also 66-0 in Football is NOTHING compared to 82-0 in Baseball lol

With MLB scouts...of course it is meaningless. However for a college scholarship, stats are very important, especially because baseball isn't a big revenue producer like football or basketball.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s no fun for anyone. Everyone is a loser

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2018 11:38AM

@1970s said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Winning is always fun, no matter what the score. Losing stinks.

Strongly disagree . I’ve been on both sides. Neither side is fun . It’s not sport when it’s so lopsided

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Dairy Queen made out.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Dairy Queen made out.

Indeed.

m

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2018 9:30PM

@1970s said:
    I remember back in the 1970s when Oklahoma, Nebraska and other schools would beat teams 66-0 (albeit it was football). No one talked about running up the score. The only thing we heard was that you got your tail handed to you. Sentiment has changed in today's "everyone gets a trophy" day and age.

The "everybody gets a trophy" thing has been debunked many times. It was happening in the 70s, too.

And Nebraska, Oklahoma, and the rest definitely got ripped for running up the score. There was a huge fuss when Miami did it to Notre Dame, for example.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also 66-0 in Football is NOTHING compared to 82-0 in Baseball lol

indeed.

at best it would be 246-0, at worst 492-0. it could never happen, though, because no Football game at any level could ever have the time for 82 scores.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Totally agree. Everybody likes to win but winning like that is not fun at all. Sure 15-0 would be fun but at some point it gets to be too much. Especially if you are beating up on the Bad News Bears.

• Options

It takes class to win and lose in a dignified manner, however when teams just lay down or give up it’s on them.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2018 2:02PM

couple of interesting nuggets from this game

the coach of the winning squad tried schedule a different team called Notre Dame, but ended up playing the wrong one. how the hell that happens i have no idea. takes a special kind of imbecile to do something like that.

the losing team's coach allowed his pitcher to go all 8 innings and give up 92 hits. how the hell that happens i have no idea. takes a special kind of imbecile to do something like that.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:

I hit .750 and led the league in home runs in middle school

i bet all the chicks wanted you

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    couple of interesting nuggets from this game

the losing team's coach allowed his pitcher to go all 8 innings and give up 92 hits. how the hell that happens i have no idea. takes a special kind of imbecile to do something like that.

The kid had to have thrown close to 400 pitches. WTF. That coach should be shot.

• Options
    edited April 29, 2018 2:04PM

@1970s said:
    A quote from a professional hockey player from the Tampa Bay Lightning.....................
    Tyler Johnson said. "It's one game. It doesn't matter if you lose a game 3-2 or 12-2. It's the same thing."

We are taking two different things. Pro sports and D1 college you take your beatings and move on as the playing field is more level. We are taking about an unlevel playing field with teams having no business playing each other at the high school level. It’s not fun and I’m talking as an athlete who played at a high level. I never enjoyed padding my stats against an inferior opponent. I guess that’s where you and I differ. I hated playing against out manned teams and never liked piling on. That’s not sporting to me and not a challenge and it doesn’t make you better

mark

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

In girls softball if they are trying not to run up the score the coach has the runner step off the base before the ball is pitched and the runner is called out. Our teams coach did it three times in one inning. Inning over. If the head coach wants to stop scoring he can. Base runners can pass the runner in front of him. Out. It can be done IF YOU WANT TO :s