Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NEWP: Gurk Taler

ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

As my current residence time zone doesn't mesh as well with the US, I placed a proxy bid and waited for this morning to see the results... oddly, my proxy bid was the highest, which makes one wonder if auction house run up the bids to that level without an external indicator. Regardless, having seen this coin as part of the D. Moore collection (and missing out on it due to a mix up in timing), I am happy with the outcome.

1801 Austria. Gurk. Franz Xavier V, Graf von Salm-Reifferscheid (1782-1822) Taler. Vienna Mint. KM-2, DAV-40. Holzmair 66 Kahnt 187. Slg. Unger 1972. CSch. 2517, Schulman 4246. Slg. Horsky 4800. 41mm. 28.22gr. A seldom offered one year type from this small Bishopric of Gurk, located in Carthinia and absorbed by Austria a few years after this coin was struck. Obv: Bust right, wearing zucchetto and mantum. Rev: Coat-of-arms surmounted by galero and tassels; all crowned and mantled; crossed sword and croizer behind. An exceedingly lustrous gem, with even, steel gray surfaces and an extremely pleasant cabinet tone comprised of deep cobalt and a charming crimson. Exceptionally reflective, this specimen delivers on every aspect and tantalizes the viewer, and is conditionally scarce as such. NGC MS-65.

Ex. Heritage 3051, January 9, 2017, Lot 32007.
Ex. Heritage 425 in January 8, 2007, Lot 50464

Comments

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had a few bids where it seemed like it was bid to that max, but plenty more bids that didn't go that high.

I think if you place the bid before the live/proxy thing then others can see it and take the time to organize their bidding strategies. At least that's what I do..."Oh, look, someone else is after it, let me drop this much more".

I've started using the live/proxy more now, not sure how that is working out for me, but I did get my larger Heritage coin for a tiny bit less than anticipated. It feels like less nickel and diming by another bidder anyway.

Shoot, one non-US place emailed me once because I did drop a nuclear bid...they wanted to make sure I understood the decimals and the exchange rate I think. A PERFECT time to have gotten run up by the house and I won that one for about a third of my bid. Other auctions there have gone to my limit, but not regularly. I just expect that there is someone else out there who made the same value estimation that I did.

Glad you got a chance at the coin you missed. I remember you talking about mixing up the timing not so long ago. Hope you are settling in well!

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭

In the fifteen years I have done business with them, I have not had a problem with Heritage running me up to my max proxy bids. A few times the bids got there, but like Stork said, not enough times to be suspicious.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Zohar - somehow I just knew that one was in your crosshairs. Well done.

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2018 1:26PM

@worldcoinguy said:

Thanks and comes with a "D. Moore" pedigree :) - being cynical here.

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zohar said:

@worldcoinguy said:

Thanks and comes with a "D. Moore" pedigree :) - being cynical here.

I think the 'Zohar' provenance is much more impressive. (Being serious here.)

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

An exquisite piece! Congrats Zohar!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome!