Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

So, who is watching auctions tonight?

StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the internet. I can watch (or bid :o ) in Chicago and Japan simultaneously. This could be a problem...

Comments

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing for me tonight, but the applet is running on my computer as I go about doing other things at home...

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭

Doug's tokens look to be selling pretty strongly at Heritage. Not really a surprise. He had some great stuff.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing for me !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2018 4:54PM

Must've been good, they are running behind! At this point my two big watches might be going close to simultaneously.

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

I was fortunate to win one lot of Doug Robbins tokens - a group of 3 Sloops to upgrade my collection. The Proof / Specimen pieces were absolutely fantastic and sold for up to 6 times estimate.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options

I got smashed on my main lot in the Japanese auction.

• Options

Well, I'm getting lesser items from the auctions I was watching.

Of three coins I seriously liked, two (one at each auction site) bids were totally blown out of the water. The one I wanted most came up first so I could go big/go home. Home I went. The second was my least serious of the three, it only went for 3X estimate (eyeroll), never even got a chance to hit the bid button it went up so fast.

The third was an unneeded, but desired, upgrade. That one I got for reasonable money. At weak bids I HOPED to get two out of three, but at strong money I figured I'd get one...glad the favorite went first so I didn't have to hold back...even if the bid was unsuccessful.

Here is a lovely in an upcoming session for the Japanese auction--I will NOT be bidding on it though:
    https://en.auction-world.co/xpai/item.jsp?id=24600

Even with moving the decimal over, it's a bit rich for me. I'm amazed it hasn't been dipped out.

Well, there are lesser coins I'm still interested in that are coming up, but I have a bead on a private buy on something so my auction watching ends early :smiley:

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a watched coin last night, got 8 percent e bucks and used my chase credit card for another 5 percent

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

My bid held today on a taler in the Heritage auction. I am fired up, as it is a tough piece. My first auction win in many many attempts.... I have been getting steamrolled lately in auctions.

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

@worldcoinguy said:
    My bid held today on a taler in the Heritage auction. I am fired up, as it is a tough piece. My first auction win in many many attempts.... I have been getting steamrolled lately in auctions.

Please share!

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Lot 30864. I suppose I am a fairly predictable person.

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭

Had my eye on that nice William III halfpenny, and placed one unsuccessful bid. Other than that, nothing much grabbed me.

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options

I won one lot in Session 3, and it knocked a hole in my heart (and bank account). I won it for much more than hoped (~ 25%), and frankly for a little more than anticipated. Lot 31176.

:'(

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Watching, bidding, and winning. I am afraid my kids will not go to college...

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm 2 for ??? Isaac Rudman's Carlos & Johanna collection did very well! Wish I could have afforded more. Very strong book and HA Live bidding (on the good Mexican, at least).

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are right @pruebas , Carlos and Johanna first series did very well.

• Options

After sitting though nearly the entirety of Session 4, I came to my sole lot in the 'S' section and got blown out. Bummer.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EVillageProwler said:
    After sitting though nearly the entirety of Session 4, I came to my sole lot in the 'S' section and got blown out. Bummer.

That happened to me last night in the Doug Robbins collection. My lots were at the very end. And got blown away on them all!

• Options

@pruebas said:

@EVillageProwler said:

That happened to me last night in the Doug Robbins collection. My lots were at the very end. And got blown away on them all!

If this were an SB auction, then I could've watched it from my iPhone. But the HA mobile app is lousy.

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

Did anyone here bid on the Sweden 3 daler which went for 360K, plus juice?