Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anyone ever not get a complete Tiffany set?

Just curious. I ripped an '87 Topps Tiffany set the other day. I got all the cards you would hope to get but I noticed some weird anomalies. I got two Lloyd Mosebys in the first 50 cards I pulled out of the set and atfer going through it all I realized I never got a Mike Greenwell card (favorite player as a kid, blah blah blah). Obviously no big deal but if this is routine I imagine there could be a sh**storm if someone didn't get their Bonds.

The set was perfect, too. No funny business with the box or seal, both in excellent condition.

Arthur

Comments

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

I have a run of the Tiffany base and traded sets ( 1984 -1991 ?), but none have been outside the sealed boxes so far, so if they are short or screwed up I may never know. I also have “Tiffany “ like sets from 2000 to 2003, also unopened .

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not Tiffany, but I have opened Topps factory sets from the 2000s where some had a couple of random cards missing, and others that had every card in the set, plus a few extras.

• Options

... and no, I'm not talking about card #7 or the 5 card insert packs. Haha! I was legitimately missing random common cards that I had to track down to fill the hole in the album pages before I could ever sleep soundly again!

• Options

CD-I know exactly what you mean about the compulsion to finish. Maybe that’s why I leave mine boxed

Al
  • Options

@bishop said:
    CD-I know exactly what you mean about the compulsion to finish. Maybe that’s why I leave mine boxed

Well, I was absent from the hobby from about 1996-2012. As I got back in, I felt the compulsion to fill myself in on what I'd missed out on. I purchased a factory set from each year, busted them out, and put them into albums, so I'd kind of have a run of "yearbooks". My experience with both the missing and extra cards, as well as the number of sets that were absolutely welded together, and I am of the opinion that most people don't have what they think they have when they look at those colorful, decorative, factory set boxes.

• Options

I have a Topps pack run, 51 to 17, and have never been tempted to open any since I am sure what I like to think is in those packs is not nearly as good as what is probably in fact in them :)

Al
  • Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

@bishop said:
    I have a Topps pack run, 51 to 17, and have never been tempted to open any since I am sure what I like to think is in those packs is not nearly as good as what is probably in fact in them :)

Well stated.