Home Sports Talk
Options

What's up with Stanton?

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bargain or bust?

Comments

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

even Yankee fans are booing him, been striking out and hitting into double plays alot

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Love it !

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

He'll pick it up.....I hope.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love it too!!

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those stats are just plain ugly.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dave Kingman was a contact hitter next to this guy.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Time4aGansettTime4aGansett Posts: 382 ✭✭✭

Stanton historically starts off slow. Weather has been awful for baseball. And Sanchez gets a pass despite his worse stats?

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

@Time4aGansett said:
    Stanton historically starts off slow. Weather has been awful for baseball. And Sanchez gets a pass despite his worse stats?

How much does Sanchez make compared to Stanton?

• Options

What difference does it make?

• Options

To answer the OP's post, he certainly isn't a bargain (no matter what his numbers turn out to be), but I doubt he will be a bust. Besides, the trade was lopsided for NY, talent wise. Contract $ however could be a hurdle down the road.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Through 36 games. .237 BA. 9 HR. 23 RBI.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stanton is starting to come around now. Currently at .251 with 15 HR and 34 RBI. Projected out a full season, the numbers would be .251, 41 HR, 93 RBI. Those numbers would be his second highest HR total and 3rd highest RBI total for his career. Nobody can expect him to repeat his 59 HR MVP season from last year and I'd sign up for 40 HR from him (especially with the rest of the Yankees lineup) any day.

Daniel
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

First year jitters as a Yankee? Fan/media/Yankee history pressure?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    First year jitters as a Yankee? Fan/media/Yankee history pressure?

Possibly, or could just be an adjustment struggle to the AL pitching.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would ask what's up with Stanton and Judge?? also, has MLB changed so much that fans as well as Teams are willing to overlook K's at the expense of an HR???

I looked at some stats and they are ridiculous for both Stanton and Judge. if you were to figure a K average the same as a BA both are over .300 and Stanton's K rate is almost the same as his OBP. that's ridiculous. some of it can be attributed to where we are in the season and I expect both to improve, but the walks and the HR's to my mind just don't balance out for the number of times these guys make an out and never put the ball in play.

for comparison of HR/RBI/K look at Judge, Stanton and Jose Ramirez for the Indians:
    Aaron Judge --- 18/45/85.
    Giancarlo Stanton --- 15/34/84.
    Jose Ramirez --- 19/43/33.

there is no reason to be satisfied with all that power and the walks at the expense of the K's, it just isn't logical. these big number power hitters just need to learn some discipline and a shorter swing when the count's against them. in addition to those stats, Ramirez has more walks than Stanton and a higher BA than both with the same approximate plate appearances.

despite the awe these two Yankees inspire I would take the much lower key Ramirez over either any day. he will be a League MVP one day if he ever gets noticed, despite putting up pretty consistent numbers.

• Options

I think he may have been pressing a bit once he started out the season so poorly (minus the first game). He is now hitting .266 vs a career avg of .268 and is on pace for 41 HR and 99 RBI. The issue will be several years down the road with that fat contract but the trade was too good to pass up for this 'win now' team.

Daniel
  • Options

Stanton just hit his 21st HR yesterday. As he has in the past, getting warmer weather has increased his power. Enjoy Yankee fans.
    Now about Sanchez....

• Options

Not a bad first year at all in pinstripes: .266 batting average is really close to this .268 career average. Dude hit 38 HRS, second-highest total in his career, 100 RBI and 34 doubles (highest in his career).
    No, he didn't hit 58 HR like in 2017 but that was a career year, which most likely won't be repeated, just like Aaron Judge probably won't hit 50 again. Did he strike out a lot? Hell, yeah! Am I glad he's a Yankee, oh yeah!

Daniel
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's new here?? HR hitters strike out a lot. But how many times do those HR's win games for their team. I'm sure Yankee fans are glad they have both of these guys on their team.

Frankly I'm a little board with all the Ramirez hype!