Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Your winning bid wasn't even close to what you paid for it.

I recently put in a bid of $1,700 with PWCC and won the item for $1,225.

What's yours ?

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

So that's a 72% of max bid? On dollar amount, you win, but percentage-wise, got this one @ 62% of my snipe.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bid $6 on a PSA 7 60's football card in a Sirius auction. Got it for $3. Probably not exactly the excitement you were looking for! :)

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BALROG said:

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    Bid $6 on a PSA 7 60's football card in a Sirius auction. Got it for $3. Probably not exactly the excitement you were looking for! :)

Well neither was the Golf card dude Larkin posted. whocka whocka whocka

But it was a Stroke of Genius

• Options
    OzcelticsOzceltics Posts: 27 ✭✭

I can’t remember where I saw it but the other day someone was talking about how they put in a snipe for $999,999,999 or some ridiculously stupid figure and eBay actually denied the bid as the amount was to high. The bid didn’t go through and they didn’t get the card!

Be careful how high you go!

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently had a max bid of $350 in an auction and won the item for $80, I was beyond happy.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:

Was the last card I needed to have every card from the 1982 Wrestling All Stars in PSA 9 or higher. It took seven plus years.

The first copy has never surfaced. Second copy I put in a nuclear final bid with seconds to go of $1,001 and lost. I wasn’t going to lose this auction so I bid $2,001. Had no interest in paying that but had to have the card. Won for $580. Final hour was beyond stressful. Haha. You could hear me down the hall at the office once I won!

I never realized that Pete Rose did some wrestling.

• Options
    ExodusExodus Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

@stevek said:

I never realized that Pete Rose did some wrestling.

The Crusher was actually a baseball manager, not a player.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing in the baseball card realm but I've won plenty of sports jerseys for dirt cheap. Best one was probably a Mario Lemieux that I bid about $90 for. I got it for the opening bid of $9.99. Later sold it for $110.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2018 4:59PM

I bid sniped $602 on a 4 card Jordan lot when it was about $250 that i ended up winning for around $325. That was my highest bid i've ever made on ebay and the best part of it all was i offered $400 to the seller the day the auction started but he turned it down.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2018 4:58PM

It wasn’t exciting to pay 2k for a total bum like Mike Sharpe but The Chrusher was a huge star in the AWA for decades and was a legit strongman. He would have broken those guys in half. Thanks to YouTube I was able to watch old clips of him and see what a draw he was. $580 was a bargain!

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:
    It wasn’t exciting to pay 2k for a total bum like Mike Sharpe but The Chrusher was a huge star in the AWA for decades and was a legit strongman. He would have broken those guys in half. Thanks to YouTube I was able to watch old clips of him and see what a draw he was. $580 was a bargain!

I remember watching him as a kid on "All Star Wrestling" broadcast from the Calhoun Beach Club in Minneapolis. He was my favorite! He was not only a great grappler, but he was hilarious! He used to have a big cigar clenched in his teeth much of the time and I'll never forget once it got smashed into his face and he still kept it in his mouth.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

A raw 1980 Charlotte O’s Cal Ripken about 4-5 years ago. I think most folks thought it was a RP but I knew it was the real deal.

Bid $1,999

Won it for a few hundred lol

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

@addicted2ebay said:
    A raw 1980 Charlotte O’s Cal Ripken about 4-5 years ago. I think most folks thought it was a RP but I knew it was the real deal.

Bid $1,999

What about the blue flip auto here? I venture to guess it is a reprint, centering and condition is too nice.

https://ebay.com/itm/CAL-RIPKEN-JR-AUTOGRAPHED-1980-WBTV-CHARLOTTE-OS-CARD-16-PSA-DNA-RARE-L-K/312107615834?hash=item48ab10465a:g:T8gAAOSwBDlazNpY

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭✭

Not card related, but I have won a couple items for 10% of my bid. In fact, one time, I was thinking about upping my snipe just so I could brag that I was willing to pay 10X for something.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

You guys should get into rare and obscure vintage boxing items. I've got tons of stories of finding uncatalogued Joe Louis premiums and putting in a $600 snipe and winning it for $24.99 because no one else saw it or knew what it was. Vintage boxing is like the wild wild west -- the book is literally still being written on what is out there and how rare it is. Nothing more enjoyable than being the first person to properly identify an item and catalog it.

Arthur

• Options

@maddux69 said:

@addicted2ebay said:

Bid $1,999

What about the blue flip auto here? I venture to guess it is a reprint, centering and condition is too nice.

https://ebay.com/itm/CAL-RIPKEN-JR-AUTOGRAPHED-1980-WBTV-CHARLOTTE-OS-CARD-16-PSA-DNA-RARE-L-K/312107615834?hash=item48ab10465a:g:T8gAAOSwBDlazNpY

I agree. I don’t believe PSA would label it a “Trading Card” if it was authentic

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

@addicted2ebay said:

I agree. I don’t believe PSA would label it a “Trading Card” if it was authentic

With the blue flips while they don't authenticate the card, they do notate them as reprints as seen below. I remember there was an interim when all blue flips were designated as just "trading cards".

• Options

@maddux69 said:

@addicted2ebay said:

With the blue flips while they don't authenticate the card, they do notate them as reprints as seen below. I remember there was an interim when all blue flips were designated as just "trading cards".

It looks like this reprint below
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-CAL-RIPKEN-JR-CHARLOTTE-O-039-S-BLUE-BORDER-Minor-League-RC-16-RARE-/323196903409?hash=item4b40095ff1:g:BIAAAOSwEElayeBx&redirect=mobile&nma=true&si=lqMzMAgo1boToVL4pdrR0L1rg9M%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&redirect=mobile

• Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

this isnt for a card but here it is. in Nov of 2014 i bid $1600 for two tickets to the Pats at Packers. Included were two pregame sideline passes, a parking pass, and two vouchers to be game day ambassadors. game day ambassadors wear gold sport coats and form the line the players run through for introductions in the pregame. needless to say no one else bid so I got it all for the min bid of $800. Face on the tickets was $286. keep in mind that at that point in the season both the Packers and Pats were hot teams and it was one of the hottest tickets on the market that year. i can only assume no one else bid on it because the seller didn't know what he was really selling. turns out the seller one the package through a master card promo. we learned that when we picked up the pregame passes and were handed a digital camera as being the with the master card promo. my brother in law and i even ended up on the pregame highlights...we are at the end of the video in the gold jackets at the end of the line.

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Sights--Sounds-Packers-vs-Patriots/c54218f8-e6b0-479b-a1d3-dcdf46784aef

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not remember the exact differential but for me it was a few years ago on a 1959 Fence Busters PSA 8.5. I could not find any recent sales of 8s or 9s to try and gauge price. The card came in at less than 2/3 my max with no snipes at the end. Since then several have sold for right around what I paid for it so was just a case where I like the card more than the rest of the world! Am always tempted to buy a second one because I love the card and it seems like a bargain to me - Aaron and Mathews and the Wrigley scoreboard is a great look.

• Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Did this once by accident. What do I win?