Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What is the best solvent to remove light scratches on slabs?

Looking for a solvent that will remove the light scratches and not leave behind any haziness. I know that anything acetone based would not work out, which you might know if you tried to clean plexiglass with a cleaner that has acetone. Scratches aren't too deep and don't affect the integrity of the card or holder. Thanks

Comments

• handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a at least 20 year old case that was extremely beat up. And I just rubbed a little Wd-40 on it and it made it look like new.

• CARDSANDCOINSCARDSANDCOINS Posts: 340 ✭✭✭

• detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭✭

I use Goo Gone and it works awesome.

• dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2018 5:31AM

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • minnesotahuskerminnesotahusker Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2018 8:04AM

As of two minutes ago, I can confirm that WD-40 works.

I just received a PSA graded card that I won from ebay, and was sad to see SEVERAL scratches on the front and back of the case. I didn't, but I should have taken a before and after picture of the case not only for a results standpoint, but also from a cover my arse standpoint for the seller. Amazing results. Can't even tell they were there.

I don't know what the magic "it" ingredient is in WD-40, but it seriously is my go-to for everything. There is nothing it can't fix.

Thanks to the OP for this post.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2018 1:48PM

There are acrylic polishing kits that start with a cleaner and then go to decreasingly less to no grit if the scratches are slightly deep.

I use it on plastic items on my truck but I remember someone posting the use of something like this years ago.

Here's the kit I have - "Novus"

Mike
  • dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

Plastx and Slab-Renew work well

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2018 9:59AM

Solvents don't remove scratches. You need a polishing agent for that. I used Meguiars PlastX recently to remove scratches and scuffs from a few slabs. Worked perfectly. The kit came with small fine sanding sponges and a cloth. Only needed the cloth, as the PlastX is a micro abrasive itself. Took me two minutes of buffing and they came right out. Also works well for polishing/cleaning older 90's atomic refractors. Oh and beware using "solvents" on plastics in general. Stuff like Acetone (nail polish remover) can actually eat away at clear plastics, clouding them up. And I would be careful with WD-40, they contain petroleum distillates, and they can possibly eat the plastics up over time.

Before/After Pics

myslabs.to/smzcards