Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anyone recognize these? 1993 Topps Gold Cello Pack

PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 23, 2019 12:08PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

It's a box of 1993 Topps gold baseball with 39 cards in a sealed cello pack inside. This much I know. but what I'm curious about is how these were distributed. Were they given out as prizes for the game cards or to dealers, etc. Anyone?

Promethius881969@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, gosh, 25 years ago... I'm trying to recall... and I feel a memory trying to bubble up...I may be completely off on this, but I believe there was some kind of scratch off insert game inside of each pack, where you could win free Topps gold cards. Topps failed to realize until well into the distribution of the game pieces that all you had to do was hold them up to a light bulb and you could tell which ones to scratch off. What you have is likely one of the early prizes. After being flooded with winner redemptions, they began stamping the later prizes in gold foil with the word winner above the player name. I'm not sure how accurate my memory is, but it sure seems like it was something along those lines.

• Options

Oooops! I think I was off by a year. 1992 had the word winner stamped on. I guess I have no idea what you have.

• Options

@countdouglas said:
    Oh, gosh, 25 years ago... I'm trying to recall... and I feel a memory trying to bubble up...I may be completely off on this, but I believe there was some kind of scratch off insert game inside of each pack, where you could win free Topps gold cards. Topps failed to realize until well into the distribution of the game pieces that all you had to do was hold them up to a light bulb and you could tell which ones to scratch off. What you have is likely one of the early prizes. After being flooded with winner redemptions, they began stamping the later prizes in gold foil with the word winner above the player name. I'm not sure how accurate my memory is, but it sure seems like it was something along those lines.

Those were in 1992. These are the winner redemption packs you are thinking of....

• Options

Just came across this. First time I'm aware of seeing this type of packaging. The numbers don't quite match up. 36 or 40 vs 39. I don't have a good explanation, but it's cool to see something I've never seen before, both this photo and yours.

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    edited April 15, 2018 1:45PM

The Topps 1992 Gold full set was 792, same as base set. There was also a traded set of 132 and a God Winner set of 792. In 1993 the Gold set was 825 and in 1994 792

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

I knew they did a some years of full gold sets but I just can't figure out what the heck this pack is from or why 39 cards

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brien Taylor - if memory serves, he was #6 in the 1992 Topps set?

Did you get the "gold set" in '92, Al?

Mike
  • Options
    FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭

The 1993 gold card were inserts in packs.

• Options

Putting this back to the top in case there are any new eyes that might have an idea.

• Options

Perhaps Reed knows?

• Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Redemption prize pack perhaps? Factory set bonus or dealer sample?

What player is on the bottom of the cello? If the card number or printing year is different, then that may provide a clue of pre-production status.

• Options

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you tried an Email/call to Topps?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Where in the world did you get that cello from? I used to love those cards.

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Yes, with the product code 1-996-39-01-3 they must have some records of how they were distributed.

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Not yet. That thought only crossed my mind yesterday.

EagleEyeKid said:
    Where in the world did you get that cello from? I used to love those cards.

Just in with some old store inventory. I can't say where originally.

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

The 93 and 94 Gold sets are pretty easy to put together but getting both variations of the winner cards, certified ( redeemed) and uncertified ( never redeemed) can be tough and expensive, especialły the uncertified versions. There are 14 possible checklists for both sets... A, B, C, D, A/B, C/D, A/B/C/D cards, certified and uncertified

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al