Home Sports Talk
Options

the first sport super star that you met in person

electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

I recall meeting as a seven year old Rocket Richard and his brother Henri walking in the lobby at the Olympia arena in Detroit it was before a game against the Wings it was on a very cold winter night my uncle brought us to the game and fittingly bought us Montreal jerseys he said in french "look who just came in" it was the Richard brothers,Rocket noticed me gleaming with joy and he came over and shook my head.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

I played little league baseball in the same league as Lou Brock, Jr. for a couple of years. His dad came to the games when he could and signed autographs for anyone who asked. Great guy.

He wasn't a superstar at the time, and depending on your definition maybe he never was, but I "met" Bobby Joe Edmonds (played for the Seahawks and went to a Pro Bowl as a punt returner) when I lined up against him in high school (me on kickoff return, Bobby Joe on kickoff). I never spoke to him, unless you count the noise I made when all the air left my lungs when he hit me harder than I have ever been hit. And the worst part was that Edmonds' team (Lutheran North) was much better than my team, so they kicked off 7 or 8 times that game.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2018 12:42PM

If Billy Martin qualifies, I was in the front row at Tiger Stadium as he was picking up BP balls. My dad congratulated him for his good managing the team and he tossed us a ball.

Sat a table over from Isaiah Thomas, Bill Laimbeer, Joe Dumars and Chuck Nevitt at a Windsor Ontario strip club in 1986. Chatted with Nevitt for a bit. Other guys were preoccupied.

;)

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

David Thompson, aka Luke Skywalker in the summer of 1975 in a very small night club in the suburbs of Denver, Colo. He would have been about 22 years of age at the time.

I was 19 years old having finished my freshman year of playing small college hoops. I went up to his table, introduced myself and engaged in some small talk. he was friendly, but his companion (an attractive young woman) was seriously put out with me interrupting their evening. The looks she gave me while i was talking with DT were withering.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gordon Howe at the old Olympia in Detroit. I peed my pants. I was probably 5

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I met Stan Musial and Duke Snider at a Dodgers/Cardinal game at old Sportsman Park in STL when I was a young lad.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

m

Gordon Howe? Did you ever meet Albert Kaline?

;)

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Gordon Howe? Did you ever meet Albert Kaline?

;)

Indeed. In 1972 what a gentleman

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

If Rocket shook my head I don't think I would ever wash my hair again !!!!
    As a young boy at Jarry park (expos) I met Ernie Banks and Ron Santo. They were having fun with us kids and signing autos. Ernie was having more fun than us. I became a Ernie lifelong fan that day. I was so glad Santo made the HOF. So pissed they could have done it when he was alive. Years later I met Ernie again and just as pleasant.
    What a great man and ambassador for baseball.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 4th grade teacher dated Joe Namath.

• Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭

Jack Barton Adkisson Sr. AKA: Fritz Von Erich. Dallas sportatorium late 60's early 70's.

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 15, 2018 8:05AM

When i was about 5-6 my dad to took me to a Patriots autograph event and i met Steve Grogan,Stanley Morgan & Sam Cunningham,not sports superstars but definitely some Patriots legends. The only memory i had of that day was walking around with the huge autographed photos (8x10's in my little hands.) As I got older i got to watch Grogan & Morgan play but not Cunningham although once his younger brother Randall Cunningham got to the nfl he ended up being one of my favorite players. Don't let stevek know that i was a closet eagles fan for years.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    When i was about 5-6 my dad to took me to a Patriots autograph event and i met Steve Grogan,Stanley Morgan & Sam Cunningham,not sports superstars but definitely some Patriots legends. The only memory i had of that day was walking around with the huge autographed photos (8x10's in my little hands.) As I got older i got to watch Grogan & Morgan play but not Cunningham although once his younger brother Randall Cunningham got to the nfl he ended up being one of my favorite players. Don't let stevek know that i was a closet eagles fan for years.

We accept Eagles fans from everywhere...in the closet, basement, crawlspace, attic, even living in a van down by the river. :)

• Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

I was about 3 or 4 in downtown Chicago with my mom and she recognized someone walking but mistakenly called him by a previous name. He responded, "I am no longer Cassius Clay, my name is Muhammad Ali."

• Options

@lightningboy said:
    I was about 3 or 4 in downtown Chicago with my mom and she recognized someone walking but mistakenly called him by a previous name. He responded, "I am no longer Cassius Clay, my name is Muhammad Ali."

I meet him in an airport lounge. He told me the back story of why he ended up good to UCLA rather then Michigan. He was engaging. He also admitted then Laimbeer didn’t foul him ona pivotal play in the finals. He did say that he fouled him about 20 other times that game that didn’t get called

m

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Sixty years ago my father took me to a Red Sox game and I met Ted Williams.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@lightningboy said:

I meet him in an airport lounge. He told me the back story of why he ended up good to UCLA rather then Michigan. He was engaging. He also admitted then Laimbeer didn’t foul him ona pivotal play in the finals. He did say that he fouled him about 20 other times that game that didn’t get called

m

Lew Alcindor-Kareem Abdul Jabbar

We can blame the lapse on jet lag.

:)

• Options

I think I caught something from Dimeman

mark

• Options

You got away in the knick of time.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

Harmon Killebrew at a autograph signing. He was very gracious, a true super person!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

I met Kerri Strug at Trader Joe's about a month after she won Olympic Gold. She was a super star for a week or two.

• Options
    electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

I asked Stan Makita at a sport card signing in Detroit who was the toughest goalie that he ever played against he replied "all of them!"

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭

Lynn Swann at a TGIFridays with my Sadie Hawkins dance date in ‘88. Sitting elevated above the bar and I hear “Hey look, we can eat this guy’s fries” and there he was. Talked with us a ton that night, even excusing himself to sign autographs for a table of my HS’s football players before returning to us. Treated me like an old buddy and I was the talk of the dance that night among my classmates, thinking that we were longtime pals. Favorite player of all time, even more so after that night.

Jim

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got Louis Tiant's autograph when I was about 10.