Home Sports Talk
Options

Oldest Sports Television Viewed Memory

BALROGBALROG Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

The Garo pass. In the same game, vaguely recall seeing Griese trying to avoid a sack and losing massive yards close to the end zone.

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had to be the demolition derby. 1960 or so.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 6th grade teacher brought in a small portable tv to school in 86 so we could watch one of the Celtics-Rockets Finals games live during school hours.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Franz Klammer downhill at the olympics in 76

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Eagles winning the Super Bowl.

Everything else before that I've blocked out.

• Options
    electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Montreal Canadiens winning another Stanley cup with Maurice Richard on CBC television.

• Options
    electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2018 5:18PM

As a youth i will always remember watching Maurice's last cup win on television and my brother and i were in tears because we knew it was the end of his career.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

ABC Wide World of Sports, "The thrill of Victory and the agony of Defeat" was a staple on Saturday afternoons.
    the PBA was also on Saturdays and we were a big Bowling family.
    NASCAR on Sundays with the old-time drivers like Richard Petty.

these were all in the early 60's before Baseball, Football and Basketball were widely televised.

• Options

@keets said:
    ABC Wide World of Sports, "The thrill of Victory and the agony of Defeat" was a staple on Saturday afternoons.

these were all in the early 60's before Baseball, Football and Basketball were widely televised.

Yup. Wide World was spectacular. Loved the cliff diving. Watched bowling as well. In Detroit we picked up Hockey Night in Canada and Curling on Sunday mornings, 50 years before the world discovered that it was cool.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

Vinko Bogatai that poor bastard over the ski jump every week . They had a motorcycle racer wipeout too sometimes they both looked like ragdolls bouncing over the ground limbs flailing

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

Packers - Giants 1961 Championship game. Watching it with my father and brother. All long gone now. Swift fly the years.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

Friday night fights (Boxing), Make That Spare (Bowling show).

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember watching Home Run Derby. I remember watching OSU Basketball before the Lucas, Havlicek era. Not sure which was first.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

1972 Olympics: Olga Korbut on the uneven bars, Dave Wottle in the 800M, Mark Spitz in nearly every swimming event. Vasily Alekseyez in the clean and jerk, US vs. Russia basketball, Kip Keino in the 1500M... I still remember that Olympics like it was yesterday.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ice Bowl. Packers vs Cowboys. I was a wee lad and sat on my Dad’s lap the whole game. I cried when the Cowboys lost. Those were the days where one could actually still root for them

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

1975-1977 time frame, I was laying on my parents bed watching a football game and either a kickoff or punt Into the end zone and the returner ran it back all the way to the 1 yard line, I remember asking my father “What team is that” and he told me it was the Dallas Cowboys. I said that was my favorite team and loved them till about the time Drew Bledsoe joined the Patriots

• Options
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

Monster truck racing in 1986. Back then it was actually racing, and not just a flip over contest it is today. I still have the vhs tapes we got back then, but am afraid to play them.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

The first stick & ball sports I remember clearly are the 1992 Olympics, although my family tells me I watched the 1988 games as well, I have no memories of it even though I remember other things from '88.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options

Chick Anderson on the call. “He is moving like a tremendous machine”. Chills

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

m

I've read where Anderson had used that call before in some other races he had announced previous to this. So it wasn't the first time he said it, but it couldn't have been a better time in what was a great race call in a great historical race.

Little known fact - that was Sham's final race.

• Options
    edited April 14, 2018 8:56PM

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

I've read where Anderson had used that call before in some other races he had announced previous to this. So it wasn't the first time he said it, but it couldn't have been a better time in what was a great race call in a great historical race.

Little known fact - that was Sham's final race.

Secretariat sucked the life out of Sham who was a fine horse in his own right. I’ve never seen a move like that after a mile. It went from 1 length to 8 lengths in a what seemed like 2 seconds. They actually had to pan the camera to fit them both in the screen

m

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

I still remember the 72 Olympics and Mark Spitz. Then all what happened after.
    I also remember seeing Franz Klammer's run and remember thinking he has put it all in.
    I also remember Secretariat and that amazing run. At the end of the race you knew you were watching once in a lifetime history.
    I watched early nascar....Pearson, Yarborough, Petty, Allison and even older guys. I remember seeing a circular Tractor (yes the front part of tractor trailer) race with A.J.Foyt drivng. What a hero he was to me. He cold drive everything from skateboards to space shuttles.
    I loved watching Joe Namath throw a 40 yard missile straight up the middle. I have not seen a QB since that had his arm. It just kills me when I hear people who never saw him play and look at just his stats and say he's overrated.
    I would watch the superstar competitions. O.J. ran away in the 100 yard dash.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    1975-1977 time frame, I was laying on my parents bed watching a football game and either a kickoff or punt Into the end zone and the returner ran it back all the way to the 1 yard line, I remember asking my father “What team is that” and he told me it was the Dallas Cowboys. I said that was my favorite team and loved them till about the time Drew Bledsoe joined the Patriots

You must have loved it when Drew eventually went Dallas. I know it never came close to happening but how awesome would a Brady/Belichick vs Bledsoe/Parcells Super bowl match been?

• Options

Erik that would have been epic! Imagine the cat n mouse with that matchup WOW

• Options
    edited April 15, 2018 12:53PM

Another early memory I have is watching Theismans leg getting snapped by LT.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jay0791 said:
    I still remember the 72 Olympics and Mark Spitz. Then all what happened after.
    I also remember seeing Franz Klammer's run and remember thinking he has put it all in.
    I also remember Secretariat and that amazing run. At the end of the race you knew you were watching once in a lifetime history.
    I watched early nascar....Pearson, Yarborough, Petty, Allison and even older guys. I remember seeing a circular Tractor (yes the front part of tractor trailer) race with A.J.Foyt drivng. What a hero he was to me. He cold drive everything from skateboards to space shuttles.
    I loved watching Joe Namath throw a 40 yard missile straight up the middle. I have not seen a QB since that had his arm. It just kills me when I hear people who never saw him play and look at just his stats and say he's overrated.
    I would watch the superstar competitions. O.J. ran away in the 100 yard dash.

Joe "Willie" had the quickest or at least the top 5 quickest releases I have ever seen.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

Early 1960's my dad called me over to the TV saying "Let's see if Harmon hits one for you". Had no idea what he was talking about, went in to the living room and saw Killebrew for the first time. Must have been about 6 or 7 years old.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

By coincidence I saw the Mike Tyson-Buster Douglas fight broadcast from Japan.

Stopped by a friend's house late and he had the fight on. Didn't pay much attention and finally said to my friend, which one is Tyson? Had to make sure as he was getting his butt kicked.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 15, 2018 9:21PM

Mine would be the 1972 Munich Olympics, World Series with Tenace, Rudi and Fingers, and The Immaculate Reception, all from August - December 1972.

Steve

• Options
    edited April 16, 2018 8:05AM

1970's heavyweight fights with Ali, Foreman, Holmes, Frazier and of course called by Cosell were spectacular.

• Options

Love him or hate him, Howard Cosell knew boxing and was always astute and entertaining in calling a match. Except towards the end when he got tired of boxing and decided to quit calling the matches, i think it was the Holmes-Cobb fight was his last call. I watched that fight, and Howard's diatribe was awful.