Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Best clear archival pages for storing and displaying banknotes in a ring binder?

I am new banknote collector and find it fascinating. I have accumulated a few old banknotes from around the world. Now I am looking for put them in a ring binder. I am looking into getting clear 1-pocket and 2-pocket plastic pages but so far I have found flimsy and thin plastic pages that may not protect these delicate notes. I read that in regards to material mylar (non-PVC) is best but have also read vinyl would be strongest. Any recommendations for heavy duty pages that wont bend/fold easily and protect my collection. Thank you!

Tagged:

Comments

• USAFRETWIUSAFRETWI Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

Lindner Binders work great for raw and certified notes. Made in Germany I believe. eBay has them, best I’ve had.

• Patch3E9Patch3E9 Posts: 17 ✭✭

I'll give you two suggestions for holders and albums that I use.

You can obtain Mylar holders from Denly's of Boston:
    https://www.denlys.com/inventory/holders2.asp?category=Bank Note and Check Holders

Lighthouse albums:
    https://www.lighthouse.us/more-accessories/accessories-for-banknotes/

Hope this helps!

If common sense is so common, why is it so uncommon?
  • Thank you guys for your input.
    It was a hard decision, but I went with Lighthouse grande binder with 2-pocket (2c) pages.
    Reason for choosing these pages was that the pockets ate big enough for my large-size european banknote collection.
    But the pages are not "rigid" so I also purchased supersafe sleeves (8x5 inches in size) so plan to put notes first in sleeve and then into the pages so together the banknotes will be protected from accidental bending/folding.
    Both the pages and sleeves are archival and PVC-free (museum quality) so hopefully the banknotes will be protected.
    I have placed the order from JPscorner.com and cant wait to get it.
    Will let you know how they work.
    Also will appreciate what other people think. Please include your comment...appreciate it!

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

:) !!!

Timbuk3
  • tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

@desiboyee said:
    Thank you guys for your input.
    It was a hard decision, but I went with Lighthouse grande binder with 2-pocket (2c) pages.
    Reason for choosing these pages was that the pockets ate big enough for my large-size european banknote collection.
    But the pages are not "rigid" so I also purchased supersafe sleeves (8x5 inches in size) so plan to put notes first in sleeve and then into the pages so together the banknotes will be protected from accidental bending/folding.
    Both the pages and sleeves are archival and PVC-free (museum quality) so hopefully the banknotes will be protected.
    I have placed the order from JPscorner.com and cant wait to get it.
    Will let you know how they work.
    Also will appreciate what other people think. Please include your comment...appreciate it!

That's what I use...very happy with them!

• Update: the Lighthouse Grande album is bigger than standard 3-ringer binders but well built with nice leather and has a matching slipcase. The clear Grande pages (2-pocket and 3-pocket) are much wider than normal pages and quite firm. I am able to fit my old large European notes in with ease and there is room on the sides. I really like the Supersafe sleeves which have a fold-over design which keep the note securely in. Some may prefer other brands that have a flap design but I actually like the fold-over style. The sleeves by themselves are not too firm which was ideal since the banknote with the sleeve could nice fit into the Grande page pocket without being too bulky. All together the notes are secured and well displayed. The binder has a D-ring design and can hold 60 pages or more. I need to buy more pages (usually sold as a pack of 5) as my collection grows but I am happy with the result. You can also buy black ZWL interleaves which are nice and firm plastic and look very nice. I only have a few of these interleaves which I put at the beginning and also at the end of the album and it looks great. I will post some pictures soon.