Home Sports Talk
Options

2018 New York Mets!

grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 17, 2018 10:35PM in Sports Talk

Off to a great start! Love the way Callaway is pushing all the right buttons. He and Eiland are doing a terrific job.

The bullpen has been exceptional.

SteveK is ready to break out his '69 Seaver jersey.

Let's Go Mets!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mets off to a red hot start. If the Nationals can languish a bit this season, it could be an interesting race in the NL East.

And don't count out those Phillies of Philadelphia.

• Options

9-1? This is getting a bit ridiculous.

I think the Mets players are all on steroids. Either that or some New York chemist over the winter invented a new performance enhancing drug.

• Options

Mets 10-1 with the best record in baseball?

They were 70-92 last season. A turnaround like this is not realistically possible...it defies the laws of physics in the universe.

Meanwhile, the Phillies are playing some decent baseball, and I can't even fully enjoy it.

If this trend with the Mets continues, i'm going to contact the CIA, FBI, EPA, and any other government agency with three letters that i can think of, and demand a full and complete investigation.

• Options

Another night, another win for the team with the best record in baseball.

Frazier with his first two HRs in a Mets uniform.

I love the way Callaway is utilizing the bullpen. Both Gsellman and Lugo, converted starters, have been absolutely terrific.
    LGM!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice to see they're finally recovering from the Royals beat down in the 2015 world series.

• Options

@Darin said:
    Nice to see they're finally recovering from the Royals beat down in the 2015 world series.

Enjoy the memory. Lord knows the Royals fans will need to look back to block the harsh reality of the abysmal 2018 season in store for them, LOL..

• Options

I saw that...adding to the thread title.

Dam, I hate it when Mets fans are happy.

But meanwhile, the Phillies have quietly moved up into third place. :)

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@Darin said:

Enjoy the memory. Lord knows the Royals fans will need to look back to block the harsh reality of the abysmal 2018 season in store for them, LOL..

So true Grote. LOL. But the memories are really nice.
    I wouldn't mind seeing a Mets-Angels world series for 2018.
    Good luck to them, a great start is nice but as you know its a long season.

• Options

Say "Hello" to the second place Philadelphia Phillies.

Mets may get nervous and start thinking about moving from New York to some California city.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tonight is a very important game for the Mets to win. Bouncing back from such a brutal loss would show a lot.

• Options

Mets blew a 5 run lead going into the 8th inning.

Grote15 may have had a flashback and thought Roger Craig was on the mound.

• Options

If it's the NFL, I'll take a 12-4 record and a first round bye.

Still on pace to go 120-40...maybe we can add Ryan Howard at first if SteveK can get ahold of him..

• Options

Phillies only 2 games out now.

Grote15 seen getting his passport ready in case he has to get out of town.

Tim, I've told you this before, I know you've never traveled outside of New York, but you don't need a passport to go into another state.

• Options

Huge comeback win tonight! Cespedes for the rest of us!

• Options
    edited April 19, 2018 11:11AM

@grote15 said:
    Huge comeback win tonight! Cespedes for the rest of us!

Very important win, very nice to go to Atlanta on a positive note.

• Options

Congrats on the Mets winning one in a row - very impressive.

Today's 12-4 pounding is now back to normal.

The only question remaining is when will the Phillies take over first place in the NL East.

• Options

@stevek said:
    Congrats on the Mets winning one in a row - very impressive.

Today's 12-4 pounding is now back to normal.

The only question remaining is when will the Phillies take over first place in the NL East.

That may happen...in 2023.

• Options

I thought losing MLB teams normally waited until September to collapse?

I guess the Mets figured they'd do it in April.

All kidding aside...i still think it may be a very interesting race in the NL East all season. Might see first place move back and forth frequently. However if the Phillies grab first place in April and keep it, i sure won't complain. ;)

• Options

Just thought I'd paste the below chart as a soon to be memento that the Mets were once in first place during the 2018 MLB season in the NL East.

Oh Mets fans, you don't need to thank me for doing this for ya, it's my pleasure.

NATIONAL LEAGUE EAST
    TEAM W L PCT. GB RS RA DIFF HOME ROAD EAST CENT WEST L10 STRK
    N.Y. Mets 14 6 .700 - 96 80 16 7-4 7-2 10-4 4-2 0-0 5-5 L 1
    Philadelphia 14 7 .667 ½ 106 73 33 9-1 5-6 4-7 7-0 0-0 8-2 W 4
    Atlanta 12 8 .600 2 111 77 34 8-4 4-4 9-6 1-1 2-1 6-4 W 1
    Washington 10 11 .476 4½ 90 96 -6 3-7 7-4 5-7 3-0 2-4 4-6 L 1
    Miami 5 16 .238 9½ 69 127 -58 3-9 2-7 1-5 3-8 0-0 2-8 L 4

• Options

It is quite clear to me that the Phillies are overdue to a 10-game losing streak which shall begin tomorrow...I'm certain of it. :cold_sweat:

• Options

@grote15 said:
    It is quite clear to me that the Phillies are overdue to a 10-game losing streak which shall begin tomorrow...I'm certain of it. :cold_sweat:

Well since the Phillies don't have a game scheduled for tomorrow, I think it would be very difficult for that losing streak to begin tomorrow.

But since Grote15 knows the game of MLB better than anyone else I've ever seen posting on the internet, there must be some obscure rule on this which I wasn't familiar with. ;)

• Options

Phillies lose, Mets win, all is right again with the world..

• Options

Interesting that the Phillies and Mets were the two bottom teams last season in the NL East, way out of the race...and now so far they are the two top teams. A little bit unusual.

Could be some sort of record...that of course nobody cares about - LOL

• Options

Mets management was heading to the draft today when they were abruptly told that it is for football players, not baseball players.

• Options

Mets hanging on to first place in the NL East like a Plantar wart you can't get rid of.

I'm not worried about it. Won't be long before we'll be saying "Hello" to the first place NL East Philadelphia Phillies.

• Options

Mets losing 12-2 to the Padres?

Mets should be ashamed of themselves.

Grote15 seen on Ebay selling all his Mets memorabilia for a $1 each and free shipping. No returns allowed, if the buyer doesn't like it, Grote15 says in the sale to just throw it out, and he will refund the payment.

• Options

Despite last night's blowout loss, Mets take 2 out of 3 from SD to win the series while Philly loses again today to drop their 3rd out of last 4 games. Won't be long before Philly fans start turning their attention to preseason football..

• Options

@stevek said:
    Mets losing 12-2 to the Padres?

Mets should be ashamed of themselves.

Grote15 seen on Ebay selling all his Mets memorabilia for a $1 each and free shipping. No returns allowed, if the buyer doesn't like it, Grote15 says in the sale to just throw it out, and he will refund the payment.

I'm sorry, Steve, I see the score is 12-2, but the Mets are winning, LOL..

• Options

When the Mets produce a video for their 2018 season with their highlights, they may title it, "We were in first place in April"

LOL

• Options

Good thing the Phillies and Marlins are in the NL East or we may fall into last place.

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

Go Braves!

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options

@dennis07 said:
    Go Braves!

It's been a "crazy" season in the NL East thus far. I don't think i can recall so many times in so few games played, whereby teams get blown out, then they come back the next game and blow out the other team, and vice versa.

In any event...i'd wish Mets and Braves fans good luck...but you'd know I wouldn't mean it. ;)

• Options

When does NFL preseason start?

• Options

@grote15 said:
    When does NFL preseason start?

Sometime late summer when the Phillies and Mets are battling it out for 3rd place in the NL East. :/

With the Nats creeping back into it, I just don't have a good feeling right now about the way this season is progressing. :/

• Options
    edited May 5, 2018 9:14AM

The way this season has gone it already feels like August.

• Options
    edited May 6, 2018 7:32PM

https://247sports.com/Bolt/Former-Florida-Gator-Tim-Tebow-homers-for-second-straight-day-for-New-York-Mets-Double-A-affiliate-117999859

Tim Tebow off to hot start in May, homers in consecutive games

If the Mets continue to flounder, perhaps Tim Tebow can be brought up to save the day? ;)

• Options

@stevek said:
    https://247sports.com/Bolt/Former-Florida-Gator-Tim-Tebow-homers-for-second-straight-day-for-New-York-Mets-Double-A-affiliate-117999859

Tim Tebow off to hot start in May, homers in consecutive games

If the Mets continue to flounder, perhaps Tim Tebow can be brought up to save the day? ;)

With 38 strikeouts in 77 ABs, he fits right in, lol..

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you can't tell by my avatar, I'm a Yankees fan but I do feel bad about Matt Harvey. For a few years, he looked like the next Tom Seaver. At least he made some good money playing the game he presumably loves.

Daniel
  • Options

@BaltimoreYankee said:
    If you can't tell by my avatar, I'm a Yankees fan but I do feel bad about Matt Harvey. For a few years, he looked like the next Tom Seaver. At least he made some good money playing the game he presumably loves.

He is a classic example of why the MLBPA needs to renegotiate the service time requirements for free agency. With the frequency and severity of injuries (especially to pitchers) these days,
    your arm can be blown out and your career pretty much over before you have the chance to earn any real money.

At the very least some provision needs to be made for rewarding those who vastly out-perform their contract during those early years.

• Options

In the case of Harvey, though, he's made close to 6 million each of the past two seasons while providing essentially nothing in return, so I'm not feeling any sympathy for him. Sports is a risky profession. Injuries are part of the landscape but I don't think you'll find too many fans wishing the players made even more money than they do.

• Options

Yeah, I guess the arbitration eligibility does address this somewhat, at least DeGrom is making 4-7 million over the last couple of years rather than $500,000.

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Should the Mets pick up Blake Swihart before the Red Sox decide not to trade him. I'm sure with the right deal the Red Sox could be willing to let the best fielding center fielder go too.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did the Mets really bat out of order in the first inning?

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

They did. Wiped out a double by Cabrera. Might have been the difference in a 1-run game, too.

This team is toast.

• Options

Grote15 - Thank you for placing that Tom Seaver, autographed, World Series game worn jersey "Buy It Now" on Ebay for $1 with free shipping.

I just made payment thru PayPal, so ship it out as soon as ya can. I'll be sure to leave positive feedback.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

m

Interesting on that. The Reds let him bat so if Cabrera struck out, there would of course be no need to contact the umpires about this.

i just wonder how it would have affected the ability to call that when the lineup comes thru the second time? IE: If Cabrera struck out his first time at bat and the Reds didn't do anything, but say Cabrera gets a double in his second time at bat. Would the Reds be allowed to contact the umpires then to call him out, or does it have to be done only the first time the player bats out of order?

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2018 10:41PM

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Interesting on that. The Reds let him bat so if Cabrera struck out, there would of course be no need to contact the umpires about this.

i just wonder how it would have affected the ability to call that when the lineup comes thru the second time? IE: If Cabrera struck out his first time at bat and the Reds didn't do anything, but say Cabrera gets a double in his second time at bat. Would the Reds be allowed to contact the umpires then to call him out, or does it have to be done only the first time the player bats out of order?

Straight out of the rule book:

Rule 6.03 Batter Illegal Action
    (b) Batting Out of Turn

(1) A batter shall be called out, on appeal, when he fails to bat in his proper turn, and another batter completes a time at bat in his place.

(2) The proper batter may take his place in the batter’s box at any time before the improper batter becomes a runner or is put out, and any balls and strikes shall be counted in the proper batter’s time at bat.

(3) When an improper batter becomes a runner or is put out, and the defensive team appeals to the umpire before the first pitch to the next batter of either team, or before any play or attempted play, the umpire shall (1) declare the proper batter out; and (2) nullify any advance or score made because of a ball batted by the improper batter or because of the improper batter’s advance to first base on a hit, an error, a base on balls, a hit batter or otherwise.

(4) If a runner advances, while the improper batter is at bat, on a stolen base, balk, wild pitch or passed ball, such advance is legal.

(5) When an improper batter becomes a runner or is put out, and a pitch is made to the next batter of either team before an appeal is made, the improper batter thereby becomes the proper batter, and the results of his time at bat become legal.

(6) When the proper batter is called out because he has failed to bat in turn, the next batter shall be the batter whose name follows that of the proper batter thus called out.

(7) When an improper batter becomes a proper batter because no appeal is made before the next pitch, the next batter shall be the batter whose name follows that of such legalized improper batter. The instant an improper batter’s actions are legalized, the batting order picks up with the name following that of the legalized improper batter.

Rule 6.03(b)(7) Comment: The umpire shall not direct the attention of any person to the presence in the batter’s box of an improper batter. This rule is designed to require constant vigilance by the players and managers of both teams.

There are two fundamentals to keep in mind: When a player bats out of turn, the proper batter is the player called out. If an improper batter bats and reaches base or is out and no appeal is made before a pitch to the next batter, or before any play or attempted play, that improper batter is considered to have batted in proper turn and establishes the order that is to follow.

Steve

• Options

@SDSportsFan said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Straight out of the rule book:

Rule 6.03 Batter Illegal Action
    (b) Batting Out of Turn

(1) A batter shall be called out, on appeal, when he fails to bat in his proper turn, and another batter completes a time at bat in his place.

(2) The proper batter may take his place in the batter’s box at any time before the improper batter becomes a runner or is put out, and any balls and strikes shall be counted in the proper batter’s time at bat.

(3) When an improper batter becomes a runner or is put out, and the defensive team appeals to the umpire before the first pitch to the next batter of either team, or before any play or attempted play, the umpire shall (1) declare the proper batter out; and (2) nullify any advance or score made because of a ball batted by the improper batter or because of the improper batter’s advance to first base on a hit, an error, a base on balls, a hit batter or otherwise.

(4) If a runner advances, while the improper batter is at bat, on a stolen base, balk, wild pitch or passed ball, such advance is legal.

(5) When an improper batter becomes a runner or is put out, and a pitch is made to the next batter of either team before an appeal is made, the improper batter thereby becomes the proper batter, and the results of his time at bat become legal.

(6) When the proper batter is called out because he has failed to bat in turn, the next batter shall be the batter whose name follows that of the proper batter thus called out.

(7) When an improper batter becomes a proper batter because no appeal is made before the next pitch, the next batter shall be the batter whose name follows that of such legalized improper batter. The instant an improper batter’s actions are legalized, the batting order picks up with the name following that of the legalized improper batter.

Rule 6.03(b)(7) Comment: The umpire shall not direct the attention of any person to the presence in the batter’s box of an improper batter. This rule is designed to require constant vigilance by the players and managers of both teams.

There are two fundamentals to keep in mind: When a player bats out of turn, the proper batter is the player called out. If an improper batter bats and reaches base or is out and no appeal is made before a pitch to the next batter, or before any play or attempted play, that improper batter is considered to have batted in proper turn and establishes the order that is to follow.

Steve

Your bolded #5 answers it.

Thanks Steve!

• Options
    edited May 11, 2018 7:54PM

Just when I was about to send my 1969 autographed World Series ball free of charge to SteveK and write off the season, the baseball gods provided the perfect antidote for our long-suffering fans: a series against the Phillies!