Home Sports Talk
Options

Is it safe for MLB players to play when the temp. is close to freezing??

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

With the length of the season and the playoffs it is unavoidable, but is it safe?? It seems cramps and arm injuries are inevitable. Several years ago a game in Cleveland was cancelled and rescheduled in Minnesota(I think) because of snow. They routinely have games in the spring where the temp. is in the mid-high 30's and the game yesterday started at a balmy 32 degrees!!!

Is it any wonder that against KC the scores over the weekend were 3-2, 1-0 and 3-1???

What was really silly was the Home Plate Umpire strictly enforcing the new between innings time limit on Saturday with Trevor Bauer at the start of an inning. Bauer promptly gave up an HR on the first pitch for the game's only run.

The playoffs up North tend to be played when things are cold, also, the difference being that the players have had six months of playing time so they are better able to avoid things that happen early in the season. Cleveland has just had their first player go down and I suspect the cold weather as a factor.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's got to be more safe than playing football when the temps are below freezing.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Tigers have already played in three 1-0 games this year in the frozen tundra

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

It's got to be more safe than playing football when the temps are below freezing.

I would disagree.

Football players are by nature in much better shape and they are typically in constant motion, at least to a much higher degree than MLB players. some outfielders do nothing all game, maybe they strike out or fly out a few times, and might not field anything for 5-6 innings. then all of a sudden they have to sprint 60-70 feet and jump outstretched to crash into a fence!! before that the only exercise they had for 1-2 hours was running back and forth to the dugout where they can sit and rest.

• Options

watching Boston vs. New York on ESPN and a MLB injury report scrolled across the bottom of the screen. lots and lots of leg injuries that I can't help but think are tied to the cold weather.

--- Mookie Betts just cleared the bases with a Grand Salami to put Boston up 14-1!!! :)

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

97 in the desert today. heat will always be the bigger threat.

• Options

heat will always be the bigger threat.

not likely. while cramps are possible it isn't very often that we hear of players leaving the game for that reason. the main problem with playing in heat is the need to hydrate. doing so alleviates the probability of cramping. playing at close to freezing affects most every aspect of the game in a negative way. cold muscles just don't respond well, the ball is hard to grab and throw and the cold air tends to cause the ball to not carry well. add to that the probability of having a "handful of bees" at the plate.

logically, the best games are played in the heat of the summer so your reasoning is flawed.

• Options

@keets said:
    heat will always be the bigger threat.

not likely. while cramps are possible it isn't very often that we hear of players leaving the game for that reason. the main problem with playing in heat is the need to hydrate. doing so alleviates the probability of cramping. playing at close to freezing affects most every aspect of the game in a negative way. cold muscles just don't respond well, the ball is hard to grab and throw and the cold air tends to cause the ball to not carry well. add to that the probability of having a "handful of bees" at the plate.

logically, the best games are played in the heat of the summer so your reasoning is flawed.

If Phoenix didn't have a retractable dome you would have a couple heat related deaths a year.

This is not the bread basket and temps reach 120. Learn how to adapt real quick out here or pay dearly.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

I would disagree.

Football players are by nature in much better shape and they are typically in constant motion, at least to a much higher degree than MLB players. some outfielders do nothing all game, maybe they strike out or fly out a few times, and might not field anything for 5-6 innings. then all of a sudden they have to sprint 60-70 feet and jump outstretched to crash into a fence!! before that the only exercise they had for 1-2 hours was running back and forth to the dugout where they can sit and rest.

Football players by nature are in better shape? Larger in sizer, yes, but I would not say in better shape when you compare a lineman with the average baseball player, Pablo Sandoval notwithstanding.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2018 9:43PM

@Coinstartled said:
    97 in the desert today. heat will always be the bigger threat.

This is true. Does anyone remember the Vikings lineman who collapsed and died from heat stroke during practice during the heat? I've never heard of anyone collapsing and dying due to playing in the cold.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

Can't speak for major leaguers but back in my college days played many games as low as the low 40's. It was miserable. My elbow was always sore which is not good for a SS. Arm stopped hurting as the weather warmed.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baseball is way worse than football for cold weather. Somebody once told me there's no place on earth colder than the stands at a high school baseball game in the early spring. They were right. I remember coaching football games in Colorado where we had to plow a foot of snow off the field, with temps in the teens or 20s, and I'd be on the sideline in a short sleeve shirt because I was so warm. Players were the same way. Baseball? Not a chance.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing worse then the sting of a ball off of the handle of a wood bat in Michigan in the month of March. Two a days in the summer for football sucked big time as well. We relished cold days for football.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Nothing worse then the sting of a ball off of the handle of a wood bat in Michigan in the month of March. Two a days in the summer for football sucked big time as well. We relished cold days for football.

m

Distance runner in Michigan. 30-40 degrees was perfect.

• Options

in real life for me, it is easier to get warm when I'm cold than it is for me to stay cool when it's hot. the trick is that when it's cold it is hard to do anything due to what's required to stay warm. the same goes for these MLB players, they have to wear extra clothing which restricts movement and impedes their play.

for me, again, even though the heat is tough(the high 80's and 90's in NE Ohio) it is easier to manage. I either wear a minimum of clothing inside or soak with the hose outside and keep hydrated. I prefer the heat.

what I will agree with is during the summer with the two-a-day NFL and College practice schedule. those are brutal and can be dangerous.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2018 3:52AM

@Justacommeman said:

m

Couldn't agree with ya more because I've done all that - LOL

Funny...at work a few years back I'm quickly chatting with the UPS driver, and we're talking how we both played HS football, and I say how almost every football player hated those two a days in the summer and practice in general...and the UPS driver says words to the effect, not me i liked those two a days and practice. And I say to him, you played middle linebacker didn't you? He says, how did you know that?

LOL

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Distance runner in Michigan. 30-40 degrees was perfect.

I played tennis in Michigan. It freaking snowed during one of our meets.

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

I Think that the Gaterade splash afterwards would be worse especially on a pitcher

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

April baseball in Milwaukee?? Thank goodness for the roof.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    The Tigers have already played in three 1-0 games this year in the frozen tundra

mark

They play baseball at Lambeau Field now?

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars