Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My first so called Pattern pickup arrived today 1792 Quarter Dollar

coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 5, 2018 4:52PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Now that I have the attention of the Pattern guys :#
Yes, I will call it my first "so-called" pattern coin as it is actually a Gallery Mint Museum copy of the 1792 Quarter Dollar Pattern. I just love the way Heritage Describes the real Pattern so I will borrow their words click on the link if you want to see and read the entire description. I also want to give a shout out to a wonderful member here that I purchased this from, he was a true gentleman and made this a great and easy transaction @Coinlearner, thanks again!
Forgot to add....if anyone wants to post some patterns by all means please do
** "The 1792 Eagle-on-Globe quarter dollar patterns exhibit a number of stylistic differences from the other coinage of 1792. The cents, half dismes, and dismes all indicate their denomination, while this coin remains silent with regard to its value. The other 1792 patterns further bear the legend LIBERTY PARENT OF SCIENCE AND INDUSTRY (or its abbreviation), while this piece displays only LIBERTY. The quarter dollar pattern's eagle is markedly different from that of the half disme and disme, which clearly share a common source. The eagle here is a powerful bird exercising dominion over the earth, as opposed to the eagle of the half disme and disme, a scrawny, goose-necked creature (Cornelius Vermeule, in Numismatic Art in America, called it an "ailing barnyard fowl"). The engraver finely rendered the figure of Liberty on the quarter dollar pattern, with the hair gathered in a bun."**
Now, since there aren't enough of them to go around....I think only 4 known examples and they tend to be a little pricey :p
I decided this Gallery Mint Museum piece will do just fine until I feel comfortable dipping my toes in the real waters of Pattern Coinage. Kinda like what I have done with Colonial Coinage, I found it very expensive to put a nice collection together so I pursued the electrotypes and ended of with a very nice little set.
By the way I think this copy was done by Ron Landis, if not someone can correct me. I was quite curious to see just how close
the copy came to the real deal. I forgot to mention this is a Die Trial Piece so the word copy does not appear on the coin, but on the reverse of each splasher does have the work copy on it.
So the images below I have posted, a copper and white metal example of the real deal.
Followed by my image of the Gallery Mint Piece.
Below that is an overlay of the Gallery Mint on top of the real copper piece. They are quite exact. I slid my image over
slightly so you do not get lost while viewing both on top of each other.
The very last image is the 2 pieces sitting side by side, you can see one is larger than the other as they really hammered the reverse......lol so it spread out more.
I hope you enjoy looking as much as I enjoy learning.
The real McCoys'

The Gallery Mint Die Trials

An overlay of the gallery mint piece over the real pattern, just right click and open in another window for big pic

Image of the splashers side by side, they are quite beefy

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file