Porcelain Notgeld Weimar Republic Coins

Just picked these up today. Not very familiar with such coins but they are very nice and interesting. I guess you get porcelain coins when you have run away inflation. Is there a collector base for such coins?

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website

Comments

• PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭

Pretty!

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Prodcuts & Collections
  • STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭

Since there's no denomination, can I assume that these are actually medals? My understanding is that the porcelain pieces - whether carrying a denomination or not - didn't circulate but generally were sold to collectors as fund raisers. In any case very nice examples that used to have a reasonable following; can't speak to how popular they are at present.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 15,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting items but also a good example of an area in which I have absolutely no feel for the market. Is there a collector base for these in Germany?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭

Cool !!! B)

Timbuk3
  • jdmernjdmern Posts: 57 ✭✭

All of the pieces shown are technically Porcelain medals, not Notgeld, of the Weimar period. However, there is a huge overlap in the collectors of these and the collectors of Notgeld. There is a good market for these, but most of the pieces shown are not particularly scarce types. For instance, the 1922 piece with the woman with outstretched arms among crosses is a type honoring the German war dead of WWI. This type will usually sell for between $10-$15,

• WindycityWindycity Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭

Thanks for information. Very helpful.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭✭

The only ones made nominally to circulate were in Saxony - but they quickly lost value and never really circulated.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016
  • jdmernjdmern Posts: 57 ✭✭

There are actually many other porcelain pieces nominally made to circulate (Freiburg, Altenberg, Boldixum, ect.), but like the Saxony pieces, actual circulation was limited or non existent

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭

Aren't pieces with engraved #'s like the one with 14902 some sort of lottery token?

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭

I’ve always wondered why I have never seen circulated examples.

• JBKJBK Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2018 5:19PM

They are nice, I have a few, but not all ceramic pieces were notgeld. As was mentioned, some were lottery "tickets", presumably for some sort of fundraiser.