Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Are these cards newly graded, or reholders?

4 Sharp Corners has recently listed a bunch of cards with certs starting with 40 (example below). They all have the PSA hologram (but not lighthouse). To make matters more confusing, they also have a bunch of newly graded cards starting with 28 that do not have the lighthouse either.

I’m assuming these 40 cards are reholders, since the 40 series was used years ago, but could they be new?

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2018 6:50PM

Reholder, or bumped on review.

Flip is new, cert is not.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've brought up the question about seeing newer certs, which I believe the lighthouse switchover started in the 272XXXXX serial numbers, but are in the older hologram holders. And I'm not talking about borderline certs, I'm talking about obvious ones like in the 280XXXXX. My guess is those are from bulk dealers. Personally, I choose not to buy them. Ive even asked PSA over the phone and after sending them a photo to their email and then speaking with a supervisor, they had no idea why this was being done either.

To answer your other question, which was answered above me, yes that was a reholder during the holo flip generation.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just saw another big group of cards of all different genres for sale from the same eBay seller. All lighthouse, all starting with 40. These seem newly graded.

• Options
    edited May 4, 2018 10:28PM

I haven't seen any variance from sequential cert #s so I would guess reholders, though I don't see why anyone would bother spending money to reholder cards like those. Unless they were graded at a show, as I vaguely recall that was one exception a while back.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Tecmo BoilTecmo Boil Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2018 4:09AM

Hi guys. This topic touches on a broader topic that I would like to understand better.

Is there a thread that explains the history of cert numbers, and what each type of number (ex 27xxxxxx, 40xxxxxx, etc) likely represents?

Thanks!!!!!

• Options

Just contacted the dealer who had these up and asked if he knew why he got these cert numbers. His reply:

“no idea at all regarding serial #s...i can tell you that i just got them back four days ago.”

So they are new grades.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

What makes you think they're new grades?

Arthur

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

I thought it was a known fact that you could not tell the era that a card was graded by it's cert #'s?

I seem to remember the "grader of death" with certs that started "313", and that was many years ago.

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

Because the dealer who’s selling them just told me they are.

• Options
    edited May 5, 2018 8:39AM

@detroitfan2 said:
    I thought it was a known fact that you could not tell the era that a card was graded by it's cert #'s?

I seem to remember the "grader of death" with certs that started "313", and that was many years ago.

PSA has been utilizing sequential cert #s starting back to (IIRC) 120XXX. Prior to that, cert #s jumped arund quite a bit. I have graded cards beginning with certs #s 904XXX and 073XXX.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

Did he say he just got them back as new grades? He could have just gotten them back as reholders.

Arthur

• Options

@grote15 said:

@detroitfan2 said:

PSA has been utilizing sequential cert #s starting back to (IIRC) 120XXX. Prior to that, cert #s jumped arund quite a bit. I have graded cards beginning with certs #s 904XXX and 073XXX.

I’m wondering if this jump is in anticipation of running out of unused sequential certs when they hit the 30000000 mark.

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:

@PaulMaul said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

Did he say he just got them back as new grades? He could have just gotten them back as reholders.

Arthur

I will double check with him one more time to make sure, but there is no way he reholdered all these. I know him and he wouldn’t bother. He also would have mentioned it if that was the case since I was asking him about the certs.

• Options

Arthur

“Mike,

Could you just verify that all these cards you just got back with cert
    numbers starting with 40 are newly graded cards and not previously
    graded cards that were re-holdered?

Thanks!”

Response:

“yup; that is correct...i don't believe i have ever had a card reholdered in my life!”

• Options

Hmm... odd. I'm at a loss, sorry.

Arthur

• Options

yea I just got cards back from a march sub that were issued 290XXXXX. however I have seen some other freshly graded cards on Ebay come back with 30/31 and 40. they are all new graded subs. I have no idea what they are doing with these certs or how they are choosing to assign them. but I do agree those cards listed are fresh graded subs.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@dictoresno said:
    yea I just got cards back from a march sub that were issued 290XXXXX. however I have seen some other freshly graded cards on Ebay come back with 30/31 and 40. they are all new graded subs. I have no idea what they are doing with these certs or how they are choosing to assign them. but I do agree those cards listed are fresh graded subs.

I have a card with a 316xxxxx serial number so they must have ran into the used serial numbers and jumped to the 40’s.

• Options

@rcmb3220 said:

@dictoresno said:

I have a card with a 316xxxxx serial number so they must have ran into the used serial numbers and jumped to the 40’s.

The confusion is that before a certain point cert numbers in different ranges were used. There are old grades starting with 30, 31, 40, 81, 90, etc. Yet the majority of possible cert numbers in these ranges were never used. I assume they are going to fill in those ranges now, but how they are going about that is not clear.

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

What about contacting PSA to find out? Or is that top secret information?

Jim

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2018 6:51AM

@Gemyanks10 said:
    What about contacting PSA to find out? Or is that top secret information?

Jim

I called PSA not long ago to ask why they were issuing old holo slabs to newly graded cards well after their lighthouse changeover (mostly noted for bulk sellers) and they were just as confused and had no idea. why continue to print old label slabs when newer ones have been out since like June. and to this day, they continue to do it. even with recent 290XXXXX cert numbers. the pic of the Lanier in the first post is an example of what im talking about.

myslabs.to/smzcards