Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Cobb/Hornsby/Speaker/Wagner/Young Auto's - - Keep frames or slab?? / UPDATED AFTER PSA REVIEW

balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gents....Had shared before my Dad's cut off 52-54 Topps cards and his gift to me. He also sent me these beauties. The Index card auto's he got as a kid and about 10 years ago cut them down to make these photos. Love the photos but asking opinions whether to keep as is, or remove the cut sig's and have them slabbed. Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.,
Steve

Comments

• Options
    rounding3rdrounding3rd Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

slabbed

Working on Baseball HOF Autograph Set Registry
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would get them slabbed and maybe consider a custom frame made to hold the slab and the pictures.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slabbed

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 807 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe a stupid question... Does slabbed = authenticated (and graded)? Or are you considering the option to just slab via their “custom encapsulation”? I’ve got some old autographs that I want to authenticate but I dread the false-negative results that may come... Given the cost of authenticating those names, you’d be out some significant cash if rejected.

Jim

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ones that are already framed as pic/cut sig look really nice.

I would be tempted to finish the job and have the others done the same way.

Unless you plan on selling? You know they're real since the provenance is your dad.

You can save a load of dough by just displaying them.

If/when you plan to sell? Then you can have them authenticated for easy sale.

Mike
  • Options

I was thinking to encapsulate as a way to preserve and authenticate (even though providence is not issue for me), as Stone says, will help down the road if I want to sell. Will leave Tris as is since its a photo.

Not an inexpensive proposition but will probably bite the bullet.

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 807 ✭✭✭✭

Good idea. I like JBrules idea to find a way to mount the slab with the photo.

Jim

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBrules said:
    I would get them slabbed and maybe consider a custom frame made to hold the slab and the pictures.

I think this is a terrific idea. Slab and frame with the original photos if possible.

Nice autos by the way. Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

I got the Wagner and Hornsby authenticated and slabbed at the NJ drop off day yesterday. Very happy how they came out. I didn’t enjoy breaking apart the picture display, just decided over long term having them in a holder is best idea.

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

Getting the cuts that weren't custom framed was a good idea.
    The rest, if it were me, I would only do if you want uniformity or, more importantly, if it is unlikely that these would continue to be passed on within the family.
    Very cool stuff.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2019 10:01AM

Really nice.

Plan on selling?

Mike
  • Options

Thanks guys.

Mike no plans to sell. Too significant to the family. You get 500-1000 and then what? You have lost the heirloom. I do like having these 2 in slabs and may eventually do the others...

• Options

Back from PSA. Happy with the results. !!

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

Nice! Glad to see you decided not to sell them. Like you said, you might get enough for a nice vacation but you can do that with the money you normally make. This sort of thing can never be replaced.

It always makes me sick to the stomach watching shows like Pawn Stars and seeing foolish people inherit something rather special and unique from their family only to accept a lowball offer so they can use the money for some ridiculous reason.