Home Sports Talk
Options

"A loss so embarrassing even the Umpires rip the Phillies"...

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jim Salisbury, NBC Sports Philadelphia__

ATLANTA — Gabe Kapler’s first series as Phillies manager … uh, not good.
As if Thursday’s opening day loss in which Kapler quick-hooked Aaron Nola only to see the bullpen blow a five-run lead didn't make your eyes burn enough, check out the embarrassment that unfolded under the big top Saturday night.
The Phillies suffered a 15-2 loss to the Atlanta Braves. They made four errors and had two wild pitches. They used a position player on the mound. And, after the game, they were publicly chastised by a major league umpire.
“Whoever is at fault for not doing their job on the Phillies side should have to answer to Major League Baseball,” crew chief Jerry Layne said.
Whoa.
Layne was referring to the events that led up to reliever Hoby Milner being summoned into the game in the third inning without throwing a legitimate warm-up pitch. Kapler went to the mound to take out Vince Velasquez. He waved Milner in. But Milner never got the word he was going into the game.
Milner scurried to the bullpen mound and tried to squeeze in a few tosses, but the delay rankled the Braves. Their manager, Brian Snitker, was ejected. He thought Milner should not have been allowed any warm-up pitches once he entered the game. Layne allowed him five because he said he didn’t want Milner to get hurt.
Kapler, who often describes himself as a “relentless communicator,” took the blame for the communication breakdown between the dugout and the bullpen that left him waving for a reliever who still had his warm-up jacket on.
“Any time we have a miscommunication it's my responsibility so I take full responsibility for it,” Kapler said.
He would not go into specifics about the breakdown.
“I’m taking accountability for it,” he said. “It’s an indication that I need to do a better job and I will. One of the things that I pride myself on is being an excellent communicator and doing so relentlessly. I will continue to strive for excellence in that regard. Miscommunications are simply unacceptable no matter where they occur.”
Milner, a likable, 27-year-old Texan who had the difficult task of being called upon to face dangerous Freddie Freeman three times in the series, got caught in the middle of it all.
“It was just a miscommunication between the pitching coach and the bullpen coach,” he said. “It was just a miscommunication on the phone, I guess.”
Kapler said Milner warmed up earlier in the game. Milner said he did not. Upon learning that Kapler wanted him in the game, Milner made a few throws before angry third base umpire Greg Gibson demanded he come in the game.
“By the time Freeman stepped in the box, I was good,” Milner said.
By MLB rule, the clubhouse is supposed to open to reporters 10 minutes after the final out. The Phillies clubhouse did not open until 19 minutes after the game and Kapler seemed a little shellshocked when he met reporters.
He was asked how he thought his first series would be viewed.
“I’m remaining 100 percent positive,” he said. “I believe in this club. I believe in the men in this clubhouse. I believe in our coaching staff and there’s no chance I’m going to let three games, two of them tough, derail what we're trying to do and that’s get to the postseason in 2018, which I believe we will do.”

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

SteveK will have an obvious explanation for all this..,I hear he may also be considering legal action, on behalf of all Philadelphia fans, for undue pain and suffering.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've read where Connie Mack got off to a slow start as manager.

Phillies will win 2 outa 3 from the Mets in the upcoming series, and all will be forgiven.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Phillies will win 2 outa 3 from the Mets in the upcoming series, and all will be forgiven.
    I seriously doubt that'll happen. And, what, pray tell will happen if the Mets sweep??? :'(:'(

As for Connie Mack, pls, stay in reality. Kapler, even by a local sports writer (see above), clearly think he's seriously shot himself in the foot. Anymore boneheaded moves like this and you'll quickly be seeing a new manager. Geez, doesn't he talk to his bench coaches, or communicate with anyone...just willy, nilly walk out and yank somebody without realizing nobody has been up in the bullpen?

Hey, if your team stinks, it stinks! Just because you are a Philly fan, won't make anything get better by magic. I've been a Red Sox fan since FOREVER, and when they play poorly, I hammer them. These guys are paid a serious fortune for playing a kid's game for a mere 6 months a year. Pretty good gig I'd say. All Kapler has to do is not be stupid, but he's already crossed that line...methinks his days may well be numbered.

• Options

Perhaps this may happen to Kapler:

https://youtu.be/pOdnVLDyJDo

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭

Like I mentioned before a few years back, remember how we were supposed to feel sorry for the Cubs who hadn't won a World Series since 1908? Well it took the Phillies 97 years just to win their first World Series title (and only two NL titles before that...with the 1950 one nearly ending in a disastrous collapse like they had in 1964))

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Hey, if your team stinks, it stinks! Just because you are a Philly fan, won't make anything get better by magic. I've been a Red Sox fan since FOREVER, and when they play poorly, I hammer them. These guys are paid a serious fortune for playing a kid's game for a mere 6 months a year. Pretty good gig I'd say. All Kapler has to do is not be stupid, but he's already crossed that line...methinks his days may well be numbered.

You mean they still stink even after using Life Buoy soap? :)

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

@Estil said:
    Like I mentioned before a few years back, remember how we were supposed to feel sorry for the Cubs who hadn't won a World Series since 1908? Well it took the Phillies 97 years just to win their first World Series title (and only two NL titles before that...with the 1950 one nearly ending in a disastrous collapse like they had in 1964))

Well, let's look at the percentages. There are 30 MLB teams. That of course means all things being equal, a team should win the World Series only once every 30 years. And with 15 teams in each league, be in the World Series only once every 15 years. So it's not an easy task to do.

The Phillies since 1980, have won 2 World Series, while being in 5. Over a 37 year period, that's not too shabby.

BTW, you basically equating the 1950 team and the 1964 team is just plain silly. Because the 1950 Phillies WON the NL pennant.

Then the Phillies as heavy underdogs, in the first 3 games of that WS, lost by only one run in each game, and lost by three runs in the final game. Philly fans to this day love that team, and it's a valid love - that team played their hearts out, just falling short to a vastly superior team.