Home Sports Talk

What's Up with Gabe Kapler?

PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

Making some rookie mistakes. Can a manager be sent down to the minors?

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dunno know but I loved him on Welcome Back Kotter

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

mark

I would have clicked the LOL button, if he wasn't the Phillies manager.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty bizarre for a MLB manager. He appeared clueless when he went to take out the pitcher, when there wasn't a reliever already warmed up in the bullpen. Moreover, the umpires lost touch with the incident by allowing such a long mound visit and what appeared to me to be excessive warm up throws on the mound by the new pitcher. Of course the Braves manager, who IMO rightly complained, allowed the pitcher to continue to throw. I think there must surely have been a rule violation here, but I'm not aware of the specific rule...looked like Kapler was just gonna hope for the best after the big bulb came on that he made a colossal screw up. How can you not know there isn't anybody warming up before you head to the mound??

I'll bet Kapler isn't having a Happy Easter and probably got a HOT call from the team owner. His days may well be numbered. This was a huge embarrassment for MLB and the Phillies. If I heard correctly, the announcers said Kapler had made 21 pitching changes in the first 3 games of the season.

Oh yeah...Kapler predicts the Phillies will make the playoffs...not gonna happen with him as the manager.

When the Phillies take 2 outa 3 from the Mets in the upcoming series, all will be forgiven.

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

Off topic: He's on the list of famous alumni of Taft High (Los Angeles) along with Robin Yount and Ice Cube among others.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps they should resign Ryan Howard..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Now there's a blast from the past!

@stevek said:
    When the Phillies take 2 outa 3 from the Mets in the upcoming series, all will be forgiven.

That's not setting the bar very high...is it. ;)

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

You're right. With the way the Phillies have played the past few seasons, i don't have the stones, even with smack to say Phillies will sweep the Mets. :/

However, if Arrieta can come in and have a great season, I think the Phillies may have a fightin' chance for the playoffs. If he doesn't, then it could be hopeless for this year.

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

You're right. With the way the Phillies have played the past few seasons, i don't have the stones, even with smack to say Phillies will sweep the Mets. :/

However, if Arrieta can come in and have a great season, I think the Phillies may have a fightin' chance for the playoffs. If he doesn't, then it could be hopeless for this year.

Oh My........setting your hopes on an ex-CUB! ;)B)

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

His laws of planetary motion are enduring.

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

Oh My........setting your hopes on an ex-CUB! ;)B)

I don't disagree with ya. :|

In my opinion, signing a pitcher like Arrieta to a huge contract is better suited to take a team that's close and get them over the hump, rather than trying to lift up a young team struggling at the bottom. But at least the Phillies are trying. We shall see how it all plays out.

• ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Good poker player also.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

I hear Joe Girardi is available...clearly more talented than Kapler.

Let's see how Kapler does in this three game stretch with the Mets.

i'm not ready to press the panic button yet.

Mets got lucky tonight.

NO, Kapler got a lucky snowstorm.

• Didn’t he suggest that players should get their balls tanned? :D

What now Stevek?

@MCMLVTopps said:

What now Stevek?

I'm happy the Phillies didn't go winless for the season. The worst they can do is 1-161

@MCMLVTopps said:

What now Stevek?

That must be the new math we've all been hearing about, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Kind of early to be talking smack....isn't it. ;)

@DIMEMAN said:

Go watch some soccer, will ya. LOL..

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Go watch some soccer, will ya. LOL..

Tim you just made me tinkle

The Phillies are the youngest team in MLB, so there is room for growth. The question is...will it be positive growth or malignant growth?

Many who don't understand the game usually look at a MLB manager as just a meaningless figurehead, filing out the lineup card and making a few changes during the game that any 5th grader could figure out. Those who know the game, understand that a MLB manager is considerably more than that. His personality and knowledge can have a marked influence on the players and motivate them in various ways to become better ballplayers, if not the best they can be, over the course of a long season.

Whatever Kapler is doing now, it's obviously not good enough. He of course knows that. The question is whether or not he's got the personality and skill to do what it takes to motivate this team.

Perhaps the Phillies player talent just isn't good enough no matter how good is the manager? If that's the case, then there are going to be a lot of empty seats at the Phillies ballpark this season.

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kapler has made some real bonehead moves, but I think he works through it and does fine. He'll learn from it and get better. The Phillies have a real nice core of young players. Herrera and Hoskins are both legit outfielders, and Altherr and Williams both show promise. They have a real nice young infield of Franco, Crawford, Kingery, and Hernandez. Santana is a great veteran player. Alfaro looks legit at catcher. And the pitching has a few nice pieces in Arrieta, Nola, Neris and Neshek. I really like this Phillies team and I think they'll be just fine. May be another year or 2 til they make the playoffs though.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)

<<< The Phillies have a real nice core of young players. >>>

I agree with ya!

• dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

Are the Phillies fans still booing Kapler?

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball

@dennis07 said:
    Are the Phillies fans still booing Kapler?

Well, Kapler is heavily into computer analysis with his management style. Nothing wrong with using stats and such to help make a decision, but sometimes though, one can suffer from paralysis by analysis. I think with baseball, sometimes ya have to go with your gut instinct and experience to make the right moves to win ballgames.

in any event, I'm rooting for the guy to succeed. Whether he will or not is anyone's guess at this point. However he is a highly intelligent guy, so hopefully he will learn fast and learn to make the right moves.

The Phillies have been playing decent baseball as of late, so I think whatever boos Kapler has gotten should subside a bit.