Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Is this 1934 Goudey Lefty Grove too short?

BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just picked up a nice 1934 Goudey Lefty Grove. When I received it, I noticed it was swimming in the PSA holder. I pulled out the only other '34 Goudey I have and that card fits snugly in the holder. I have them scanned here for reference. Can there normally that much of a size difference in this issue? Besides being way shorter by height, the Grove is also shorter in width.

Daniel

Comments

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bump for the evening crowd...

Daniel
  • SmithAuctionCoSmithAuctionCo Posts: 160 ✭✭✭

Goudeys are well known for having size variances straight from the factory.

I’ve handled thousands of graded examples and the sizes are all over the place. It’s a toss up depending on who is grading them if whether or not they get a grade or deemed Min Size or Trimmed.

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SmithAuctionCo said:
    Goudeys are well known for having size variances straight from the factory.

I’ve handled thousands of graded examples and the sizes are all over the place. It’s a toss up depending on who is grading them if whether or not they get a grade or deemed Min Size or Trimmed.

Agreed. When I have multiple cards from a set with slight but tolerable factory size variance, I prefer to break them up in separate subs such that all the ones in a single sub are of equivalent size. Not sure it is necessary since I'd assume PSA should have the knowledge to accept certain size variances on vintage pre-war items since it was a factory issuance condition, but regardless, it's the route I take. When I get something returned Min-Size that I know to be within factory tolerance despite size variance, I just resub until it comes back graded.

• PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

Regular size or a little short I love that set. Nice looking cards.

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the info, guys. I looked at a bunch of '34 Goudey's on eBay and did see size variations, not to the extreme of this Grove card, though.

Daniel