Home Sports Talk
Options

Le Grand Orange dead at 73

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 29, 2018 5:21PM in Sports Talk

Loved watching him hit in Detroit at Tiger Stadium

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Loved him on the Mets, both stints during the 70s and again towards the end of his career in the 80s, when he evolved into one of the game's best pinch hitters.

Only player to compile at least 500 hits with 4 different teams.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember Rusty Staub very well. Never heard him called this. Sorry to hear about his passing.

• Options

Quick trivia. No Googling. The 1976 Tigers were pretty awful. However, they had three starters on the AL All-Star Team. Name them.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Staub, LeFlore and Fidrych.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Quick trivia. No Googling. The 1976 Tigers were pretty awful. However, they had three starters on the AL All-Star Team. Name them.

mark

I think the Bird, Mark Fidrych was on that team, not sure.

• Options

That is correct. Grich and Harrah two of my favorites ( under rated) also started that year.

m

• Options

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

And played in Philly ; )

m

• Options

Smart, solid ballplayer, and an excellent hitter.

73? Too young. Very sad. :(

RIP

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

And played in Philly ; )

m

I only remember him because he got a lot of publicity because of his various bodily antics...nothing bad or anything.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    I remember Rusty Staub very well. Never heard him called this. Sorry to hear about his passing.

<<< Never heard him called this. >>>

I didn't recall that either, but maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention at that time.

• Options
    edited March 29, 2018 7:58PM

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I didn't recall that either, but maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention at that time.

When he broke in with the Expo’s that was his nickname. You were probably too busy honing your battery tossing skills to notice : )

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Oh, for some reason by "starters" I thought you meant "starting pitchers" who were on the All Star team.

Nice to see that Staub was one of them...I would have never guessed it. Good trivia question.

• Options

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Oh, for some reason by "starters" I thought you meant "starting pitchers" who were on the All Star team.

Nice to see that Staub was one of them...I would have never guessed it. Good trivia question.

Oh, Grote15's guess was incorrect. First time I've ever seen Tim wrong on a trivia question...I'm not kidding. Tim could have posted Ty Cobb and I might have believed it - LOL

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Don't recall the nickname either and I was in Detroit. He was a class guy and great player.

• Options
    edited March 29, 2018 6:56PM

@stevek said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Oh, Grote15's guess was incorrect. First time I've ever seen Tim wrong on a trivia question...I'm not kidding. Tim could have posted Ty Cobb and I might have believed it - LOL

Tim was indeed correct. Staub, Leflore and The Bird

m

• Options
    edited March 29, 2018 7:02PM

From MLive (Michigan publication)

Affectionately dubbed "Le Grand Orange," Staub was a six-time All-Star and the only player in major league history to have at least 500 hits with four teams. Popular with fans and teammates all over the United States and Canada, he was most adored in New York and Montreal.

I’m sure the Tigers are scrambling to put together a tribute tomorrow for opening day

m

• Options

@stevek said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Go back to sleep, SteveK, lol..

• Options

I remembered the Tiger All Stars in part because I love the 77 Topps baseball set~the All Star banners on those cards for the starters were especially eye catching.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Tim was indeed correct. Staub, Leflore and The Bird

m

Oh, i thought you said..."That is correct. Grich and Harrah two of my favorites ( under rated) also started that year."..but I see now you were responding to Grote15, not me.

This is becoming like a Monty Python skit. ;)

• Options

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Go back to sleep, SteveK, lol..

Yea...but you still don't know chit about football. ;)

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ron Leflore...damn that guy was fast.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Ron Leflore...damn that guy was fast.

Prison yard fast. When you were a Tigers Fan when Leflore was on base or Kirk Gibson was at bat it was must see TV

m

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭

Just got back from the Tigers opening day remake. They did have a brief pregame and a moment of silence, but no highlights reels or anything similar.

Some guys don’t get 500 hits (or even at-bats) in their MLB careers, Rusty did it 4x with different teams. Amazing stat.

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭

Le Grande Orange was given to him by the Montreal fans. Apparently he took the time to learn French while he was there and that helped him become a fan favorite.