Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1993 Finest Refractors

Two things...

I know these were limited and like one per case or something, but does anyone know what the alleged print run is?

Secondly, these don't actually say "refractor" anywhere on the card, right? I understand how they look different, just making sure this is correct and they don't say it like they do on more modern refractors.

Thanks

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

Comments

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reported print run was 241 refractors for each card numbered 1-199.

They do not say refractor on them.

4,000 cases X 12 boxes/case divided by 199 cards = 241 per card

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Assuming baseball, 241 each.

Correct, no refractor notation on the card

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have heard rumor that some refractors were short printed. I have not seen anything concrete about this though. Werent they seeded about one refractor per box?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

Isn't there someone on this board that treats these refractors like the Hunt brothers treated silver?
    He would know all there is to know.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I have heard rumor that some refractors were short printed. I have not seen anything concrete about this though. Werent they seeded about one refractor per box?

Love the avatar Craig. My kids have been loving the Ernest movies as of late!

• Options

@NGS428 said:

@craig44 said:

Love the avatar Craig. My kids have been loving the Ernest movies as of late!

Yes, Ernest goes to camp! Up here in Maine, Jim Varney was a home grown talent. He did milk commercials before he made it to the movies.

• Options

@georgebailey2 said:
    Isn't there someone on this board that treats these refractors like the Hunt brothers treated silver?

There are hoarders of 93 finest. Andre Dawson was a famous one from when they first came out. The story has it that he tried to purchase all of them back in the 90's. we know he didnt, but I wonder how many he accumulated?

• Options

I know I probably over-analyze things too much, but this is what I can't figure out. 241 made, and I don't doubt that - I see that is the number everyone quotes. But right now on ebay, I think there are 5 or 6 Puckett's available. That's more than 2% of the print run and those cards are 25-years old. I would have thought all of those cards would be in a fan's collection. I mean, 241 is pretty low number for a card that was issued in the height of card collecting and Puckett was pretty popular. Like I said, I am probably over-analyzing this, but I wouldn't think you could find these period, especially for a popular player. And the asking prices are 2x to 5x what any price guide shows. This is one I just can't justify buying. I am also afraid of someone passing off the regular one as a refractor. I might pay the Beckett raw price of $150 or the SMR price of $120 for a PSA 8, but its a joke if they expect someone to pay $300 to $1,300.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options

price guides at this point are pretty much a joke in most hobby circles. Beckett is so far off on the actual selling prices on 90's inserts and parallels it is comical. I dont think anyone can know for sure that 241 is the exact number as they were not numbered, but that is the number i remember hearing back in 93. as for many Pucketts or other stars being offered at one time on ebay, I think you could find that phenomenon with many "rare" cards. the star players will be offered more as they are in higher demand that a common player and therefore more heavily traded. I am sure there are not as many duplicates offered on ebay of the common players.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@georgebailey2

Yes there is. I remember he had like half of the Randy Myers and thousands of others.

• Options

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:
    I know I probably over-analyze things too much, but this is what I can't figure out. 241 made, and I don't doubt that - I see that is the number everyone quotes. But right now on ebay, I think there are 5 or 6 Puckett's available. That's more than 2% of the print run and those cards are 25-years old. I would have thought all of those cards would be in a fan's collection. I mean, 241 is pretty low number for a card that was issued in the height of card collecting and Puckett was pretty popular. Like I said, I am probably over-analyzing this, but I wouldn't think you could find these period, especially for a popular player. And the asking prices are 2x to 5x what any price guide shows. This is one I just can't justify buying. I am also afraid of someone passing off the regular one as a refractor. I might pay the Beckett raw price of $150 or the SMR price of $120 for a PSA 8, but its a joke if they expect someone to pay $300 to $1,300.

Most of what you see on eBay are museum pieces, people have no intention of selling unless you pay them something ridiculous. The Larkin examples for the most part have been available from the same sellers for 3-4 years at least w/ a PSA 9 priced at what a 10 would go for and a 10 at 4x+ what it should go for.

I would wait for one to come up for auction, looks like a couple sold late last year in PSA 8 for $93-120: https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices/baseball-cards/1993-finest/kirby-puckett/values/336205

• Options

Thanks, LarkinCollector! I was just about to ask "Can anyone point me to data that shows these have ever sold at those prices?". That's exactly what I was looking for. I'm not up on how to access that or the ebay verified sales data people refer to here.

I realize people put stuff up on ebay at prices they don't expect to get and see what happens, its just frustrating to see those types of prices and not know if they would actually take something reasonable, if its a scam or what the deal is. I'm not going to contact a seller with $1,000 on one and ask if they'll take $200. There is one PSA 9 Puckett available right now that the guy will take around $275. I think I'll wait for an 8 as $200 or less is where I am looking.

• Options

I recommend bookmarking these two links:

https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices/ (shows most PSA sales of a card, doesn't go as far back as VCP, but is more comprehensive on cards covered and you can't beat the price)

http://www.watchcount.com/ (copy the eBay item # from listings where you see Best Offer was accepted, paste in 'Keywords' on this site, and hit Enter to see what the offer was)

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

@georgebailey2 said:

Yes, it's PhilG. He has shared his list of how many he has of each refractor before. If you did a forum search for his posts, you may be able to find it. His hoard is quite impressive.

• Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭

lol yes was going to say find PhilG, he's like a tenured Harvard professor of 93 refractors

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, I opened a box of 93 basketball and of course it doesn't say refractor on the card but I think I pulled two refractors in a box. Can anyone confirm this from the pictures?? Wish it was a bit easier

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

Looks like Skiles and Webber are refractors.

• Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

Yes, Ernest goes to camp! Up here in Maine, Jim Varney was a home grown talent. He did milk commercials before he made it to the movies.

They filmed that movie not more than 5 miles from my house

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mtcards said:

They filmed that movie not more than 5 miles from my house

Is the golf cart still going on its own? :)

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

PhilG has a HUGE collection of the '93 Refractors. I think
    he is still adding to the collection. He also has a large
    accumulation of "94 Pinnacle Artist Proofs. I had back in
    1998 posted my want list for the last 18 I needed to finish
    my set and he sent me 13 of them no charge. A very kind
    and generous person!!

• Options

I just found the POP report for these(didn't know they had it with the regular series). PSA says they have graded 280 Frank Thomas Refractors. Shouldn't the POP report "parse out" cards that have been submitted multiple times? They also report they graded 239 Mark McGwire Refractors and 225 Sammy Sosa's. A few others around 200 as well. This just doesn't seem right, especially the Thomas(interesting that he would have been the most desirable one when they came out, with Griffey being second, which they claim they have graded 213 graded of them). Anyone offer an explanation as to why they say they have graded more than are supposed to exist?

• Options

Crack out and resubs. If people don't send in the flips, they can't correct the pop report. There are many examples of cards with more listed on the pop report than the print run, even worse when you add Beckett & PSA pops together.