Home Sports Talk

The Corey Widmer Story———sobering

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 27, 2018 8:32PM in Sports Talk
Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know a lot of guys say these players knew the risks going on but the reality is that many including Widmer did not. I'd rather be broke and healthy than suffering from brain damage and rich.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just look at our bodies - we were made for running and throwing. Running after animals to catch them for food, and running away from animals trying to catch us for food - LOL

That's how we evolved. We didn't evolve for constant collisions as the game of football requires.

All that being said, most kids like to act tough and they are going to want to play football. Kids aren't thinking about the ramifications twenty or more years down the line. They like the competition, and hoping their athleticism attracts pretty girls to them, which frankly it does. That's the way it is, and it would be a difficult job for a parent to try to deprive their kids of that pleasure.

I played football grades 7 thru 12, and still feel the effect of it on my left knee from a clip during a game. Damn ref didn't even see it, no penalty.

I wasn't good enough to play college football, especially at Penn State. But if I was good enough, I would have gladly played.

Looking back, frankly, I'm glad that I wasn't good enough, because of stories such as this.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

NFL is a blood sport. So is the NCAA game. At least the pros are paid to get their heads smashed.

Really no good fixes that will protect the essence of the game as well as the health of the athletes.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

I wasn't good enough to play college football, especially at Penn State. But if I was good enough, I would have gladly played.

there is another bonus , no shower time with Sandusky :*

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    NFL is a blood sport. So is the NCAA game. At least the pros are paid to get their heads smashed.

Really no good fixes that will protect the essence of the game as well as the health of the athletes.

And the fans enjoy the big hits...it's entertainment. Similar to the way that Roman fans enjoyed watching gladiators at the Colosseum during the days of old.

At least with today's football players, when they're carried off the field, normally they aren't dead like the gladiators used to be. :|