Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Wow! Junk Wax Sparky

Are these really that tough? Might be time to dig up some grading candidates.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-TOPPS-BASEBALL-193-SPARKY-ANDERSON-TIGERS-PSA-10-GEM-MINT-HOF-SET-BREAK/382413659163

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-TOPPS-BASEBALL-218-SPARKY-ANDERSON-TIGERS-PSA-10-GEM-MINT-HOF-SET-BREAK/382413707618

Not mine and didn't want to out these while they were live, just shocked to see the prices on these two compared to the rest of the HOFers.

Comments

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like two bidders getting after it big time. The same two bidders on both auctions.

• Options
    ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

The seller from both links (same seller) is/was a member here.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

wtf is going on. Are HOF player registry collections going to cause the 80s-90s junk to become worth something?

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

16 psa 10s for each. 10 is the most common grade so it doesn’t look tough at all.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZTarg said:
    The seller from both links (same seller) is/was a member here.

I thought the email address for payment looked familiar.

I checked the Auction Prices Realized and the last PSA 10 of the 89 sold for $5 :o Though a 9 did sell later for $26.

• Options

Dang, I probably have one thousand plus 1985 Fleer, and probably as many 1987 Topps too. Recently tossed the box of 1988 Topps, though.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@rcmb3220 said:
    16 psa 10s for each. 10 is the most common grade so it doesn’t look tough at all.

Awards are near .........

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Condition "Like New"

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still waiting for the '89 Gregg Jefferies to drop below $40 so I can buy them.

I wish I was being facetious.

Arthur

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting to check out the sales of the rest of his Sparky cards; it shows with yet again undeniable proof that value in these mass-produced '80's cards is only when there are 2 people who need it both find it at the same time. Look how the 1984 for example sells for the same general range as those others, but the 1983 is basically free since assuming at least one guy already had it. If both bidders had been looking for those cards at different times, each one could have had theirs for a fraction of the price. No sense in getting into a bidding war on a card that has the population to mean that more will become listed and available soon enough.

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Probably 2 people vying for the top spot in the very prestigious and highly sought after 1989 Topps Detroit Tigers team set registry. The Tigers managed to win 59 games that year, losing only 103 in what was (at the time) the worst season in Tigers' history, which, quite frankly, is saying something.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is odd is that those cards don't seem to have been newly added to anyone's Sparky registry player (MGR) sets. The bidding war only makes sense to me if they were both registry competitors. However, it has not been that long since close of sale so maybe they just haven't gotten around to adding the certs to their sets yet.