Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Tell the story about the coin that you regret not buying.

2»

Comments

• Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Around twenty years ago a co-worker offered me an NGC MS62 Continental Dollar for 11K, too much for that coin in my opinion at that time (!)

Heritage had 3 AU55 chain cents for sale at 32K each, offered to send them to me so I could pick one, and I again thought it was just too much money to spend on one coin

A dealer at the Parsippany show had a gorgeous PCGS MS62 1796 quarter @ 29K, again I said NO.

This was all at a time (1998) when early type had been a dead market for years.

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinRaritiesOnline said:
    It was in 2002 for me.

Oh come on, John. Take a moment please to tell us more, especially from someone who sees a lot of great coins.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck - Is that beard scruff on see on that neck line in your pic? :D

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:
    @Broadstruck - Is that beard scruff on see on that neck line in your pic? :D

Not me as that's a photo of Scotty P. from the movie "We're The Millers" which is a very funny comedy.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

A melted blob of late 1800s nickels said to be from a cash register that was in the 1906 quake and subsequent fire.

It had everything I like about numismatic collectibles— showstopper appeal that makes people pause and go: “Whoa...”

I don’t know whatever happened to it, this was at a coin store in Sunnyvale California 15 years ago.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2018 8:13PM

I was bidding for a 1806 8 real in PCGS gold shield Au 55. I lost the bid because I was not quick enough, I think it sold for around $150 but I don’t remember for certain. So I bid for a bust half dollar and won that coin.

• Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2019 4:01AM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file