Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1950 Inquirer Fightin' Phillies

Going through some old stuff from my Dad (still) and stumbled across a full set of 1950 Inquirer Fightin' Phillies "cards". These are really just handcut newspaper "album" photos of the players - here's an example (the black backer is slightly larger than a letter-sized piece of paper, for size reference):

I was going to toss them since they're straight from the newspaper and not "cards" in the classic sense, but figured I'd look them up just in case. Looks like some are for sale on eBay and there's even a book from 2011 that estimates the price of the set:

PSA pop report only has a single Ashburn that's simply been authenticated. COMC is trying to sell them but I think they must be reprints/copies - the images from the backs are completely bare vs. mine that have portions of other articles on them (including a picture with a caption about tatooing our blood types on us as babies!).

Is there any way to figure out if there's truly any value to these? Other than the Ashburn, which unfortunately has a tear in the upper right corner as seen in the shot above, they're all in shockingly good shape given that they're almost 70 years old. Thanks.

Jim

Comments

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are outstanding!

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Phillies fan should go nuts to have a complete set.

The Ashburn is super.

Thanx for sharing.

I don't have your first name?

Mike
  • Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks Kid and Mike. My name's Jim.

My Dad was a huge Phils fan - we lived on the other side of the state when I grew up so I tend towards the Pirates (unfortunately, these days). It's a nice looking set of pics - probably won't send them into PSA but might see if I can stumble upon a fan with some interest. Thanks!

Jim

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not at all interested in this, but if you put them on Ebay, maybe if I'm in a good mood, I'll bid a few dollars on it. ;)

Seriously, whatever you do...please don't toss them!

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enjoyed seeing these.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    rounding3rdrounding3rd Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

Post here if you decide to put them on Ebay. Some may be interested!

Working on Baseball HOF Autograph Set Registry
  • Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭

Alright, the eBay virgin has posted his first ever item for sale - go easy on me, guys ;)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1950-Inquirer-Fightin-Phillies-cards-Complete-set-in-good-condition-Uncommon/112901709699

Jim