Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

On Case or on Card

Bottom left hand corner shows a clear "mark" of some sort going diagonal from the "K" all the way to the bottom edge of the card. To me, it looks like its on the card. Looks like a "bend" mark. Problem, its in a PSA 9 slab. Its a new slab as well. Anybody think that's not on the card?

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesn't look thick enough for a bend. I'd guess it's a scratch on the case.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

It is either a scuff on the card or on the case, but I do not think a bend. I think it was missed if it was on the card.

• Options

The reason I lean towards it being on the card rather than the case because the mark looks white on the blue stripe but doesn't when it crosses the "T" in outfield. It also gets "wider" as it goes below outfield. There were no other obvious scratches on the case either. But its hard to tell for sure.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options

I tend to doubt a grader would have missed that, unless it's damage that happened during encapsulation. They never seem to miss less obvious surface issues on my subs at least. I would either message the seller and ask for an angled pic to show if it's a holder scratch or move on and find another 9 to your liking. Personally, I would lean toward the latter since I'm not a fan of rough cuts on that issue and the LR centering leaves much to be desired.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:
    I tend to doubt a grader would have missed that, unless it's damage that happened during encapsulation. They never seem to miss less obvious surface issues on my subs at least. I would either message the seller and ask for an angled pic to show if it's a holder scratch or move on and find another 9 to your liking. Personally, I would lean toward the latter since I'm not a fan of rough cuts on that issue and the LR centering leaves much to be desired.

I don't like the rough cut or centering either at that price. Its interesting that its 4SC once again.

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

The only person who can answer your questions is at 4SC. It's either a scratch on the holder or a scratch on the card. If it matters to you then you should ask them.

• Options

Now this is weird. Similar mark in the exact same spot. PSA 10. This was gone from their site for a week or so and now back. Based upon the serial #, it appears to have been in the same submission batch as the Puckett above.

• Options

Maybe it's neither and a scratch on the scanner glass. Or could be a batch of holders that all had a defect that appears as a scratch?

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one is clearly not on the card as it extends past the border of the card.

• Options

Yeh, I see that now on the Gooden. Sure looks like the mark is below the card on the case. If I was interested at those prices, I'd look into it more. Until PaulMaul pointed that out on the Gooden, I had about concluded these got damaged during submission/shipping while in those flimsy Card Saver holders by a stack getting "pinched" somehow. It is possible that there was a batch of cases with a scratch at the same place, just odd.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at the two scans, I'm thinking it's a scratch on their scanner glass. I had one on my old scanner and if I was not careful it ended up on the scan of my cards.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)