Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

eBay bidder ID question

There is an item ending tonight on EBay that I've been thinking about bidding on. In referencing VCP the same card sold in 2016. The winning bidders ID is listed as (an example) n****r. In the bidding history for the item currently one bidder is identified by the same masked ID.

So my question is this: does eBay always use the same masked ID for bidders or does it change from time to time or item to item? It kind of makes me leery of even tossing a bid on it.

Thanks
Kevin

Kevin

Comments

• Options
    tbonewillytbonewilly Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

I think it's the same, never changing as long as your username doesn't change, if you look at VCP for something you might have bought, you can find your "hidden" ebay username code. I know mine never changed over the years, don't remember it off the top

Ken - Volunteered to work in Florida Keys, now freezing in Ohio
    Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball
    Collecting unopened 80's boxes and graded packs
    I may be hoarding too much 80's junk wax but I like it!
  • Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

pretty sure they are random and can change between every few refreshes. ive seen my wife bidding on something on ebay, and her hidden username kept changing. different letters and number of asterisks.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesn't change, but it's certainly not unique, there are many bidders with the same description.

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

The name does not change. The number of feedback will change if you look at the feedback.

• Options
    CSCCSC Posts: 100

@LOTSOS said:
    There is an item ending tonight on EBay that I've been thinking about bidding on. In referencing VCP the same card sold in 2016. The winning bidders ID is listed as (an example) n****r. In the bidding history for the item currently one bidder is identified by the same masked ID.

So my question is this: does eBay always use the same masked ID for bidders or does it change from time to time or item to item? It kind of makes me leery of even tossing a bid on it.

Thanks
    Kevin

Yes, always same masked ID for a specific user.

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks everyone for the info. I bailed on it. I think the current owner drove the price and so I just watched. He didn’t get involved in the end but he did set the table by driving it up a few days ago.

Who knows maybe it wasn’t him or he sold it and wanted it back but either way it wasn’t an important enough card for me to get into it.

Kevin

Kevin