Home Sports Talk
Options

Albert Belle up to his old tricks

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just read that Albert Belle has been arrested for extreme DUI and indecent exposure. I didnt even know extreme DUI was a thing. Apparently if you are over .08 it is considered extreme. Too bad. I saw the mug shot and he looks so different I didnt even recognize him.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

so 2 drinks could get you to .08 but if you have 3 drinks you are extreme DUI ? was he in east mormontown Utah ? :D

• Options

I dont get it either. It happened this weekend at spring training in Arizona. It seems It should either be DUI or not. dont quite understand why there is a scale of "Extremeness" involved.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because people are just too stupid to stay off the road when drunk.

Actually it's in response to the people who complain that they were "barely" over the limit, this allows for harsher penalties for the WAY over the limit people.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not that I wish any harm or ill will on anyone but I’m confused as to why anyone would say “Too Bad” ? Belle was pretty much a dirtbag and probably still is

• Options

I think that our nation should have MUCH harsher DUI laws. As far as I am concerned, there should be no second chances when it comes to this. If someone gets tried and convicted no more drivers license. Forever. Also, there should be much harsher prison terms for those convicted

• Options
    edited March 26, 2018 10:44AM

I guess I feel it is too bad that one can have so much talent and so many resources, still make terrible decisions and be a dirt bag.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I think that our nation should have MUCH harsher DUI laws. As far as I am concerned, there should be no second chances when it comes to this. If someone gets tried and convicted no more drivers license. Forever. Also, there should be much harsher prison terms for those convicted

I don't agree. Unless you are ok with closing any business that serves alcohol that can be driven to. It sounds crazy put that way but lets face it drunk driving laws are not applied evenly to all drivers.

I can drive to the local watering hole in my town and see the same cars parked in the same spaces day after day. I'm not a police officer , but I assume a police officer could see those same cars parked in the same spots too. At closing time the same drunks get in the same cars parked in the same space and drive home and don't get arrested.

If you parked at that bar with an out of state plate you would be pulled over the very first night if you left at closing time and be driven to jail if you failed your sobriety test. That cop would call the towing service owned by his brother in law and some time later you would have to pay 100's of dollars to get your car back. You would then have to pay 1000's in legal costs and maybe go to jail. Every single day that same batch of worthless locals would drive drunk past the same cop and not get pulled over.

No laws are being applied because drinking and driving is bad , which obviously it is. Laws are being applied for profit and very selectively . If the locals all got pinched then someone would probably burn that cops house down so they are all safe. Maybe in your town its different but I doubt it :D

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    so 2 drinks could get you to .08 but if you have 3 drinks you are extreme DUI ? was he in east mormontown Utah ? :D

Extreme DUI in Arizona is over a 0.15. There's 3 levels here with increasing penalties for each: https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona/2015/05/22/arizona-dui-laws/27781089/

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I dont get it either. It happened this weekend at spring training in Arizona. It seems It should either be DUI or not. dont quite understand why there is a scale of "Extremeness" involved.

Between Belle and Uber, I am hiding under the bed.

For the record, .15 is the extreme criteria.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

i bet some of you guys push old ladies out of the way and kick your dogs when you have a bad day. sheesh!!

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you hear that Elizabeth? This is the big one! I'm coming to join you honey!

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@craig44 said:

I don't agree. Unless you are ok with closing any business that serves alcohol that can be driven to. It sounds crazy put that way but lets face it drunk driving laws are not applied evenly to all drivers.

I can drive to the local watering hole in my town and see the same cars parked in the same spaces day after day. I'm not a police officer , but I assume a police officer could see those same cars parked in the same spots too. At closing time the same drunks get in the same cars parked in the same space and drive home and don't get arrested.

If you parked at that bar with an out of state plate you would be pulled over the very first night if you left at closing time and be driven to jail if you failed your sobriety test. That cop would call the towing service owned by his brother in law and some time later you would have to pay 100's of dollars to get your car back. You would then have to pay 1000's in legal costs and maybe go to jail. Every single day that same batch of worthless locals would drive drunk past the same cop and not get pulled over.

No laws are being applied because drinking and driving is bad , which obviously it is. Laws are being applied for profit and very selectively . If the locals all got pinched then someone would probably burn that cops house down so they are all safe. Maybe in your town its different but I doubt it :D

I am perfectly happy closing down bars. If people leaving "watering holes" are over the legal limit, they should permanently loose their licenses. If that makes it a hardship for them getting to work etc. They probably should have made a better decision. I have a relative who is a 6 time offender. Nice guy otherwise, but relative or not, he should never drive again. Maybe stiffer penalties would make a difference here. How about attempted murder for a first offence. I have very little sympathy for those who choose to dui

• Options
    edited March 26, 2018 2:54PM

craig, although I agree with you in principal it is worthy of noting that the AMA started referring to Alcoholism as a disease more than 50 years ago. there are those who dispute this assessment, including pretty much everyone who is currently suffering. Albert Belle can probably be included in the latter group.

here are some interesting statistics I picked off the web:
    alcohol --- In 2014, alcohol-impaired driving fatalities accounted for 9,967 deaths.

firearms --- Gun violence in the United States results in tens of thousands of deaths and injuries annually. ... These deaths consisted of 11,208 homicides, 21,175 suicides, 505 deaths due to accidental or negligent discharge of a firearm, and 281 deaths due to firearms use with "undetermined intent".

tobacco --- Cigarette smoking is estimated to cause the following: More than 480,000 deaths annually (including deaths from secondhand smoke).

I could conclude from those facts that your local Police Department has better things to do than sit outside the local watering hole. they should be busy everywhere locking up those smokers!!! :)

getting back to Albert Belle, he was a fabulous hitter and I had the chance to watch him play for several seasons in Cleveland. some like to believe he was using steroids but nothing was ever proven and he never failed any tests. his explanation, given to a Plain Dealer reporter, "I was just an angry Black Man!" which seems to be bolstered by his behavior as an Indian. he sought treatment but I think he was just dry and absent an effective recovery.

all that aside, the guy could hit and had his certain HOF career cut short by back problems. though he can't be accused of using steroids the same can't be said of cork in his bat. his most interesting escapade --- he was being heckled by a fan down the right field line. he picked up a foul ball during the game, with the guy "riding him" since he was now close to stands. Albert took about 2-3 steps towards him and drilled the jerk right in the chest with a fastball from about 20 feet!!! >:)

• Options

It seems that it would be pretty easy pickings for cops if they did just sit outside bars. Would make the streets a whole lot safer. 1233 kids under 14 were killed by drunk drivers. Far far more than kids killed in school shootings. I have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to dui. It is never a mistake, always a decision. Lock them up for attempted murder and never given a license again. Ever.

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

Albert "Psycho" Belle. Wow. There's a blast from the past. I guess some people really don't change.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would indeed help with traffic. Anyone whoever has had a drink or two and drove anytime in their life probably has driven over the limit. I’m very conscious of it these days. I’m ok with second chances. People make mistakes.

The bigger problem in pot states is people driving high. That’s the new DUI. People don’t know what constitutes high driving. Lots will be in for surprises.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@craig44 said:
    It seems that it would be pretty easy pickings for cops if they did just sit outside bars. Would make the streets a whole lot safer. 1233 kids under 14 were killed by drunk drivers. Far far more than kids killed in school shootings. I have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to dui. It is never a mistake, always a decision. Lock them up for attempted murder and never given a license again. Ever.

One of the officers here in Minnesota used to do just that. He was at first cheered on for his efforts, then he had to stop hanging around bars at closing time, because of a bunch of complaints that he was "profiling" I think.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

In Utah it can tough to get a drink. But the few places that I know of have folks that mark the head lights with a Sharpie in the shape of a cross in the parking lots . Cops then know that the car at least was at a drinking establishment

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    That would indeed help with traffic. Anyone whoever has had a drink or two and drove anytime in their life probably has driven over the limit. I’m very conscious of it these days. I’m ok with second chances. People make mistakes.

The bigger problem in pot states is people driving high. That’s the new DUI. People don’t know what constitutes high driving. Lots will be in for surprises.

m

I don't think DUI is a mistake at all. It is negligence. It is a conscious decision, not a mistake that can have terrible consequences. There is never an excuse for it. Ever. Those who choose to drive impaired leave themselves wide open to huge civil cases in addition to criminal action. They consciously attempt murder every time they do it.
    I don't think people should drive after drinking any amount. In my state you can't even drive and talk on a cell phone.

I agree on the pot issue. Also unacceptable

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

20 years ago I was at a country bar with a pretty young lady. We left at the 1 AM closing and she noticed that a friend who was a cop was in the lot among about 4 or 5 squad cars.

We walked over to say hello. I said to the officer, you must be here to stop the drunks. He replied...all of them are drunk. We're here to break up the fights.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

In a time with Uber, Lyft, taxis, public buses, cell phones to call/text someone, etc. there are no excuses for DUI. If your only option is driving yourself home, just don’t do it. If I ever go out with friends, I make sure we have a sober driver or call an uber. If I don’t have either, I just don’t go or I don’t drink.
    Now onto Belle. Great hitter, probably a hall of famer if he had the attitude and personality of Jim Thome.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2018 10:57PM

@orioles93 said:
    In a time with Uber, Lyft, taxis, public buses, cell phones to call/text someone, etc. there are no excuses for DUI. If your only option is driving yourself home, just don’t do it. If I ever go out with friends, I make sure we have a sober driver or call an uber. If I don’t have either, I just don’t go or I don’t drink.
    Now onto Belle. Great hitter, probably a hall of famer if he had the attitude and personality of Jim Thome.

All this makes more sense when your sober. After one drink a little less so. After another maybe not as much. Young kids are prone to make more mistakes. People slip up. They make poor decisions. Not giving second chances and a life long driving ban is a little much. Thank goodness that's not the law

mark

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@orioles93 said:

All this makes more sense when your sober. After one drink a little less so. After another maybe not as much. Young kids are prone to make more mistakes. People slip up. They make poor decisions. Not giving second chances and a life long driving ban is a little much. Thank goodness that's not the law

mark

Are you saying that drunk driving is just a mistake? A slip up? I would vehemently disagree. It is gross negligence. If people are incrementally unable to make rational decisions the more they drink then maybe we should close down drinking establishments. Drink all you want at home, I don't care but the minute you get in a vehicle impaired you are attempting to murder every single person you pass as you drive home. Do you disagree? I consider that a serious offence and as driving a motor vehicle is not a constitutionally guaranteed right, I think you should loose that privilege the minute you are convicted

• Options
    edited March 27, 2018 8:37PM

I’m saying people make mistakes all the time. People are well....... human. Disagree all you want. It’s your prerogative.

mark

• Options

I agree mark, people make mistakes all the time. no one more than me. But DUI is not a mistake. It is negligence. and it puts innocent people at risk.

How many chances should people get to put others lives at risk? 2? 3? 4? I think for this transgression, they should get 0 second chances. If one makes the CHOICE to drive impaired, they have chosen to give up their driving privilege for life. If a person is convicted for a felony, they loose their 2nd amendment guaranteed rights for life. why should someone putting innocent lives at risk using a privilege fall to a lesser standard?

• Options

Put me down for a second chance. I can live with a lifetime ban on the second convicted DUI

Mark

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    Just read that Albert Belle has been arrested for extreme DUI and indecent exposure. I didnt even know extreme DUI was a thing. Apparently if you are over .08 it is considered extreme. Too bad. I saw the mug shot and he looks so different I didnt even recognize him.

I thought over .08 makes you a regular DUI? I'd hate to find out what "extreme" would be.

But yeah that's our Joey Belle! The Dennis Rodman of baseball in the 90s! :)

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

I never did like adult beverages of any kind (the few I tried out were all nasty) and thus I gotta be the boring tee totaller of this group. But given how much trouble alcohol can cause, maybe that's for the best.

I guess I'm like Trump in this sense, I don't smoke/drink but I do have a fast/junk food vice.

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it was Frank Sinatra who said, "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they are going to feel all day." LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Most things in life done in moderation are fine

m

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

The people who bash people for drinking and driving, are the same people who text and drive lol.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options

@garnettstyle said:
    The people who bash people for drinking and driving, are the same people who text and drive lol.

I dont think I would make that same generalization. Is there any reason not to bash drinking and driving? I cant think of any.

• Options

If people are incrementally unable to make rational decisions the more they drink

that's why they drink and drive.

alcohol abuse and everything that goes along with it is just something that the people of the USA have voted to accept and deal with. we tried Prohibition and it proved worse than what you're railing against. I assume that if we were to follow the craig44 solution towards alcohol that in short order you would be begging for the old status quo.

the alcohol problem in America and traffic deaths related to it are overblown. there are much more serious problems for our legislators and Law Enforcement to deal with.

• Options

@keets said:
    If people are incrementally unable to make rational decisions the more they drink

that's why they drink and drive.

alcohol abuse and everything that goes along with it is just something that the people of the USA have voted to accept and deal with. we tried Prohibition and it proved worse than what you're railing against. I assume that if we were to follow the craig44 solution towards alcohol that in short order you would be begging for the old status quo.

the alcohol problem in America and traffic deaths related to it are overblown. there are much more serious problems for our legislators and Law Enforcement to deal with.

The alcohol problem and deaths related to it are overblown? Are you kidding? I am not calling for prohibition, just prohibition on dui. Drink all you want at home, I couldn't care less, but the minute you drive down the street loaded you should be held accountable for attempted murder and never drive again. Sound harsh? Good. People are so used to dui that they become flippant toward it.

The CDC reported that for years 2006-2010, 88,000/year died from alcohol. The economic cost of excessive alcohol consumption cost $249 billion for just 2010. Still sound overblown? You have got to be kidding.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know the stats but it seems texting while driving is about as deadly as drunk driving. I don't know the solution to these problems but what we are presently doing is not working.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:
    I don't know the stats but it seems texting while driving is about as deadly as drunk driving. I don't know the solution to these problems but what we are presently doing is not working.

I have been driving for a living for the last 17 years. You wouldn't believe what I see! I saw someone reading a paperback book while driving 65 miles an hour, women putting on makeup is another good one, they must want to have an attractive corpse.

Texting while driving is supposed to be about the same level of impairment as drunk driving, BUT you can put the phone down and become a safe driver. Once drunk/stoned, you are a menace until you stop the car.

Solution to texting and driving seems pretty simple to me. Make it so a phone traveling over 5 miles an hour will not be able to send or receive texts. You could also stop the entire phone from working as far as I am concerned. No one "needs" to be on the phone while driving. I was able to do it for years. 911 calls could be allowed.

My "solution" on drunk driving is after one dui mandatory treatment, after the next one, 5 years in jail. Other countries don't have a dui problem because they don't tolerate it.

• Options
    edited April 2, 2018 2:13PM

@garnettstyle said:

Don't look at me, I don't drive or use a touch screen phone :P

As for the women (somehow) trying to put on makeup while driving...can you imagine if let's say it's eyeliner and they suddenly hit a funny bump in the road? That could poke their eye out and it'd really hurt!! >_<

WISHLIST