Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Unopened pack collectors and submitters, I need your expertise

So I have some unopened baseball and football wax and cellos I want to submit. The only other time I subbed any, someone else on the board sent them in. How do you prepare them to send them in? Obviously with cards you put them in a card saver but not sure what to do with packs? Can you put them in the 25 card plastic snap boxes or is there some other way they need to be sent? Also, one of the packs has loose gum and I'm worried that it will pierce the wax pack either in transit or at some point after being slabbed. Is there a way of getting around this?? And finally, can anyone tell me about the logging/turnaround times. I know it says 70 days but not sure if they get logged in the same area as the cards are getting opened/logged and if the 70 days is pretty spot on with the turnaround? Thanks as always for your input!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2018 9:48AM

When I prepare a pack submission, I place each pack in a team bag with a top loader on back for support. Make sure you wrap or insulate the packs so that they are protected during transit. If you are sending in a bunch of packs, I place the packs upright inside the taller cardboard boxes PSA uses to send your graded packs back in and then place that box with lots of peanuts inside a larger shipping box.

Unfortunately, there is a risk that the wrapper will suffer a tear or tears when the pack is in transit, both pre and post grading, if the gum is loose or broken inside the wax pack. PSA will sometimes not holder a wax pack due to liability reasons when that is the case. Cello packs have no issues.

Turnaround time for a pack submission (on average) is approximately 4 months.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you!!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

Though all my raw packs were graded years ago I did a little different from what Tim said--I used cardboard rather than card savers. Sandwich the pack between 2 pieces of cardboard. The cardboard was more secure and then I wrapped the packs in bubble wrap -- then taped it. I did my best to reduce the possibility that the gum will be able to move during transit to PSA. This seemed to work -- I subbed well over 150 packs over the years with no problems. Of course, notwithstanding my efforts--PSA will not take as great of care in the return trip. But you can cut down the possibility of gum poking thru by 50% if you wrap it with great care on the trip there. I also took advantage of each opportunity to submit the packs in person at shows where PSA was accepting subs. Reduced the trip by many many miles and postal workers throwing the boxes all over the place.