Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Crossing over from 9.5 BGS into PSA 10....any general rules of thumb?

Can anyone out there offer any experience about when crossing over is worth the time....example: I have a BGS 9.5 with all 4 subgrades at 9.5...... Does this card likely crossover more than not into a PSA 10? Im sure cards vary by particulars of the card but just by and large......Thanks much

Comments

• Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

Seems like it is always nothing more than a roll of the dice. I would guess you aren't even looking at 50/50 odds of it crossing over to a 10.

• Options
    OdessafileOdessafile Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2018 3:44PM

@brendanb438 ...do you attribute that to an unfair bias or to a legitimate merit of the card quality?

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I gave up on cross overs. 25% chance maybe for what I collect. Went up to 40% cracked out.

Risk vs. reward.

The card will decide. Ignore the sub grades and make your own judgment. If the corner is touched. It’s touched. If the centering is just a touch off it’s a touch off.

If the goal is to get it into a PSA holder bid with the odds above. If money is no object then just roll the dice because there will be some hits.

• Options
    OdessafileOdessafile Posts: 440 ✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 I would infer from your breakdown that you take away some bias from PSA towards BGS based on the fact that cracking it out yields a better result......

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have two BGS cards, both with all 9.5 sub grades and planned on crossing them over. buddy of mine has had nothing but good luck crossing them into PSA 10's. im looking to hear other peoples stories as well.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

It's the card, not the holder that matters. Grading is an opinion. If the card meets psa 10 standards and the graded agrees with this, then your cards will cross. Sub grades and previous grades have not input....either the card meets psa 10 standards or it does not.

• Options

It depends upon whether they are looking to increase the 10 population or not. If you don't believe me, I have a bridge...

Unless it is some rare card that there is a 100% chance a "PSA 10" would bring considerably more than a "BGS 9.5", it seems silly to me to pay PSA for another opinion when you already have one. If this is all about trying to get more money out of someone because of the slab and the number on it, uggghhhhhh......

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2018 1:17PM

General rule when crossing in holder, though won't always work:

No subgrades less than target PSA grade (I personally have never seen one successful at least), ideally have at least one or more higher.

ETA: For PSA 10s, nothing less than 9.5 subgrade.

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can tell you from my personal experience, I've subbed 5 BGS cards with all sub-grades of 9.5. I can tell you I'm 4 for 5 and I'm 0-1 with 3 of the 4 being 9,5 the lone 9 was on surface. As you can see these are all newer cards.

2004 Bowman Chrome AFLAC Refractor Andrew McCutchen Auto went from a BGS 9.5 to a PSA 10
    2005 Topps Chrome Black Refractor Andrew McCutchen - Did not cross (Had a 9 on surface)
    2009 Topps Chrome Refractor Stephen Curry went from a BGS 9.5 to a PSA 10
    2010 Bowman Bryce Harper AFLAC Auto went from a BGS 9.5 to a PSA 10
    2011 Topps USA Baseball Austin Meadows Red Ink -Did Not cross (All subs 9.5)
    2012 Topps Archive Bryce Harper Fan Favorite Auto went from a BGS 9.5 to a PSA 10

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's about what I would expect. I've only tried one in a holder w/3 9.5s and a 10 subgrade and it crossed with no issue. Crack and resub on the cheaper cards, all my BGS 9.5s have come back PSA 10s.