Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Bought a 1954 Topps Hank Aaron rookie card!

BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

Recently, I decided to abandon my 1952 Topps set build because of the prohibitive nature of the high numbers. I was going to build the set just through #310 but it was bothering me that the set would not be complete. I have switched to a 1954 Topps set build instead. It's been fun so far, a very colorful set which does have some key HOF rookie cards (Hank, Al Kaline, Ernie Banks).
I just got this PSA 3 Henry Aaron this week and I'm pretty pleased with it. It took every cent of my snipe bid but I think it plays pretty nice for a 3.

Daniel

Comments

• Options
    OdessafileOdessafile Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2018 12:17PM

that card is a work of art....love the brave in the upper left hand corner.....I have a friend who collects among other things this one card in grades from authentic to psa 7...back when he was collecting PSA 7's were much, much cheaper..he must have 40 or 50 and he has had them for 30 plus years and still buys today though sparingly.....u have motivated me to get in touch with him.....your cards a BEAUT!

• Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭

Great card!

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking Hank. Congrats. Image quality is outstanding.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2018 12:36PM

Hiya Daniel

Congratulations buddy - that's a beauty!

The portrait if perfect and the colors look great.!

Best of luck with your new project.

Mike
  • Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Odessafile said:
    that card is a work of art.

You said it, Odessafile!

Congratulations, Daniel, on acquiring an iconic card!

Andy

Andy

• Options

Iconic card. Looks great for a 3 too - congrats on the pickup!

• Options
    lilmulelilmule Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭

That is a truly nice card. Congrats on your pickup.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

Thats a great looking card. Congrats

• Options
    MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

Nice! I’m looking for one now.

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

That is a gorgeous card! Ironically, I am 1 final card away from completing my 1954 Topps set registry in all PSA 4/5/6, and that final card is of course the Aaron rookie.

Good luck on your set!

• Options

Thanks, all, for the comments. The set build is coming along really well. The only big cards I still need are Mays, Ted Williams (#250) and Ernie Banks. I was surprised that the Lasorda card is as expensive as it is and I still need that as well. There are plenty of all these cards out there on eBay but I'm trying to hold out for good deals. I need about 35-40 cards to complete the set.

Daniel
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

very attractive 3 you have there. congrats

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BaltimoreYankee said:
    Thanks, all, for the comments. The set build is coming along really well. The only big cards I still need are Mays, Ted Williams (#250) and Ernie Banks. I was surprised that the Lasorda card is as expensive as it is and I still need that as well. There are plenty of all these cards out there on eBay but I'm trying to hold out for good deals. I need about 35-40 cards to complete the set.

That is excellent progress, and a heckuva nice PSA 3 Aaron.

I agree with ya - hold out for good deals...half the fun is in the chase. :)

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

The 54s is a beautiful set.I would only rank the 59 Topps set as a bit nicer in design.I believe the set is affordable considering the group of rookies in the set .I sold mine a while back in order to build me a 56 topps set and a 60 Topps set.
    In my opinion the 52 may be considered a grand daddy of the post war sets however but overpriced when you consider the fact that the Mays and mantle rookies were actually in the 51bowman set.Had not the large dump of the 52 Topps high numbers into the ocean we may be talking a different tune as my understanding the amount of cards dumped from 42 was enourmus.i will always consider the 51 bowman mantle and mays the true rookie card of each player and will stand firm on my opinion

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

Tony knows of what he speaks! Agreed on the eye appeal of the '54s. For whatever reason, I was able to get the key cards from the '51 Bowman, the '53 Topps, '55 Topps (in relatively modest grades) so I enjoy working on those sets. But never did save up to get the '54 Topps rookies. Maybe in the future? I would enjoy owning a '54 Aaron -- the OP's card is a terrific example! :)

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

Such an iconic card and not bad for the grade, nice pickup!!

• Options
    bensiebensie Posts: 59 ✭✭

What is it that makes that card a 3? I have a PSA 5, and yours looks pretty comparable to mine.

• Options

@bensie said:
    What is it that makes that card a 3? I have a PSA 5, and yours looks pretty comparable to mine.

It took me a while to see: There are 2 small creases on this card. If you look really closely at the scan of the back, where the stats say 'year' and 'life', there are creases that start at the 'Y' and 'L' and extend to the bottom (maybe a half inch). They don't go all the way through to the front of the cards as complete creases, more like bends when viewed from the front - you need to tilt the card in light to really see them.

Daniel
  • Options

Beautiful set, beautiful card