Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

This Hammer price is stunning; '76 #1 Registry; only $35K less than #1 '65 set; sold on same day

https://lelands.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=86006

This is an incredible price. Personally, I'm thrilled. Love the mid 70's cards. VCP pricing has this set at around $70K according to my math. But hard sales data doesn't do this set justice. The labor of putting this set together is rewarded, which added subjective value to the buyer, as well is should. Along with the fact that many of the 10's haven't sold in the last 1-3 years or longer, so VCP sales data is just that, data.

http://www.milehighcardco.com/Spectacular_1965_Topps_Baseball_Complete_Set__1_on-LOT56463.aspx

Hard to believe the delta on these two sets is only $35K. This is another incredible set.

Which one would you rather have?

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
Prefer to buy in bulk.

Comments

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would rather own the 1965 set...love '65 design.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

id rather have the 1965 set as well - one of my favorite designs, of the 1960s sets it's my 2nd favorite behind 1960

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

1965 for me.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

i actually put together a '65 raw set pre-internet days...prob should get them graded...love the design and even mantle and hof rc's are affordable...that's one set ill never sell

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

1965 for me

• Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

1965 for me. I sold my partially graded--but hi grade set--last year to help buy an engagement ring. Now that I am no longer engaged--I am putting together an even higher graded set--PSA8 and 9--just to show the Ex who is really in charge!

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

And the 100k for a 1991 topps set? B)

• Options
    OdessafileOdessafile Posts: 440 ✭✭✭

65 set all the way....'76 is likely to have more PSA 10's come to fruition than '65s .... I think the mid 60's sets are underrated ... Perez, Morgan and Carlton RC's get little respect ...Jim Palmer too in 66... and the '67's are clean and dynamite looking as well....'64 is only set that whole decade Im not crazy for.

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

The Carlton and Catfish Hunter rookies are some of my all time favorite cards. Had beautiful specimens of both back in the day before PSA.

• Options
    tbonewillytbonewilly Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

Wow, 2 more folks banned today? Wonder what happened there as I didn't see anything to me that would have caused an issue

Ken - Volunteered to work in Florida Keys, now freezing in Ohio
    Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball
    Collecting unopened 80's boxes and graded packs
    I may be hoarding too much 80's junk wax but I like it!
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tbonewilly said:
    Wow, 2 more folks banned today? Wonder what happened there as I didn't see anything to me that would have caused an issue

Not sure. Repub has been here for years. Not sure if it had anything to do with the post about "joining together against PSA on grading times" post. That post went poof as I knew it would today. I don't recall that either of them posted anything negative there. Going to be on my best behavior, lol!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's going to be a ghost town here shortly

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    tbonewillytbonewilly Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@tbonewilly said:

Not sure. Repub has been here for years. Not sure if it had anything to do with the post about "joining together against PSA on grading times" post. That post went poof as I knew it would today. I don't recall that either of them posted anything negative there. Going to be on my best behavior, lol!

I know...I wasn't sure if it was about the AI stuff. Yea, the join together was definitely going to cause some issues, but dang, oops, there goes my account shortly.. :s

Ken - Volunteered to work in Florida Keys, now freezing in Ohio
    Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball
    Collecting unopened 80's boxes and graded packs
    I may be hoarding too much 80's junk wax but I like it!
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

pretty much already is

• Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2018 5:37PM

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is so much debate about card values currently and in the future. This could easily be a 40 something that is loaded now and bought packs as a kid and said I have to have it. Really rare stuff finds a home at high prices. The long term in collectibles is very item specific. The 1976 Topps set is beautiful and is tough and has a great selection of players. Nice to see quality appreciated.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:
    There is so much debate about card values currently and in the future. This could easily be a 40 something that is loaded now and bought packs as a kid and said I have to have it. Really rare stuff finds a home at high prices. The long term in collectibles is very item specific. The 1976 Topps set is beautiful and is tough and has a great selection of players. Nice to see quality appreciated.

Being that 1976 was the first set I collected as a kid, it will always have a special place in my heart. I too am glad to see that set get some love.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@craig44 said:

why ?

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lawyer05 said:

@craig44 said:

why ?

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

1976 is one of the more modest designs of the 70s. The player silhouettes are a nice touch.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options

I have put together a high grade 65 set (card by card) and can tell you it is much more challenging than a 76 set. The 1964 set was tougher than the 1965 set!

• Options

@flatfoot816 said:
    1965 for me. I sold my partially graded--but hi grade set--last year to help buy an engagement ring. Now that I am no longer engaged--I am putting together an even higher graded set--PSA8 and 9--just to show the Ex who is really in charge!

Lmao

• Options
    demondeacsdemondeacs Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

Speaking of 76's, some of the prices on Greg Morris's recent 76 Topps set breaks are insane even for him. Just one example:

https://ebay.com/itm/1976-Topps-Set-Break-450-Jim-Palmer-NM-MT-OR-BETTER-GMCARDS/132924527856?hash=item1ef2eb54f0:g:YUYAAOSwm5xcQ6Jv

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

^ wow! Best that thing gets is a PSA 9, and those are definitely not selling for $170.

Andy

• Options
    ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

I wonder why he doesn't list his consignment rates on his website?

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Palmer is ridiculous! As a 9 it is a $40-50 card, and it’s likely an 8 due to upper right corner, which makes it $12-15. Corner wear in these scans is hard to see, they are all accurately graded but most are destined to be 8s.

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    The Palmer is ridiculous! As a 9 it is a $40-50 card, and it’s likely an 8 due to upper right corner, which makes it $12-15. Corner wear in these scans is hard to see, they are all accurately graded but most are destined to be 8s.

+1 If your buying raw cards in hopes of getting 9's, or even 8's, you would need to see high resoution photo of those corners. Even without that information, you'd have to be gullible enough to think someone is selling this card raw if it were a 9. You're far better off cracking out.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.