Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How do you not insure this?

I think I've seen it all now. I just purchased a PSA 3 1954 Topps Hank Aaron card. It is now the most valuable card that I own by far. Card was shipped from California to Maryland by USPS first class mail, in a manila mailer folded down to the size of the card (no extra cardboard or anything). No insurance!
The card arrived safe and sound. I'm not complaining but if I were the seller, I'd have that puppy insured and still sweat the whole transaction until I knew the buyer got it.
It's a really nice card. I will probably show it off here over the weekend!

Daniel

Comments

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

The seller may be self insured. He may have insurance on his collection that covers shipping.

James

• Options
    OdessafileOdessafile Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2018 5:54AM

he may be insured.....the packaging is another chapter....:) I look forward to seeing your Aaron for sure.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

With that little protection, I'd also be worried that the case would crack in shipping!

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jfkheat said:
    The seller may be self insured. He may have insurance on his collection that covers shipping.

James

That is true but I believe signature confirmation is required for all packages even with a third party insurance coverage plan.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

glad it got there safe and sound..... now lets see a pic

nice pick up

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's the answer........................seller is an idiot!

Glad it arrived safely.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Odessafile said:
    he may be insured.....the packaging is another chapter....:) I look forward to seeing your Aaron for sure.

I think the combination of responses all posted here are correct; in general, many people who sell higher value items carry collectibles insurance policies that include shipping in the coverage, though in this specific case, someone who under-packages an item like this is also unlikely to be someone who has such an insurance policy. To echo the already stated sentiment, glad to hear it arrived safely against the odds!

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fire up the scanner!

Arthur

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Here's the answer........................seller is an idiot!

Glad it arrived safely.

+1. This.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

many have insurance at a cheaper price as a separate policy then with the post office. Just becase you don't see it does not mean it does not exist.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

Whether there was insurance or not, there is no excuse for a crap packaging job. Just smacks of "I don't care. It's his now" attitude.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you got it safe and sound Daniel.

Now, let's see that scan!

Mike