Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

N172 Old Judge experts?

Currently on ebay is a N172 Tommy McCarthy auction. I believe this card was misidentified by PSA, but I certainly could be wrong.
I think the player on the card is John McCarty, not HOFer Tommy McCarthy. The Old Judge printing company mistakenly misspelled McCarty as McCarthy. The Kansas City is the main give away as Tommy McCarthy never played for the Kansas City Cowboys, but John McCarty did in 1888. PSA has mistakenly listed this as a variation of Tommy McCarthy. Any experts out there or amateur opinions?
PS: On the pop report it does not show any John McCarthy or McCarty? But does show up on the registry? Is this a rare one of one? Probably not? Value?

Comments

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

@jay0791 said:

This is definitely a different card. This player has black sox & black belt compared to white sox & belt on the other card. Unfortunately, SGC does not label the many different variations of the card as PSA does. There are about 6 or 7 variations, I think this would be throwing, inside background, Phila. Also, I do not think it is the same person, but it is very hard to tell for sure in the pics. Thank you for posting this one.

• Options

I would also like to add that the seller of the card posted my email to him on the listing to make potential buyers aware. A very honest and admiral decision on his part. kudos to the seller!!!!

• Options

• Options

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2018 12:20PM

According to "The Photographic Baseball Cards of Goodwin & Company (1886 - 1890)" by Jay Miller, Joe Gonsowski and Richard Masson, the first card (SGC) posted is pose 301-2 of HOFer Tommy McCarthy. The second card (PSA) is pose 302-1 of John A. (McCarty).

There are nine known poses of Tommy McCarthy, and three of John A. (McCarty).

All three McCarty poses misspell his name as "McCarthy", and identify him as a pitcher with Kansas City, while Tommy McCarthy is identified as either a second baseman or center fielder, with either St Louis or Philadelphia.

Steve

• Options

@SDSportsFan said:
    According to "The Photographic Baseball Cards of Goodwin & Company (1886 - 1890)" by Jay Miller, Joe Gonsowski and Richard Masson, the first card (SGC) posted is pose 301-2 of HOFer Tommy McCarthy. The second card (PSA) is pose 302-1 of John A. (McCarty).

All three McCarty poses misspell his name as "McCarthy", and identify him as a pitcher with Kansas City, while Tommy McCarthy is identified as either a second baseman or center fielder, with either St Louis or Philadelphia.

Steve

So if this is correct, than the PSA card in question is mislabeled, as it states Tommy McCarthy?

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CocoaBeachDodgers said:

@SDSportsFan said:

Steve

So if this is correct, than the PSA card in question is mislabeled, as it states Tommy McCarthy?

Correct......PSA mislabeled the John A. (McCarty) card.

Steve