Home Sports Talk
Options

Possibly bad news for the remainder of this Celtics season

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like an inordinate number of injuries this season.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup it seems like one of those years. Boston's been hit pretty hard with them lately although they just beat the Thunder without the Celtics starting backcourt plus their 2 best players off the bench. OKC with their three stars shouldn't be losing games like this.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

Calling Carmelo a star is borderline. He has not been a winner in the NBA and has shown that he can't carry a team. He can score but almost any player in the NBA can score if you give them enough shots. Carmelo has been overrated his entire career.

Robb

• Options

How you rank Carmelo is irrelevant to the point i was trying make that Westbrook,George & Melo are better than any trio of players Boston had on the floor last night. Boston was without their top two scorers & top three defenders and still managed to win the game.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2018 4:38PM

the "inordinate number of injuries" isn't a Celtic phenomenon, it has hit many Teams hard. I think the Warriors were missing four starters for a short period and the Cavs have battled injuries all season, I think they have 4-5 from their two rotations that are out, mainly back and leg ailments.

it might seem like the injuries shouldn't be happening in Basketball, but they essentially fall eight feet and slam onto a hardwood floor.

OUCH!!!

--- when I first heard about this I thought about how Irving initially suffered this injury in the 3rd or 4th game of the Cavs vs. Warriors first Championship. you might recall that Kevin Love had his arm broken by Kelly Olynyk of Boston earlier in the playoffs. had those two been healthy the outcome may have been different.

now Thomas is in LA and Irving is out for who knows how long just before the playoffs. the principals in last summer's big trade are absent from the court and...........................after 15 seasons of rough ball Lebron James has NEVER had any sort of serious injury. that's amazing to me when I watch the play under the rim and what these players endure during a long season.

• Options

Well Lebron is a freak of nature so his injury history or lack of is no surprise. As for the trade principals,Boston is so far ahead just for the fact that they didn't get stuck handing IT his Brinks truck.
    This has definitely been a brutal year for injuries around the league and there's a good chance that Kyrie & John Wall are either out or not a 100% come playoff time. My only point above was that a team starting three All-Stars including the reigning MVP shouldn't have lost to that Celtics lineup that night.

on a sidenote i heard about this on the radio earlier and it is hilarious. Sounds like Kyrie has some competition for the NBA's biggest quack.
    https://deadspin.com/jordan-clarkson-has-a-theory-that-dinosaurs-were-really-1823901130

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

LBJ is truly an Iron Man.

I do not think that there is any player in the history of the NBA who has played as many games as he LBJ has played during his 15 seasons in the league [per Basketball Reference.com it appears that including this year LBJ will have played in the playoffs 13 out of his 15 seasons in the league, with him playing in the playoffs for 13 straight years from the 2005-2006 season through the current 2017-2018 season; with him playing in his 15 seasons so far 1132 regular season games (averaging 75.46 games played per season, which average would be higher if not for the shortened lockout 2011-2012 season) ; with him playing 217 playoff games in the past 12 seasons (which is the equivalent of an additional 2.88 regular seasons (at 75.46 games per season) and by the time this year's playoffs are complete he will likely have played an additional 3 regular seasons of basketball].

Thus LBJ by the end of this season will have spent 15 years in the NBA and played the equivalent of 18 regular seasons. Add in the games he has played in the Olympics and other international tournaments. During this time he has not suffered any major injury and his level of play has not dropped off.

As I said he is an Iron Man.

The only other players I think who may have come close to LBJ's durability are Tim Duncan, Karl Malone, Robert Parish, Kareem and multiple players for the Celtics in the 1950's and 1960's.

• Options

Karl Malone is a good comparison,both are built like Mack trucks. Lebron could probably play LB,TE or DE in the NFL at a high level too.

• Options

Lebron doesn't play the minutes he used to so that helps him now. back to injuries, how much has Kawhi Leonard played this year??

• Options

i think its safe to say that Kawhi's problems are in his head this point. His coaches & teammates have been trying to get him back with the team for awhile now.

• Options

if it's physical or psychological doesn't really matter. it's all the result of that ankle injury last year.

right now, Steph Curry is out three weeks and Kyrie Irving is out 3-6 weeks. ankles, knees, hips and shoulders take a pounding on the hardwood. they had a close-up of Kevin Love's right shoulder the other day showing a nasty bruise he suffered in the first game back after seven weeks on the sidelines for a broken hand!!!

OUCH.......................... :)

• Options
    edited April 5, 2018 10:57AM

Reports out that Kyrie's season is done and will have knee surgery.
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23040436/kyrie-irving-boston-celtics-season-playoffs

I guess the only positive that might come from this is young players like Tatum,Brown & Rozier all will have a larger role come playoff time.

• Options

Major bummer. I was looking forward to seeing Irving perform in the playoffs this year.

• Options

if someone would have told me last September that both Thomas and Irving, the principals in "The Trade" last year, would both see their season's end with surgery I would have said "NO WAY!!" this shifts the whole Eastern Conference playoff picture and now the no's 5-8 are hopeful of advancing.

• Options

If they can win a round or two with all these young players I think that would be great for them experience-wise going forward. The one thing they have going for them is they can still lock-it down on defense. They'll lose Kyrie's offense but replace him with a great defender in Rozier.
    They'll still be fun to watch either way.

• Options

I think the Celtics will probably exit after round one.

• Options

Maybe. They're still pretty good without him, going 10-3 with Rozier starting at PG and they've been better on defense too. I don't think they get to the finals but i can see them making it to round 2. Washington,Miami & Milwaukee are all bottom seeds for a reason,they're not really that good.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy crap the 76ers are en fuego.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Holy crap the 76ers are en fuego.

mark

the sixers are nasty. what an enticing destination for lbj. can you imagine him, simmons and embiid on the floor together? oh my god

• Options

led by Lebron the Cavs staged a pretty good comeback and lost only because they ran out of time. I believe if Cleveland had one time-out left they could have taken it, started at half-court and gotten off a shot, either Love or Korver.

woulda, coulda, shoulda.....................it was one of the most exciting games I've seen this season!!

it appeared that the Thursday game against Washington took its toll on Cleveland and then, in the second half, the beginning of the game took its toll on Philly. all those fast breaks added up and the Team looked gassed at the end while Cleveland was rejuvenated out of the locker room.

with the length of the season and pace of games I see no reason for back-to-backs like that, it affects every Team and distorts too many games. all that aside, I think the Teams are as close as they looked last night and if they meet again it will be a good match-up.

• Options

can you imagine him, simmons and embiid on the floor together? oh my god

well, earlier in the year when Embiid was healthy and the Cavs were not I think the Teams split. as it is, Cleveland played last night without a point guard and the Sixers without a true center, so like I said, the Teams are close. I believe Lebron probably wants to stay wher he is with this new, promising group and whoever the Cavs take in the draft.

of course, you guys can speculate as well and perhaps he will sign with your Team, in which case you can love him instead of what is typically hate. they did a short segment post-game where they talked about the fans in attendance last night jeering Lebron every time he was involved in something negative. those same fans will freak out if he plays there next year every time he dunks like he did yesterday.

• Options
    edited April 7, 2018 2:34PM

@keets said:
    can you imagine him, simmons and embiid on the floor together? oh my god

I think that sounds better than it probably would be. Lebron & Simmons both need the ball in their hands to be at their best and where Lebron has won championships with an elite scorer as his sidekick(Wade & Kyrie),Simmons isn't that type of player on offense. His biggest weakness right now is his jumpshot. Obviously that could get better in the coming years but how long,who knows. Then you have Embiid's injury history that makes Gronk look like Cal Ripken. The trio might be entertaining at times & sell tickets but Lebron wants to win now and i think his best shot is either staying in Cleveland or going to either Houston with Harden/Paul or LA with Paul George & whoever Magic can go trade for.
    If he stays with the Cavs,he already has a solid core around him and a GM who is willing to go get what is needed. You have guys like Durant,George,Cousins,Paul & DeAndre Jordan all hitting free agency this summer not to mention players available for trade like Kawhi Leonard who it looks like is done in SA. Cleveland can use that Nets pick to add one more big piece and they're probably on GS's level.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

This years NBA playoffs ought to be real exciting.

• Options
    edited April 7, 2018 8:02PM

@keets said:
    led by Lebron the Cavs staged a pretty good comeback and lost only because they ran out of time. I believe if Cleveland had one time-out left they could have taken it, started at half-court and gotten off a shot, either Love or Korver.

woulda, coulda, shoulda.....................it was one of the most exciting games I've seen this season!!

it appeared that the Thursday game against Washington took its toll on Cleveland and then, in the second half, the beginning of the game took its toll on Philly. all those fast breaks added up and the Team looked gassed at the end while Cleveland was rejuvenated out of the locker room.

with the length of the season and pace of games I see no reason for back-to-backs like that, it affects every Team and distorts too many games. all that aside, I think the Teams are as close as they looked last night and if they meet again it will be a good match-up.

That and missed James free throws. It spoiled a remarkable night for him. He's human after all

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

I think Lebron will stay in Cleveland but I also think that the Cavs will move to help him now.

the NBA is changing now to a point where there are big's and big-big's, many of the premier players are inter-changeable at 2-3 positions. I think the odd man out in Cleveland will be Tristan Thompson. I like him and what he does but there are other players who can do what he does and are much faster. if Larry Jr. puts on a little weight he could be that man but I think the Cavs will add with the draft and free agency.

is it possible they would chase after Leonard if he checks out OK??

**That and missed James free throws. **
    all things considered in that game, I think at the end the Cavs needed Kevin Love to shoot instead of Cedi Osmand.

• Options

@keets said:
    I think Lebron will stay in Cleveland but I also think that the Cavs will move to help him now.

the NBA is changing now to a point where there are big's and big-big's, many of the premier players are inter-changeable at 2-3 positions. I think the odd man out in Cleveland will be Tristan Thompson. I like him and what he does but there are other players who can do what he does and are much faster. if Larry Jr. puts on a little weight he could be that man but I think the Cavs will add with the draft and free agency.

is it possible they would chase after Leonard if he checks out OK??

There's been a lot of rumors about a possible Leonard to the Celtics trade that would involve 3-4 1st round picks plus matching salary going out to SA and i don't see that deal ever happening. If Boston brought him in they'd have 4 players on max deals which would kill their cap situation or they'd have to give up one of Kyrie,Hayward or Horford. The first two wouldn't happen & SA wouldn't want Horford. For Cleveland to have a chance,it would take that Nets pick,probably another Cavs 1st or two,then some combination of young players with salary filler. Tristan or JR would almost definitely be in it just for their contracts,then possibly some combo of Zizic,Nance,Osman & Clarkson. Cleveland would have to give up alot but they'd be getting the best 2way player in the NBA when he's healthy. I'd doubt SA would want Love in return when they have Aldridge who has the same type of game already on a max deal.
    If James stays and they attempt to trade for another star player it would pretty much be something like the scenario above or kind of like the the Kyrie deal based around that Nets pick. Right now that Nets pick sits in the 7/8 spot and could end up 6th or 9th depending on how it all plays out. If it doesn't land top 3 in the lottery it might lose more value if a team or two behind them get in the top 3 pushing the Nets further back.
    I don't know the Cavs cap situation but there's always the possibility of a sign & trade but it all comes down to Lebron's decision before all else.

• Options

30 years from now the NBA will feature 7'0', 260 pound point guards with the skill set of the best point guards of today; and other players ranging up to 8'6" tall and 380 lbs who will have the skill set to play all positions on the floor. The baskets will be raised to 12 feet high, the floor will be increased by 30' in length and 20' in width to accommodate the larger players. The three point line will be extend to 28' from the basket and a four point line will be installed that will be 32' from the basket in the corners and up to 38' from the basket directly in front of the rim.

The shot clock will be shortened to 16 seconds and the length of the game will be increased to 60 minutes consisting of 4 15 minute quarters.

Average scores during a regular season will range from a low of 150 points to a high of over 200, per team. Any team that scores less than 120 in a game will be ridiculed.

The league will expand and be global, with teams located in 6 of the 7 continents. Players as young as 16 years of age will be allowed to play professionally in the league (and LeBron James' 16 year old, 7'2', 290 pound shooting guard grandson whose skills at 16 are much better than LeBron in the 2017-2018 season will be the #1 global draft pick for the 2048-2049 season).

The league will have continental divisions playing in North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa and "Down Under". The regular season will start each year by September 15, with a two week training camp starting on 9-1. The regular season will have 60 games in each Continental Division and will end in by February 28. Global Playoffs will begin and take place during March and April. Each winner of the Continental Division playoffs, plus 2 wild card teams will make up the 8 team Global playoffs that will start in May and finish by June 10 with the crowning of the Global champion.

Average salaries of player in the league will be $50 million per year, with the veteran minimum being $10 million. The best players will have long term contracts topping $1 billion.

Can't wait for the 2017-2018 playoffs to begin.

• Options

nice fantasy, Kevin, but NONE of it realistic or probable.

• Options

Keets.

Fantasy indeed, but it would not surprise me to see pro basketball 30 year from now being much different than it is today, maybe including 1 or 2 of the things I mentioned in my post of yesterday.

Think of basketball 30-50 years ago, Who would have imagined then what the best player of today are like (i.e. LeBron James).

• Options
    edited April 9, 2018 11:49AM

I think the single biggest difference from today vs. 30 years ago is that the players can now grab and hold the rim when they dunk. back then I am pretty certain it was illegal. that meant a player would lay-up or dunk and risk serious injury. today they can drive and go airborne with the help of the rim to protect themselves.

I did a quick check and can't find any reference to holding the rim as illegal or when a rule change might have been made. I could just have a bad memory. :)

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

Agree that Simmons and Lebron are not really a good fit together. I think Lebron would be crazy to leave the East. He only has to beat one good team a year to make the NBA finals. The West has most of the top teams and top talent in the league. We have already seen that GMs can create super teams pretty easily if the players cooperate. So I don't think it will be that hard for him to choose any team in the East and partner with an all star or two.

Robb

• Options

@keets said:
    I think the single biggest difference from today vs. 30 years ago is that the players can now grab and hold the rim when they dunk. back then I am pretty certain it was illegal. that meant a player would lay-up or dunk and risk serious injury. today they can drive and go airborne with the help of the rim to protect themselves.

I did a quick check and can't find any reference to holding the rim as illegal or when a rule change might have been made. I could just have a bad memory. :)

They probably changed it when Chocolate Thunder shattered a backboard then came down holding the rim ;)

kidding aside i'm pretty sure they allowed players limited time holding the rim to prevent guys from dunking then having momentum taking their legs out from under them causing them to land on their back or worse. Nowadays guys can dunk,let their body swing forward then swing back before landing upright.

• Options

@fergie23 said:
    Agree that Simmons and Lebron are not really a good fit together. I think Lebron would be crazy to leave the East. He only has to beat one good team a year to make the NBA finals. The West has most of the top teams and top talent in the league. We have already seen that GMs can create super teams pretty easily if the players cooperate. So I don't think it will be that hard for him to choose any team in the East and partner with an all star or two.

Robb

The only problem with the East scenario is what teams can afford adding more than one max contract at the same time? We know the Lakers will have 2 slots for max deals after their trade deadline deal with Cleveland then renouncing a couple guys this offseason.
    In the East, the Pacers,Hawks & 76ers in that order will have the most cap space to possibly add one max-type player. They might be able to free up some more by renouncing certain guaranteed contracts but then they'll end up like Boston who had to field half a roster of rookies on very cheap contracts.
    One of those teams might be able to sign Lebron then try to trade salary for salary to acquire a 2nd star player but i bet we won't see too many teams looking to help out Lebron's new team getting stronger unless its some great package coming in return.

• Options

Remember back when there was team loyalty. Players stayed on the same team for their whole career. That was a great time. Now it's all about money. No care at all about the team......really sad!

I know that no one else here cares and you all think I'm nuts..so flame away!! :)B)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    Remember back when there was team loyalty. Players stayed on the same team for their whole career. That was a great time. Now it's all about money. No care at all about the team......really sad!

I know that no one else here cares and you all think I'm nuts..so flame away!! :)B)

It had little to do with loyalty. The players movement was more restricted then. The players had less options. Management also has to use the alloter cap space at each slot. It is a business whether we like it or not. Not so romantic

Mark

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

It had little to do with loyalty. The players movement was more restricted then. The players had less options. Management also has to use the alloter cap space at each slot. It is a business whether we like it or not. Not so romantic

Mark

I know what you are saying Mark........I just have a lot of respect for players like Stan Musial and Bill Russell and the like.

I think some of it was team Loyalty, but like you said it's a business and it's all about money. It's like the playoffs. I remember
    when they played Baseball with no Divisions....just NL & AL. At the end of the season the team at the top of each League played each other in the World Series. Now they play the whole season to see which half doesn't get to go to the playoffs,

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

did those kids get off your lawn yet?

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

did those kids get off your lawn yet?

Is that the best you can come up with??!! ;)