Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would not surprise me if the submitter put 10 Pf on the form and PCGS didn't even check.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, it happens. PCGS calls it "Mechanical Error" and will fix it free of charge, but at their own pace. The last one I sent in to get corrected took about 3 months.

There was also a Carlos IV 8 Reales in PCGS plastic on eBay a few days ago with a holder that said Real and with certificate number that linked to 1 Real coin facts page.

• Options

@ajaan said:
    It would not surprise me if the submitter put 10 Pf on the form and PCGS didn't even check.

That's pretty sad. Essentially defeats the purpose of POP reports, why bother if you're not going to verify a denomination?

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kriska15 said:

@ajaan said:

That's pretty sad. Essentially defeats the purpose of POP reports, why bother if you're not going to verify a denomination?

No big deal. You have done a job the public is useful for - millions of eyes looking for an error. Congratulations, and tank you for your post.

Graders examine hundreds of coins a day. Usually more than one set of eyes on each coin. Then folks put them into slabs. At least once a week, our guys (not professional numismatists) catch something the professional graders missed. Sometimes the coins even get slabbed and the QC folks catch it. Guess what? Every so often I'm very sad to say a coin gets out with a "mechanical error" - just a fancy term for five to six dummies not paying attention to the thousands & thousands of coins they look at a week. Oh my, I'm guilty. :(

Now, we can move on. :)

• Options

@Insider2 said:

@Kriska15 said:

@ajaan said:

No big deal. You have done a job the public is useful for - millions of eyes looking for an error. Congratulations, and tank you for your post.

Graders examine hundreds of coins a day. Usually more than one set of eyes on each coin. Then folks put them into slabs. At least once a week, our guys (not professional numismatists) catch something the professional graders missed. Sometimes the coins even get slabbed and the QC folks catch it. Guess what? Every so often I'm very sad to say a coin gets out with a "mechanical error" - just a fancy term for five to six dummies not paying attention to the thousands & thousands of coins they look at a week. Oh my, I'm guilty. :(

Now, we can move on. :)

You have multiple people looking at a single coin, and not one can notice the appropriate denomination? What else are they potentially missing then. It completely undermines the process, especially when multiple people cannot see the most blaring part of the coin.

How I look at it is, they don't bother to check if the submission is accurate. If he says its a quarter, its a quarter.

But, if people are indifferent to poor QA/QC, then I guess it doesn't really matter.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

I have been friends with and spoken to graders at established TPG's and they say that a grader spends 10-15 seconds, typically, grading a coin .. with some going to 20-30 seconds if a problem. Then 2 more sets of eyes look at it, normally. They're not looking at the date or denom .. they're looking at the fields and design. It's nice to see your grading dollars hard at work.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

@syl said:
    I have been friends with and spoken to graders at established TPG's and they say that a grader spends 10-15 seconds, typically, grading a coin .. with some going to 20-30 seconds if a problem. Then 2 more sets of eyes look at it, normally. **They're not looking at the date or denom **.. they're looking at the fields and design. It's nice to see your grading dollars hard at work.

I would think especially if the coins wasn't a US coin.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

I assume however that the grader in not the one putting the information on the label. However, the finaliser should approve grade and label. No matter how we see it, they failed! Sure they will fix it, just wait the 4 months it will take...

• Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

Mistakes happen.

I've had about a dozen mechanical errors fixed. PCGS handled them very professionally, with no cost to me. And the turnaround time was a few weeks, certainly not the 3 months that 2K experienced.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kriska15 said: "You have multiple people looking at a single coin, and not one can notice the appropriate denomination? What else are they potentially missing then. It completely undermines the process, especially when multiple people cannot see the most blaring part of the coin. How I look at it is, they don't bother to check if the submission is accurate. If he says its a quarter, its a quarter."

Yikes, you found a coin that is mislabeled. Thank you for your service. I'll bet you can find others if you spend a few hours on the Internet. You know what? There are a bunch of other "perfectionists" who collect "mechanical errors." Linking that coin may increase its selling price. :)

I wish I could be perfect. Unfortunately, I am not and I don't know any one who is. My guess is you are not a long time collector. A long time ago, before TPGS were around, most folks who thought themselves to be perfect were stripped of their money with over-graded coins and counterfeits. That's one reason folks should be very thankful TPGS exist today. A few "mechanical errors," slow turnaround times, and some counterfeits that slipped thru are NOTHING in the big scale of things!

@Kriska15 said: "But, if people are indifferent to poor QA/QC, then I guess it doesn't really matter."

Yes and no. TPGSs are not indifferent to errors; however, it doesn't matter because it will happen again in spite of all the checks and safeguards. <3

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

If the grading is correct then the error in the label is not a big problem. In the set registry will it go in the 5 or 10 slot? Some of us even collect these goof ups and keep them as show and tell items.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the issue is often the grading, as it is not always consistent. I have seen some coins in hand that I definitely questioned the grading (not mine). That is NOT mechanical, and really wish I had access to the graders to discuss my concerns. Some basic issues such as raised lines versus hairlines, etc.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.