Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Finally picked up a David Hall Flip...Let's see yours!

OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 20, 2018 8:48AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Sadly, it's just your bog standard, run of the mill Frankie, but beggars can't be choosers. :D

Comments

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's the "investment" worth today? ;)

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crack that sucker out and send to PCGS and see what it grades. :D

How things have changed from the early years: "GEM PROOF / Mint State 65" . (I assume today it would be PR65 not MS65).

Just as well that it is a common Franklin, since I assume the value to most would be in the holder, not the coin.

(It is inside a capsule, inside the flip, correct?).

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice piece of numismatic history, congrats :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if they'd TrueView that and leave it in the flip.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like them!

• Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

NICE! Love the old David Hall flips.

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cameonut Love BOTH of yours!

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think I have ever seen one graded anything but MS or PF 65.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just sold one on the BST board. It was an older one with the beige colored insert.

• Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2018 5:39PM

@CommemKing said:
    I just sold one on the BST board. It was an older one with the beige colored insert.

And a big thank you!

This one is in the mail too

Looking for a walker...anyone?

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beats the tar out of the one that I don't have!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 38-D is a killer! :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

Don't see many 64's.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

I would love to see a separate thread showing off you David Hall Holder collection. Just putting that out there :p

Did that but the search function is so bad, not sure it's findable! :D

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

love the 38 d buffalo nickel. i could take them all day long :)

• Options
    TopoftheHillTopoftheHill Posts: 180 ✭✭✭

The flips posted on this page appear to be the old PVC vinyl flips, which would be harmful in long term storage if true.

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coins are secured in air tight cointains before they are placed in the PVC flips.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CommemKing said:
    The coins are secured in air tight cointains before they are placed in the PVC flips.

Yes, I was going to say, it looks like most of the coins are in 'kointains'.....

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found one, Thanks @coindeuce !

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any David Hall 1938-D Buffalo Nickels for sale?

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 7, 2018 7:22AM

I see some up grades. Looks like Dave like MS65 some very nice coins. On the op coin it says Proof coin MS65 so is it a error holder as well? So it was NIG before PCGS Very cool to look back and see how far you come.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Real nice coins,

• Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked this one off ebay recently

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

its always nice to see them very early slabs

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not quite the same, but it's close. The note says "I think there's some change this TPG idea might catch on"

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny how everything posted here is a 65........ Back in the day that must have been very special?

OINK

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

One more...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Almost everything is a 65. Kinda silly, really.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first time that I heard of David Hall was in August 1973. I was at the BRNA show in Birmingham,Alabama where I was set up, for the first time, as a bourse dealer. It was Sunday afternoon and I was ready to pack up and head for home. A dealer next to me,excitably said, that David Hall was on the floor. I said who is David Hall? The dealer said that he was a large buyer. I decided to wait until he got around to my table. I do not remember what he bought from me except for one coin. He bought an 1800 Silver Dollar B-19 , the AMERICAI reverse, in a very nice AU. for $995. That was the most expensive coin that I had at the show.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file