Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the most beautiful coin you've ever seen?

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone has the "favorite" coin(s) in their collection, but what is the most beautiful coin you've ever seen that includes all aspects of what it means to be a great coin ie: Strike, Luster, Condition, Eye Appeal, Color, etc..

It is an easy question, that if you think about it, can be a very difficult one as there are so many gorgeous coins out there. For me, I recall seeing this coin somewhere and it just so happens that its on Coinfacts. This coin for me is 100%. It has history, beautiful colors, a solid strike and is such a simple uncluttered coin. It has just the date, Liberty and the good ole' U.S.A. on the back.
BTW, I do not own this coin.

PCGS MS67

Later, Paul.

Comments

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing coin.....so beautiful in every way. Sorry you are not the owner.

• Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭

Most beautiful for me is a 1917 T1 SLQ.

Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options

@Moldnut said:
    Most beautiful for me is a 1917 T1 SLQ.

I would love to see a picture of this coin if you could please load one up for us.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

No images. Many years ago, I saw a 1799 Heraldic Eagle Bust $. It had dark, even midnight blue toning on both obverse and reverse, with even satin luster. Picture a glistening MS 65 BN large cent, except in a midnight blue.
    Surfaces were flawless, and the coin was exceptionally well struck. It was in a PC MS 64 holder, because it was deemed to have color too think to be put into an MS 65 holder. Never seen another one like it

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

Tough to say because there is a lot of great stuff. The first time I actually did a double take because of a coin was at the Legend booth in CoinFest 2012- both versions of the PanPac $50 standing side by side. Made an impression.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

The "most beautiful coin in the world" is the Maria Teresia taler, or so they always tried to tell us whenever the coin was hyped by the big coin merchants. :s

I never fell for it, though. Any of the coins posted here are far more attractive than a MTT.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

The MCMVII (1907) Ultra High Relief Saint Gaudens double eagle gets my vote.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    privaterarecoincollectorprivaterarecoincollector Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stooge said:
    Everyone has the "favorite" coin(s) in their collection, but what is the most beautiful coin you've ever seen that includes all aspects of what it means to be a great coin ie: Strike, Luster, Condition, Eye Appeal, Color, etc..

It is an easy question, that if you think about it, can be a very difficult one as there are so many gorgeous coins out there. For me, I recall seeing this coin somewhere and it just so happens that its on Coinfacts. This coin for me is 100%. It has history, beautiful colors, a solid strike and is such a simple uncluttered coin. It has just the date, Liberty and the good ole' U.S.A. on the back.

PCGS MS67

you do not own it, but did you ever see it in person ?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The PanPac Octagonal $50 Gold coin has always been a standout favorite of mine.... There are truly beautiful coins in the world...too many to name... Certainly the UHR Saint is high on my list....and I really like my 1909D $5 Indian ....Yeah, I guess I just like nice coins... :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

@privaterarecoincollector said:

@Stooge said:

PCGS MS67

Unfortunately I haven't. I would pay to see this coin though.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,844 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can’t pick a most beautiful . Too many are too appealing... and one just cant do it.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Weiss...........

:p

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Topstuff... Hey buddy!
    I'll give you $30 more than you paid for that tarnished up Cowboy dollar! ;)

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

I mean, yeah. That's a pretty morgan.

The mint made something like 650,000,000 morgan dollars. The Pittman act led to the melting of about 250,000,000.

So get you a rare cowboy dollar fast. There are only a few hundred million left to go around ;)

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    privaterarecoincollectorprivaterarecoincollector Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stooge said:

@privaterarecoincollector said:

@Stooge said:

PCGS MS67

Unfortunately I haven't. I would pay to see this coin though.

I doubt its as nice as at the photo.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Meltdown said:
    Hey Topstuff... Hey buddy!
    I'll give you $30 more than you paid for that tarnished up Cowboy dollar! ;)

I do not deal with aliases. :D

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Attractive toning can make almost anything beautiful. As struck and untoned, my all time favorite is probably the 1907 Extremely High Relief $20; but there are some beautiful commemoratives and that Pan Pac Slug above.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TennesseeDave said:
    This is definitely a contender.

Holy Hermon Atkins MacNeil!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of good ones here! Here's a modern one I love:

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2018 10:31AM

@TennesseeDave said:
    This is definitely a contender.

That’s the Type 1 I want for my type set! Anyone know who owns it?

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Impossible to pick just one. ;)

• Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seen with my own little eyes? Sadly, none.
    Seen in photos and lusted after? It's a tie between the octagonal $50 Pan Pac and the Libertas Americana silver medal shown on the cover of the 2nd ed of Numismatic Art in America

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bag Burn.

Not equipped to do a pic, but eventually will be . . . . . . . I know Todd could drop one in here, but he works so hard, I don't want to bug him.

Drunner

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember seeing a 3 cent silver in rare coin wholesale in MS67, It was just stunning a small jewel dripping with luster and eye appeal.

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    JOsborneJOsborne Posts: 115 ✭✭✭

@dpoole said:
    Lots of good ones here! Here's a modern one I love:

I wondered how long this thread would last before someone ruined it with a modern.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

The most beautiful coin I have seen is the 1795 $10 owned by PRCC, and his avatar. This will be the next $10mm coin, assuming he holds it 10 years.

• Options

Love the colors on this spectacular coin!

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:
    The 1932 Polish 10 Zloty Proof
    A two-year series with a combined mintage of 12,000,000 circulation strikes.
    The years immediately following their release would take a terrible toll on Poland and the region, mirrored by this series' survivors. Of the nearly 1,000 pieces graded by PCGS and NGC, only two pieces have made MS65 with none higher by either TPG.

Poland had contracted with the London Mint to help with production. London took it upon themselves to strike a few proofs of their work. Only two are known. At PF65, this is the highest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyLqqnVo-Sw&feature=youtu.be

Weiss, this coin has been a favourite of mine for a long time.
    Beautiful!

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2018 3:59AM

The "most beautiful coin in the world" is the Maria Teresia taler, or so they always tried to tell us whenever the coin was hyped by the big coin merchants. :s

I never fell for it, though. Any of the coins posted here are far more attractive than a MTT.
    I totally agree with you, but this one is the prettiest Maria Theresa (restrike) I ever saw (and owned). I should never have let this one get away.

I “made” this one a few years back. Got at a local dealer for around $30. I sold it a few years back. I should have kept it. She is beautiful, that’s for sure.

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

@giorgio11 said:
    I've been thinking about this question for a while now. I have been fortunate in my life to see a lot of fantastic coins, both as a dealer and for many years as a consultant for Heritage Auctions. As a lover of pristine copper coins and coins with great history, I think the most beautiful coin I ever personally saw was this one, the Partrick Collection (ex: Garrett) Judd-4 1792 pattern Birch cent graded MS65*RB by NGC (oh, and it had a CAC sticker). This is just my quick iPhone shot of the coin when we were cataloging it. There are much better photos around ... It brought $2.585 million with BP:

Here's the link to the Heritage lot (and better photos):

https://coins.ha.com/itm/patterns/1792-p1c-birch-cent-judd-4-pollock-5-ms65-red-and-brown-ngc-cac/a/1216-5504.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Kind regards,

George

Hard to argue with pristine early US coppers. What I want to see is a vibrant TrueView image of this one ........

pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/507170

Handled it (drooled) at the 1999 EAC show-n-tell. Unfortunately it's still "cloak and dagger" as to a really great image. :#

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file